[rant] Entertainment Rants

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [rant] Entertainment Rants

Post by reboundstudent on Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:13 pm

I've been impressed with the romance genre in the past few years in that they've managed to side-step a lot of usual and problematic tropes. But there is one that is so specific, and so persistent, that I am just blown-away.... the Skinny, Beautiful Heroine who not only doesn't realize she's beautiful/skinny, but eats "like a cool girl." And of course, the Male Hero always admires her ability to eat and "not agonize over every last morsel she puts in her mouth" while simultaneously admiring how skinny and svelte she is ("he could wrap his hands around her waist with ease.")

Seriously, what is this? That's not a hypothetical question; romance writers/readers, why do we love this trope? What is the appeal of this? I demand someone explain this, because running across this trope always destroys any enjoyment I was getting from the story. Quit killing my lady boner with this ridiculous trope, writers! Gah!
reboundstudent

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:01 pm

Ugh, Jonathan Franzen. Stop. Just stop. Or at least look at the stories you're telling about yourself. Look at what they say about you.
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp on Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:56 pm

Far too much stand-up comedy relies on toxic beliefs and ideas, the most prominent of which is gender essentialism and sexism.
The Wisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:48 am

Edit: Ehhhh, I'm gonna play a little take-backsies, I found a blog by the writer and he more fully explains a lot about stuff with "My Friend Dahmer."

Last edited by bomaye on Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp on Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:20 pm

The Wisp wrote:Far too much stand-up comedy relies on toxic beliefs and ideas, the most prominent of which is gender essentialism and sexism.

And the bullying goes both ways. My mom is just watching a Wanda Sykes bit where she's slut shaming middle-aged men who have ED. Facepalm

ETA: And now just shaming them in general for it...
The Wisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp on Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:33 pm

You know what? I'm going to link it because it's a perfect example of how straight male sexuality is rather savagely shamed, and how the culture supports that (the crowd, particularly women in it, were laughing their asses off).

At 1:14:45 is the worst part, in my view, though the whole bit is bad.

EDIT: Fixed start time in link.

EDIT2: Now the video isn't showing up for me, here's the link: https://youtu.be/MbTNItxRq4M?t=1h12m25s

Last edited by The Wisp on Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:00 am; edited 3 times in total
The Wisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:41 pm

<mod>This thread is a great place to rant about the comedian or the audience response to her comedy. It is not the right place to complain about past or expected responses to your comments from people here, or to pursue arguments that you may have had elsewhere on the site. Cut that out and don't do it again, or we will have to limit your use of rants threads. </mod>
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp on Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:44 pm

Sorry. I edited out the reference to other posters.
The Wisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:46 pm

Thanks!
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature on Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:10 am

Oh man, I'm so happy CLAMP have brought XXXHolic back from the hiatus, but basically nothing happens in the new chapters. I haven't checked out the recent Tsubasa stuff, though, maybe that's where the plot develops...

litterature

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayce on Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:39 am

Idris Elba "too street" to play James Bond? You take that back!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-3212827/James-Bond-new-book-Trigger-Mortis-written-Anthony-Horowitz-wanted-life.html

Jayce

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:25 pm

I'm not sure if it's that the site I was looking on is really bad at descriptions, or if I'm an old cynic incapable of joy and wonder, but all the new anime coming out for fall sound really generic and boring.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:10 pm

OOF. Watched the first ten minutes of Berserk: The Egg of the King and couldn't go any further. Felt like an act of disrespect to the beloved original. Why is everything so clean-looking? Why is the music so awful? Why does it all look like a weird video game engine with a crappy cel-shading filter slapped on it? Why is there so much pointless, generic battlefield footage? How does a moment of horrifying, sickening violence get transformed into something cartoonish? Where are all the old voice actors? Why isn't this just the old anime, which presented the same story arc beautifully and did not need to be fucked with??

tl;dr GET OFF MY LAWN, YOU DAMN KIDS AND YOUR SHITTY REBOOT :shout:
Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:26 pm

Oh, Netflix. I really appreciate that you're letting creators experiment with series pacing and structure, given that people tend to watch your shows in different ways than they watch network television. If anything, I think network television will need to adapt more to accommodate binge watching.

I'm willing to go with you most of the way. I'm okay if a series takes longer than usual to establish its premise or introduces a bunch of seemingly unlikable characters and expects me to spend a little time deciding if I find them interesting. But you are still asking for large blocks of my time, and if I've spent several hours - about half of your show's first season - watching and I've spent all of them thinking intermittently, "Uh, isn't that sort of racist?" I'm probably out of there. Subversion is awesome, but after a certain point, I start to be suspicious that the subversion will ever come or will have enough payoff to make the rest worth it.
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy on Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:26 pm

I just want to piggyback on your Netflix rant and say that they need to fire whomever is in charge of writing the blurbs for movies. Saturday night I wasted time on a movie that promised a devil child trying to kill a babysitter...but got like 50 minutes of watching some girl be bored and then 20 of grown people chasing her around. :grrr:
caliseivy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pagliacci on Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:45 am

I wonder what headlines Variety has in store today. Hmm, let's see, "Hasbro Chief Confirms 4 More Transformers Sequels"

Heard joke once: Man goes to Doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says "But Doctor...I am Pagliacci!"

Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.
Pagliacci

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:21 pm

The new Muppet Show just doesn't feel like The Muppet Show. It's just some random, mediocre sitcom with slightly odd pacing that happens to have muppets in it Sad
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:35 am

bloodborne:

FATHER GASCOOOOOIIIGNE :grrr:
Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:30 am

Werel wrote:
bloodborne:

FATHER GASCOOOOOIIIGNE :grrr:

Smile He's quite the boss, no?

Definitely one of the more memorable fights in the game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:32 pm

Huuuuoooh, the AMC website and Cable provider are really breaking my balls here.

Hey, assholes, I'm paying $140+ here for cable, Internet AND phone service. I would like my login details for my cable to work on AMC's site, but nooooo. Y'all are lucky I have digital cable box and I can watch Walking Dead for free On-Demand. >:I

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 on Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:17 am

No, Internet, the new Star Wars movie is not anti-white.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan on Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:29 pm

That being said, I wish Continuum had dared to have at least some kind of opinion on what was supposed to be "better" about the Better Future. Even a wrong one. The show did a great job explaining and defining where certain evils can come from, but was far less thoughtful about the nature of "good". So presumably we have a world without sin, a world without war or corrupt politicians or crime, or at least a world with the minimum possible quantity of these things. But what is the world with? What's in it?

Granted, if how a better world could be made was a well-understood idea, we'd probably be doing more about it than just making interesting television. I guess I just...have trouble accepting that all the redshirt deaths were worth it if the definition of the "better future" they fought for is that some kid got to be born. :/
nearly_takuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:08 am

My guy Alberto Del Rio made a surprise comeback to the WWE last night Shiny/thrilled
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:14 am

Is it me or do the characters in Walking Dead just get stupider and stupider or does the writing just get lazier and lazier?

Every now and then somebody says something like "HURR RICKS DUNGURUSSS." Then someone defends him like this, "NO HES NOT, HE KNOUS WUT HE DOOIN, SHH." And then the dissenter is eaten by zombies literally the next moment which took sooner or later. Usually pretty soon if these characters didn't get SHIT for exposition/characterization. Gaaaah!

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:18 am

suiyoubi no kanpanella's new videos are supergeneric and the songs themselves are pretty boring :<

(the spoilers contain several videos so watch out if you're using a device that tends to freeze under high cpu loads!)

before:

now:

litterature

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum