Erased/Boku Dake ga Inai Machi

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Erased/Boku Dake ga Inai Machi

Post by bomaye on Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:16 pm

Gonna make a recommendation

ERASED (japanese name: Boku Dake ga Inai Machi)

It's a thriller about a 29 year old guy who is forcibly sent back in time whenever a fatal incident is about to occur around him, giving him the chance to save whoever from death

That may not sound like a lot, but I don't want to say too much more as it would spoil the end of the first episode.

bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:04 pm

I just watched it, and I'd second that. To be fair, I'm a sucker for this kind of time travel story, but it's really good. Not quite what I expected (possibly because I missed the word "thriller" in the description Laughing ), but I'm definitely interested to see how it plays out.

Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:59 pm

Huh, that sounds exactly like one of the superhero powers in this one British sci fi series Misfits (character can turn back time, but only involuntarily when triggered by imminent/recent death of someone near him, with time-travel consequences natch). I liked that device; will try and check this out.

Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:12 pm

I feel like it's a pretty common device, almost a sub-sub-sub-genre or something. But it almost always makes for interesting stories, IMO.

Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:07 pm

Ep 1

Spoiler:

- I super-duper identify with the main character <_<
- That cultural difference, the older adult encourages the near 30 year old to go after the high school student Disapproving
- I'm kind of wondering if the mom was like a police detective or just what she meant about "your life was in danger"
- The power seemed innocent enough, but then shit got scary with the child abduction stuff. That little girl was dead if they hadn't seen her, and that little girl from the past was just super sad and scary
- And of course they have to use the uncool weirdo Yuuki kid as bait fffuuuuu
- And then as the story starts getting to the end, it becomes OH NO MOTHER CHARACTER and then WHAT 1988 WTF WTF WTF
- Killer-kun was wearing gloves when he went in but had taken them off by the time he went out, his fingerprints should be on the doorknob or maybe someone saw him changing out of them
- I'm super curious why they set up the mom and the teenage girl and all that if it's gonna take part in the past too

bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:01 pm

bomaye wrote:Ep 1

Spoiler:

- That cultural difference, the older adult encourages the near 30 year old to go after the high school student  Disapproving

Spoiler:

I know! I expect a certain amount of inappropriate adult dating high school student stuff in anime and kind of overlook it, but this was way beyond and hard to just dismiss as "oh, cultural difference."  Suspect

Spoiler:

- I'm super curious why they set up the mom and the teenage girl and all that if it's gonna take part in the past too

Spoiler:

The mom at least seemed to have been involved in what went on in the past, so she makes sense.  But the teenager wouldn't even have been born yet. I'm guessing she'll fit in somehow with what's going on in the present and why all this stuff is coming back now

Getting into kind of farfetched thinking, I'm wondering why they made such a point of how young the mom looks, and that's a hint that she's in some way involved in the time travel stuff, some sort of time loop...

Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:06 pm

Enail wrote:
Spoiler:

I know! I expect a certain amount of inappropriate adult dating high school student stuff in anime and kind of overlook it, but this was way beyond and hard to just dismiss as "oh, cultural difference."  Suspect

Spoiler:

The way I've interpreted it was that it's a cultural thing to respect or admire those older than you in Japan (especially a maniac who just saved a child), and his mom was from that generation where getting a good wife/husband was more important than if you actually loved them or whatever. I think with him, he's from that generation where that kinda thing started changing, hence the "she's a high school girl" "stop it" etc.

bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:58 pm

Episode 2 is outttttttt

bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Erased

Post by bomaye on Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:06 pm

Ep 2

MY FEELS

JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP

bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Erased/Boku Dake ga Inai Machi

Post by bomaye on Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:20 pm

I've already posted a bit in the anime thread, but I'm gonna make a separate thread for it.

Also if you're reading the manga, please for the love of Kami-sama, don't spoil it

Erased aka Boku Dake ga Inai Machi (The Town Where Only I Am Missing)

It's on crunchyroll and all those legal places. There's only two episodes so far.

"The story follows Satoru Fujinuma, a man who possesses an ability that sends him back in time moments before a life-threatening incident, allowing him to prevent it from happening."

There's more to the synopsis, but it's better if you watch the first episode not knowing it beforehand. There is some heavy duty mature content involving children involved in this, so this is something a warning, it's not light-hearted.

One of my friends reactions after the first episode was "Drop everything you're doing and watch this right now." Pretty much everyone else I've seen watch it has come out with the same general reaction. Highest recommendation possible, I usually try to tailor my recommendations to someone's interests but this is just a broad-spectrum "I think you should watch this because it seems like it could be universal."

Episode 1 didn't just draw me in, it reached out and grabbed me. I'll admit that a lot of the grabbing was that I heavily identify with the main character, but the slow unfolding of what's going on and slowly building up to the big moments at the end was about as brilliant as things could get.

And then Episode 2 just dropped today. There were moments where this show began freakishly speaking my own language, and others where it was deeply heartwarming... and then moments that horrifying and sad and feels-wrecking, oh god.

It's personally rare for me to find something that speaks my language and feels like it's staring right back at me, and they took that general and mashed it together with a set-up where it's not just "I want the hero to succeed" but "I need the hero to succeed because I don't think my heart could take it if he didn't."

tl;dr watch it

bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:51 pm

Mind if I move the posts from anime general to this thread?

Werel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:22 pm

I would not mind at all Grin

bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:39 am

Ep 2 stuff

Spoiler:

- There's gotta be something up with Kenya.
- The childhood nostalgia, being with his mother again, making up for lost time, god damn the feels
- The child abuse stuff is fucking ROUGH. Especially that red silhouette of a beating. What the fuck, anime?
- Also the essay and how she was murdered not long after, and how she was found "after the snow melted", what the FUCK anime?
- "You're 29 years old, get ahold of yourself" :rotfl:
- There's something going on with gloves. Mom Killer wore gloves when he iced her, Satoru forgot his gloves, Hinazuki also didn't have gloves.
- Satoru NEEDS to save Hinazuki. My heart won't be able to take it if he doesn't...

But...

Spoiler:

Two of his classmates disappeared, Hinazuki might be the "wrong" classmate to save Uh-oh

Satoru is going all-in on Hinazuki, but two of his classmates disappeared, and since they're playing the child abuse angle, it could be that Hinazuki was accidentally killed by her mother and then it got connected to the other abduction case and Satoru is concentrating on the "wrong" classmate.

"Would you kill someone for me"

Like... allowing his mother to die? silent

I saw a theory on reddit before I decided to stop redditing in case of spoilers. It's not a for-sure spoiler, but it was kind of a god-damnnn thing

Spoiler:

- That Hinazuki's body was discarded in the hideout that they agreed not to go to when it was snowing.

bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:23 am

Also also also also also I just went and looked, it's going to be 12 episodes all together, so not a huge commitment if you end up liking it Grin

Soul's on fire

bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR on Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:14 am

I don't have a crunchyroll account, but the first episode is up on hulu, so I checked it out. The second episode isn't up there yet, but hopefully won't be too far behind. It's definitely piqued my interest, and if it's only going to be 12 episodes long, I'll probably stick with it until the end.

Enail wrote:To be fair, I'm a sucker for this kind of time travel story, but it's really good. 

Bit of a tangent, but if you like that kind of device and also enjoy board games, there's a game called Tragedy Looper that's based around this concept. One player plays as a "mastermind" who is trying to manipulate events so that a tragedy occurs (they know the scenario and possible loss conditions and are trying to trigger them), while another player or players are investigators who try to prevent the tragedy from happening (they don't know the scenario and loss conditions and must try to figure out what's going on across several time loops). Each time a loss condition is triggered, the time loop resets and everyone starts over, with a limited number of time loops possible. The investigators win if they can prevent the tragedies from occurring for at least one complete loop, while the mastermind wins if they make the tragedies occur each loop until there are no loops left.

KMR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:45 pm

Oooh, that sounds like a really cool boardgame!

Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:53 pm

Watched both of 'em, pretty into it.

Spoiler:

bomaye wrote:- I'm kind of wondering if the mom was like a police detective or just what she meant about "your life was in danger"
Yeahhhh, that statement coupled with her recognizing would-be abductor in the parking lot makes me assume she has an inside line to whoever did the 1988 murders. My money is on the actual culprit being Mom's own Yuuki, like a "no he's a nice person I don't want to believe he did it so I didn't rat him out at the time but now I wish I had" figure.

-Or Hinazuki's mom's boyfriend, which would just be depressing cause it's too Real

-Enail, I agree that the mom looking so young (and having it pointed out so much) is a Side-eye, it's gotta tie in somehow.

-Kenya's gotta be the murdrar and/or the one who grows up to invent whatever technology triggers Satoru's Revivals, no blond anime child gets to be that collected and precocious without being sinister

-"You're 29 years old, get ahold of yourself" was a great moment

-Teen girl from present is about the right age to have been born the year of the murders.  scratch

-The hideout.... the body... hm. It looked like it was under some kind of sheet-metal corner, which would make a good hideout.

Werel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:41 pm

I didn't think I'd manage to watch episode 2 for a while, but knowing you people were here talking about it forced me to get to it faster, damn you! :shout:

Episde 2:
Oh man. This whole show is heartbreaking, the nostalgia filled with both regret and dread, that brutal child abuse scene and then the even more brutal bit about them finding her body, the whole thing about the casually cruel obliviousness of children, the uanawareness of adults, and then moments of kindness and attempts to connect that don't quite hit the mark but still mean something, somehow, or they could.

I was thinking the body would be in the hideout too (or maybe another body, a first death he didn't know about?). And it's a scary-good point about the other abductee, Bomaye, that's going to make me cringe watching the next episode.  And there's definitely something up with Kenya.

KMR, the site I'm using has ep 2 already (it was just the first one that came up on google).

Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:02 am

Peer pressure gets to her Grin

Something to watch out for next ep

Spoiler:

Kenya's Eye Colour

Also, a minor cool thing: the manga is still ongoing, and it's going to end a few weeks before the anime does, but the manga author went ahead and gave the show producers the ending beforehand, so we're not just gonna get an anime-only kind of thing, it's the real story Grin

bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR on Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:03 pm

Enail wrote:
KMR, the site I'm using has ep 2 already (it was just the first one that came up on google).

Thanks for the link, Enail. I've been able to catch up on episodes 2 and 3 now. Hulu is apparently one week behind.

KMR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:20 am

EPISODE 3

GOD DAMMIT

Spoiler:

Girl #2 in the paper is his friend Hiro, the girl who asked him to walk home after Hinazuki rejected him

God dammit he might have the wrong girl

More later after thoughts are collected

bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:24 am

Ep 3 full thoughts

Spoiler:

- FUCK, Hinazuki getting it from her mom was fucking awful Sad
- And sharing the birthday on the same day, knowing she won't get any kind of warm treatment like Satoru will, FUCK
- Teacher-kun and child services know but they can't do anything about it. I'm angry
- Add Hinazuki's older brother or whoever that was to the red eyes brigade. And Yuuki.
- Hiro asking Satoru to walk home with him is going to come back in some tragic way, isn't it Sad
- The look on Satoru's face when he sees Yuuki, "I'm seeing an old friend and they haven't changed one bit." MAN.
- Satoru sticking up for her in class and taking Hinazuki to see the tree <3 <3 <3

bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:06 pm

Episode 3:
That scene on the mountain was beautiful.

Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:15 pm

Episode 3:
It would be really crazy to go into the past and see someone you knew when they were older than you then, but younger than you are now.

Christmas tree was beautiful.

Why was Kenya talking to the teacher at the end? No

Werel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:37 am

Spoiler:

Oops, I guess Hiromi is a boy

bomaye

View user profile