Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by Robjection on Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:34 pm

caliseivy wrote:I hate shopping. Even video game shopping, but especially grocery shopping.
Can't decide which I hate more: grocery shopping, or clothes shopping.
Clothes shopping for me. At least with grocery shopping I can just pick out the usual and be done with it, making the process quick and (relatively) painless. At least I don't have to think too much.

But clothes shopping? Those hours I spend wandering around the clothes shops trying desperately to find an item of clothing that I actually kinda like the look of so as not to have wasted a) a journey and b) money on the parking, only to discover the shops don't have it in my size, especially in the trouser department? I could've been putting that brainpower towards something much more useful/enjoyable! I mean come on, I have enough clothes to last a month with the exceptions of pants and socks!
Robjection

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy on Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:46 pm

Robjection wrote:
Clothes shopping for me. At least with grocery shopping I can just pick out the usual and be done with it, making the process quick and (relatively) painless. At least I don't have to think too much.

But clothes shopping? Those hours I spend wandering around the clothes shops trying desperately to find an item of clothing that I actually kinda like the look of so as not to have wasted a) a journey and b) money on the parking, only to discover the shops don't have it in my size, especially in the trouser department? I could've been putting that brainpower towards something much more useful/enjoyable! I mean come on, I have enough clothes to last a month with the exceptions of pants and socks!

The time I must spend trying to find a pair of pants that fit, won't show my butt when I bend over, and are okay for work could be spent catching up on lost sleep.
I never know what to get from the grocery store, it never seems like enough of the necessary variety and I can never think of meals to cook that I'll actually cook at some point.
caliseivy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot on Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:15 pm

I hate clothes shopping. I always go with a very specific idea of what I want, often because I need to replace something, and then I spend fruitless hours searching and often leave empty handed.
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:02 pm

HermitTheToad wrote:If the Joker were real, would he kill/maim comedians out of jealousy?
No, he'd do it out of whimsy.
waxingjaney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:10 pm

reboot wrote:I hate clothes shopping. I always go with a very specific idea of what I want, often because I need to replace something, and then I spend fruitless hours searching and often leave empty handed.

Yup, that's me too. Add on top of that even if I find the specific item I want, it will likely not be in my size. I loathe clothes shopping. Just thinking about doing it makes me cranky.

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed on Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:30 pm

I've noticed how much I've inadvertendly bought into Americanocentrism. Recently started reading more Dutch gender activism(for fellow countryfolk, try Linda Duits, Asha Ten Broeke and Marijke Vonk) and realized it's much more tailored to the local culture(instead of a decade or so behind, like I previously reasoned). Less polarized and very heavy on practical sides of sex positivity.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny on Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:19 pm

So... let me get this straight.

You bought these shoes a week ago. You claim that you wore them home that day, and didn't notice they were two sizes too large because you "had thick socks on". You decided to return them today but, having apparently packed every pair of shoes you own for a holiday you're leaving on, you decided - rather than opening your luggage and pulling out a single pair of shoes - to wear the shoes you want to return into the shop. Oh. And you also "stepped in a puddle" on the way in, hence why the pair are completely covered in what I sincerely hope is mud. As you demonstrated by lifting your foot up onto the counter. And you don't have the receipt.

...Were you really thinking this would turn out the way you wanted? Really?

Moderator of "Romantic and Sexual Relationships"

View user profile http://uristmcdorf.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:09 pm

UristMcBunny wrote:So... let me get this straight.

You bought these shoes a week ago.  You claim that you wore them home that day, and didn't notice they were two sizes too large because you "had thick socks on".  You decided to return them today but, having apparently packed every pair of shoes you own for a holiday you're leaving on, you decided - rather than opening your luggage and pulling out a single pair of shoes - to wear the shoes you want to return into the shop.  Oh.  And you also "stepped in a puddle" on the way in, hence why the pair are completely covered in what I sincerely hope is mud.  As you demonstrated by lifting your foot up onto the counter.  And you don't have the receipt.

...Were you really thinking this would turn out the way you wanted?  Really?

Oh, I used to sell shoes. We had a family who'd come in every six months to claim we'd sold their children inappropriately small shoes and ask to exchange them for the correct size. They got away with it for awhile too.
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:59 am

Isn't it bad when racist comments don't hurt you as much as they should? Or if you just don't react appropriately to the gravity of any given situation in general?

Life is so weird.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:38 am

"Mikey, you will go to the Dagobah system. There you will learn from Yoda, the Jedi Master who instructed me."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:41 am

Why do some people say, "You need a girl/boyfriend"?

Where does that sentiment come from and why? Why do these people think that having a partner (or having sex) will somehow 'cure' a person from whatever it is that brought about the 'concern' in the first place?

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:58 am

HermitTheToad wrote:Why do some people say, "You need a girl/boyfriend"?

Where does that sentiment come from and why? Why do these people think that having a partner (or having sex) will somehow 'cure' a person from whatever it is that brought about the 'concern' in the first place?

nearly_takuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:00 am

@nearly: Lol, that wasn't just rhetorical. I'm genuinely curious as to what the logic behind the sentiment is?

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:00 am

nearly_takuan wrote:
HermitTheToad wrote:Why do some people say, "You need a girl/boyfriend"?

10.0 for the gif and a 10.0 for the deployment of it, leading to a new competition record.

HermitTheToad wrote:@nearly: Lol, that wasn't just rhetorical. I'm genuinely curious as to what the logic behind the sentiment is?

If you'd like a very cynical take on it, I think at least some of the sentiment is, "Why can't you just be like the rest of us? It doesn't much matter if you're happier or not, but it would be much easier not to be obliged to worry over your happiness."
eselle28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:07 am

eselle28 wrote:If you'd like a very cynical take on it, I think at least some of the sentiment is, "Why can't you just be like the rest of us? It doesn't much matter if you're happier or not, but it would be much easier not to be obliged to worry over your happiness."

Ah, I see; it's herd mentality. That completely slipped my mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan on Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:19 am

It's also a trope that comes up in TV shows and such when a character is deemed too interested in $thing_that_is_not_sex. Barry Allen likes talking about the LHC? Needs a girlfriend. Sheldon Cooper $unfunny_science_hobby? Needs a girlfriend. <laugh track> Captain America spends every waking moment fighting for his country? Dude, we have to find him a girlfriend. So you think $character hasn't {touched, kissed, had sex with} someone of the opposite sex (because it's always heteronormative) in $time_frame? They're {hundreds of years old, afflicted by a terrifying condition, not remotely human, made entirely of inanimate matter, living in solitary confinement}, but they're not dead. Love finds a way, apparently. (Note: I know I've definitely heard variations on both of these in several places across many different forms of media, as well as quoted IRL, but there's no corresponding entry on the usual "trope sites".)

But I agree with eselle that there's also an element of "just be happy in the ways that make normal people happy. Get yourself a warm hole/bump; anyone will do."
nearly_takuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:50 am

Having just see The Winter Soldier, yesterday, I did find it amusing how they played with that trope of
spoilerssss:
Romanov constantly trying to set Rogers up with people when he clearly has other things on his mind, not to mention massive culture shock.

I think because he's the POV character, so we identify more with his unwillingness than with her persistence, which sort of subverts the "why can't you be normally coupled like normal people?" thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan on Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:02 am

embertine wrote:Having just see The Winter Soldier, yesterday, I did find it amusing how they played with that trope of
spoilerssss:
Romanov constantly trying to set Rogers up with people when he clearly has other things on his mind, not to mention massive culture shock.

I think because he's the POV character, so we identify more with his unwillingness than with her persistence, which sort of subverts the "why can't you be normally coupled like normal people?" thing.

Yet there's a whole conversation about how of course Cap's kissed a girl recently and that actually was one of the scenes I was thinking of where the screenwriters decided I'm some kind of zombie. The film's denouement includes an overt "and then he did go and get coupled like a normal person; to be continued." I thoroughly enjoyed the movie—I haven't been able to see Big Hero Six yet but The Winter Soldier has been my favorite Marvel film so far—but it was easier for me to identify with Samuel L. Jackson's grandfather than with Steve Rogers.
nearly_takuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:05 am

See, I didn't see that at all. I interpreted that as Romanov was still going on about it and Cap was all, uh, sure, whatever. But I have only seen it once and I plan to re-watch, probably tonight.

Back to top Go down

Post by sky on Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:27 pm

My bus went past a salon called Thunder's Nails the other day, and now I'm vaguely disappointed that Thunder Snails aren't a thing.
sky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed on Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:00 pm

>Make parody ditty in head
>Is apparently already a full song

Good times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUtdcziM9vs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by InkAndComb on Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:08 am

I keep hearing "I could tell you were a cat person" but nobody ever tells me "I could tell you were a gecko person" or "I could tell you were a praying mantis person".

Where am I going wrong?!?!
InkAndComb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:32 am

This is a note to myself and not a self-congratulatory thing: When I noticed no one had posted a Veteran's Day message in my gaming guild's Facebook, and I posted one at 10:00 tonight, and all of the people who that applied to both liked the status and posted a "thanks!" of some sort within the hour? Yeah, that's a good reminder that people appreciate being appreciated and that I should remember to do it more often. I'm regularly kind of shitty about that, and I should work on it.
eselle28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection on Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:06 pm

So the English text in the game says "Hello train driver!" and the French text says "Bonjour Monsieur le conducteur!"

What are you saying, game? You saying women can't be train drivers in France?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:04 am

Finally got to watch My Neighbour Totoro. In HD too!

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum