NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[rant] Entertainment Rants

+41
bomaye
Orca
Sahrimnir
readertorider
Jayce
BasedBuzzed
choys
PintsizeBro
CP96
litterature
Andrew Corvero
Suika
Prajnaparamita
Caffeinated
OneTrueGuest
Gentleman Johnny
InkAndComb
Spiffo
WJMorris3
waxingjaney
celette482
nonA
fakely mctest
Izmuth
UristMcBunny
azazel
ApocalypseApple
SadisticToaster
reboundstudent
Mel
Aggrax
Conreezy
caliseivy
nearly_takuan
kleenestar
The Wisp
Lemminkainen
eselle28
Wondering
reboot
kath
45 posters

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

Go down

[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 15 Empty Re: [rant] Entertainment Rants

Post by bomaye Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:06 pm

It's also because Call of Duty and some of the sports games were the gateway drug for jocks and dudebros who used to make fun of (or even bully) nerdy gamer kids to get into gaming, and the Wii (and phone games) were the same for women (who used to look down on etc gamers, girl gamers were like shiny Pokemon, excessively rare). Those people mostly stuck to those games or genres, and the rest of the industry started changing their games to appeal to them, rather than the nerdy gamers who've been around forever. They were like the Star Trek reboot movies, dumbed down action-comedy fests to chase the Star Wars audience, rather than sticking to the sweaty, pushing-glasses-up Star Trek fanbase that had already been built.

They were the Trojan Horses that let the barbarians in, and then the lords of the keep started trying to appeal to the barbarians instead.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:15 pm

I can see where that kind of thinking would play into it too. Although, the games market is large enough and wide enough that I should think there's plenty of room for the so-called "casual" games AND the more nerdy games to coexist just fine, with plenty of companies and game developers who appeal to each type of audience. That's a bit different than something like Star Trek, where there's only one or two entries in the franchise going at a time, so if it's shifted toward appealing to a different type of fan, that does actually detract from giving the existing fanbase what it wants.

I mean, I've always been into pretty nerdy games, like ARPGs, and I've never felt like the genres I love have been changing in some kind of troubling ways as a means of appealing to a wider audience. Nor have I ever felt threatened by the existence and broader popularity of other game genres.
KMR
KMR

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:15 pm

<mod> Bomaye, anything about 'real' or original nerds vs. others is outside of your topic limits, and getting into women in relation to that is way outside of them. I know it's not exactly a tight ship around here lately, but this is still a subject you need to steer clear of. </mod>
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:29 pm

Enail wrote:<mod> Bomaye, anything about 'real' or original nerds vs. others is outside of your topic limits, and getting into women in relation to that is way outside of them. I know it's not exactly a tight ship around here lately, but this is still a subject you need to steer clear of. </mod>

I had assumed he was just speaking hypothetically about the kind of mindset some nerds might have on this topic. Didn't realize this was a potential trigger point, though. I hope I didn't add any fuel to the fire by discussing this.
KMR
KMR

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:41 pm

No worries, you didn't do anything wrong, it's not a banned topic in general, and it's up to Bomaye to stay out of it.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:32 am

Yeah, my bad.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:29 pm

The Orville is fun and Star-Trekky in many ways, but at the same time, it doesn't feel like a world I can imagine myself in the same way, all the casual scenes seem to involve the characters telling drinking stories and shit (or playing video games that are barely more advanced than current videogames, wtf, they have holodecks, why are they pressing unintuitive buttons to make cheap-looking holograms fight boringly in front of them!?), not only do they come across like "the future" is only a thin coating over a totally modern, Western culture, it feels like the most generic, mainstream possible subset of our culture. Where are my weird space nerds?
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:18 am

I recently had a similar conversation with my boyfriend on this topic, in which I said, "TNG feels like a utopian future for nerds, while The Orville feels like a utopian future for the average joe."
KMR
KMR

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:55 am

Not really a rant, but with CW superhero shows starting up, it's about time to try to cut some out (again).

- Supergirl's showing signs of being cancelled and didn't have nearly as interesting of a start as last season, so except for the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover, that one's going
- Gonna try Batwoman tomorrow to see if it's worth keeping up on. I don't have high hopes because CW's got a very familiar formula now (someone becomes superhero, they have a gang of kooky friends who help them out and at least one of them is a mega-nerd scientist/hacker who can do everything and at least another is a melodramatic love interest, they have a convenient secret base or organization from which to operate out of, there's monsters-of-the-week to go along with a larger season-villain, and fuck I just described like half of the basic Batman set-up) buuuut we'll see if they do anything interesting with it (I did read Batwoman comics in the early and mid '00s so her being a lesbian is not really new/interesting ground for me, and they already did a lot of the stock-lesbian CW storylines with another character in Supergirl)
- Arrow's only got a half-season left so I'll ride that one out
- Flashhhhhhhh I dunno, it feels tired but I like the characters a lot, I lean on the side of keeping that one
- Black Lightning's a show I love when it's focusing on specific characters or events and am bored stiff when they deviate from that stuff. Also probably will get cancelled, ratings are apparently pretty-below the usual cancellation rate for the CW and it's probably only alive right now because it's an all-black cast/diversity stuff.
- Legends of Tomorrow starts up later in the year and that one's fun but also unimportant and seemingly going to get cancelled for low ratings too, but the fun might override that.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:54 pm

Why did they have to remake Mewtwo Strikes Back as a much, much worse movie where every Pokemon is textured like a silicone spatula sick
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:25 pm

Professional wrestling without an audience... just does not work.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:01 pm

Yeah, it's really rough
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Hielario Wed May 27, 2020 4:07 pm

So I rememebered again that I had bought an old Rick Astley CD at a market as an historic curiosity. Now that I've listened to it a couple times, I feel really weird.

"FREE" is somehow a picture of tecnhnical perfection and absolutely generic at the same time. It's almost like it was deliberately designed to stand in for a generic music album in a TV show or movie.

It makes me yearn for the romantic situations that movies and TV made me think I would have when I were a grown-up man.

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:09 pm

waxingjaney wrote:Professional wrestling without an audience... just does not work.

Having the setup crew standing six+ feet apart behind plexiglass and a light show doesn't do it either. Dead
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:37 am

They also tape like 7 hours of television without any break, those trainnees are standing the entire time
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:43 pm

Well, now they've set up rows and rows of monitors for some sort of mass-Zoom kind of thing. It just feels weird, like a Max Headroom alternate history. Has anyone been superplexed into the "audience" yet?
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:36 am

I don't think so, monitors probably too expensive to throw someone through.

I don't like seeing fans this up-close
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Hielario Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:49 pm

"It's been years since I stopped reading (webcomic)" I said, "I wonder if it still going on/how it ended" I said.
Minute 1: Oh, that's sad. I wonder if there's a more detailed explanation somewhere?
Minute 5: NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.

There goes my mental stability for the rest of the day. Why does the world have to be like this...
Hielario
Hielario

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum