Ajin: Demi-Human

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by bomaye on Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:31 am

Time for another anime recommendation Grin

This is a bit different from the last one. The last episode for this season, Episode 13, airs next week, and I think it's getting batch released on Netflix sometime afterwards (Edit: it's dropping on April 12th). The sub-group Kami-FS have the best combination of translations and timely releases so far. Not week-to-week this time.

Also if you happen to google it, ignore the movies, the anime literally is just the movie footage separated into episodes with an intro and an outro, and because it's week-to-week instead as-fast-as-possible, the weekly ones are better translated.

Also also, it's got a manga.

Anyways.

"Ajin" are immortal humans who can't die. When killed, they just resurrect on the spot completely healthy. World governments try to keep this under wraps while exploiting the Ajin, but eventually it becomes common knowledge that they exist. When an Ajin is discovered, they become hunted by the world around them. And let's just say, not every Ajin reacts the same way to this.

Some notes, it's not normally animated, it's got a cel-shaded thing going instead and only uses traditional animation for flashbacks. Some people have found it off-putting but you can get used it pretty quickly. Also some of the content is definitely Not Safe For Work but nothing that you wouldn't see in a Rated-R movie, and the worst stuff they do hide or cut away from. It's a bleak outlook on the world too, but every character does have motivations for what they do.

Reasons to watch:
- The music is awesome
- The Hat is one of the most screen-grabbing characters you'll see in anything
- They take the Ajin resurrection ability to insanely creative heights
- So usually with anime, there's one or two episodes that are that episode, the ones that define the magic of a good series. Ajin just had two in a row, and multiple other episodes that would've been that episode calibre in most other animes

I peg Episode 3 as the one that you'll have decided if you like it or not, but most of the people I've seen it with were actually hooked by Episode 2. Also the early episodes have a slightly different feel but once The Hat is introduced, the series rounds into what it is.

And if you do watch, please share thoughts on the big plot twists or the things that really get you going Grin
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ajin: Demi-Human

Post by Enail on Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:08 pm

The premise doesn't completely grab me, there's a lot of 'government hunting special people' stuff out there and some of it's pretty generic, but I do enjoy that genre when it hits me right. And it's always cool when a story gets creative with how they use special powers. I might give it a try. (Though, keeping up with Boku Dake just about killed me, but I have a hard time not letting shows fall by the wayside if I don't have any time-pressure to keep up Uh-oh)
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:21 pm

How about if I just fake it and make it seem like a new episode just dropped each week on [whatever day]
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:23 pm

I don't think anything less than Boku Dake level can make me keep up with an episode a week Sad
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:51 am

How about just episodes 11 and 12 then <_<
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:21 pm

Don't I need the ones before that to make it work?

Anyway, I watched the first episode, we'll see how far I get.

Episode 1, not really anything spoilery, though, I totally could have put this in the open:

Between the shaky cam, the dark lighting and the animation style, the first scene is pretty hard to watch. Once they get into daytime scenes, I actually like the art style pretty well, the colouring's quite nice, but the animation is grating. The walk animation makes me cringe, especially when there's multiple people all doing the exact same stiff, awkward walk.

I do like that OP song!

The first episode wasn't anything amazing, but it's not bad either, and it's the kind of premise that usually needs an episode to set up before it gets into anything new. I'll probably give it till 3 and see if it grabs me.

If Boku Dake taught me one thing, it's that people who tap their hand while talking are eeeeeeevill.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:07 pm

Spoiler:

I think the quality of animation does improve as things go on. I do remember thinking the animation looked clunky in the first episode but don't recall thinking that recently
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:27 pm

Season 1's over now Sad
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:34 am

Episode 2:
The characters are still pretty generic, but the Ajin-thought-echo creature is intriguing.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:15 pm

Spoiler:

That was the thing that surprisingly got most of the people I showed it to. I would've thought it was more the plot getting going in Episode 3
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:02 pm

Spoiler:
It's a more unexpected and quirky element, which is especially important if a showg seems kind of generic, it's a sign that there's something unique going on it the creators' heads. Without that, plot twists and intrigue can be entertaining, but it'll be sort of interchangeable with any other sci fi powers chased by government kind of story.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:15 am

Spoiler:

Yeppppp, that should make Episode 3 more interesting Grin
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:34 am

This is really not a spoiler. Come on, why am I even putting it under spoiler tags?:
Run in circles flail
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:04 pm

Spoiler:

????????????
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:51 pm

Still not a spoiler:
Just general flailing at being teased with hints of interesting things to come
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Spoiler:

Wink
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:07 pm

Episode 3:
The characters are still a little generic-feeling, but things are getting much more exciting with the black ghosts coming into things. I'm more intrigued by the hint they might have some person-ness to them we got in Ep 2 than by the invisible remote controlled murder-beasts angle, but the origin bit we got about when Kei first saw one suggests they might be going to get more into what death means or some other kind of more philosophical or spiritual connection, which is interesting. I'm not really invested in what happens to any of the characters for themselves so far, but the threat of being endlessly killed and experimented on is sufficiently horrifying to still care about what happens.

The moment when he realized that he can heal by slitting his throat was pretty striking, just how quick and casual it was.

And Hat Guy's calm, grandfatherly manner is excellently unsettling.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:55 pm

So is that "I'll keep going" or "Yeah some parts are okay but nah"
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:07 pm

I'll probably keep going.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:37 pm

Spoiler:

So how about that Izumi taking it in the chest and that claw-scraping  No

And also slitting his own throat and then rising up as Kai is like kind of dumb-struck, that's some of the stuff I like best about Ajin: They exist on a different level than normal humans, death is a quick refresh for them and when they start thinking about it that way, things get really interesting
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:40 pm

bomaye wrote:
Spoiler:

So how about that Izumi taking it in the chest and that claw-scraping  No

Spoiler:

The claw-scraping is creeeepy. I've been assuming Izumi is an Ajin herself. The episode ended before she would have revived, and it seems unlikely she'd be in the opening if she was going to die permanently this early in.

Spoiler:

And also slitting his own throat and then rising up as Kai is like kind of dumb-struck, that's some of the stuff I like best about Ajin: They exist on a different level than normal humans, death is a quick refresh for them and when they start thinking about it that way, things get really interesting

Spoiler:
Yep, the way you can see his thinking suddenly click over, it's quite striking. Looking forward to see where that goes
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:20 pm

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Yep, the way you can see his thinking suddenly click over, it's quite striking. Looking forward to see where that goes

Episode 11 and 12 Grin
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:53 pm

Episode 4:
Aww, she calls her ghost Kuro-chan!  Laughing

This is getting goood! It feels like the show's getting into its stride this episode with the ghost fight and Kei stepping into the situation rather than just running. And you start to see bigger hints of what's behind him and his sister, enough to start getting more invested in the characters, starting off with Kei as such a cypher unexplained made it a bit hard to care, but now it's feeling more like a mystery than a blankness. And the guy in the hat, he seems so damn calm and reasonable it makes it doubly creepy!
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:35 pm

Buckle up, Episodes 5 and I think 6 were one of the "That episode" episodes Grin

(Also where's Werel, she's pretty much your partner in crime with my recommendations these days)

Enail wrote:
Episode 4:
starting off with Kei as such a cypher unexplained made it a bit hard to care, but now it's feeling more like a mystery than a blankness.

I have a theory or two about this and I'm interested in seeing if you arrive at one of them eventually
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:03 pm

bomaye wrote:Buckle up, Episodes 5 and I think 6 were one of the "That episode" episodes Grin

Run in circles flail

(Also where's Werel, she's pretty much your partner in crime with my recommendations these days)

Hey, yeah, Werel, get in here! :shout: Though, she still hasn't reported on the end of the Boku Dake manga, so maybe she's abandoned me Disapproving  Also, Aggrax and Litterature and Solvi were all in on at least one of your recs, so they have a responsibility to join me, too!  This one isn't a particularly obvious connect with either Boku Dake or Genshiken, though, so really, it's your responsibility to sell it harder Razz

I have a theory or two about this and I'm interested in seeing if you arrive at one of them eventually

... Side-eye OH HO, so it doesn't get answered by the end of the season!
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum