NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What if you DON'T have romantic intentions?

3 posters

Go down

What if you DON'T have romantic intentions? Empty What if you DON'T have romantic intentions?

Post by Eucladoceros Fri May 20, 2016 12:05 pm

I'm wondering how to make it clear, in a non-creepy way, that I don't have romantic intentions.
There is this woman I like and with whom I would like to hang out in a strictly platonic sense, and she seems to like me (in a non-romantic way) as well. However, I'm worried that proposing to grab a coffee or whatever, to take the friendship to the next level as it were, will scare her off because she'll assume it to be an (unwanted) romantic "date" proposal.

How do I make clear that I'm not looking for a date? I have the feeling that saying "let's grab a coffee, and by the way, this is not a date" will just sound creepy.

Thanks.

Last edited by Eucladoceros on Fri May 20, 2016 2:42 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : choice of word)

Eucladoceros

Back to top Go down

What if you DON'T have romantic intentions? Empty Re: What if you DON'T have romantic intentions?

Post by DrTovah Fri May 20, 2016 2:18 pm

You could say you'd like to get together for "friendly" coffee.

At the coffee you could re-iterate that you are looking at expanding your circles of friends, partners in whatever activity you are into. Or looking for a regular friendly platonic coffee date every Tuesday after class, etc. Don't make it a formal declaration, just weave it into conversation.

DrTovah

Back to top Go down

What if you DON'T have romantic intentions? Empty Re: What if you DON'T have romantic intentions?

Post by reboot Fri May 20, 2016 4:29 pm

I agree with DrTovsh. It might sound a little silly to say, but saying, "Want to do a friend coffee date?" is up front and makes things not awkward
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Eucladoceros Sat May 21, 2016 6:04 am

Thanks for the replies. We don't speak English to each other over here, though, and it's not immediately obvious to me how to convey "friendly/friend coffee date" in our language Smile I'll think about the best way to put it.

Last edited by Eucladoceros on Sat May 21, 2016 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : choice of word)

Eucladoceros

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum