Berserk

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16

Go down

Berserk - Page 16 Empty Re: Berserk

Post by Enail on Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:52 pm

Next one! Vol 18/Ch 133-143

Spoiler:

-Isidoro insulting the bandit out loud but with running commentary, still out loud, of "...I say to myself deep down." rofl
-this artist is so fantastic at drawing fights in a way that expresses the unique quality of moving of the fighters, you feel the swirling, acrobatic way the Kushan fight just like you felt the way the insect-elves swarmed or Guts' solidity that suddenly knifes through
-you just knew this whole arc must have been more horrifying and the anime was skipping over or softening most it, and yep, that is definitely the case
-I like the way they keep showing a scene of the awful misery of the people or something cruel that Mozgus is doing and then each time, just one shot of Farnese's face, just slowly, quietly accumulating little moments that slip through her shields and start sending out tiny roots
-Poodle-hair going along with throwing stones at a child in the stocks, that was a nice, economical bit of storytelling to establish character
-Casca building up a tower of stones with the tower of conviction looming over her
-I find it hilarious that drug-fuelled heretic orgies are apparently the only place you can get music round these parts
-that was considerably more explicit than I'd have expected
-Puck tricking Isidoro into getting trapped under the sword he's trying to steal rofl
-Guts' little smile when Isidoro says he's not going to be under anyone, and you can see he kind of likes him for pointing out that what he does is up to him
-I thought his grin at the self-moving wagon wheels has a little less of his usual 'good, this might actually be a challenge I can work out my hate on for a little while" look and more of a genuine "hey, this is different, fun!" smile
-"I'll never hitch or or swipe from another wagon ever again!" Laughing
-Puck treating Skull Knight like one of Guts' school friends Laughing
-the whole reflection of the moon bit about how the godhand exists and fate and "maybe you aren't a shadow on the water, but instead a fish that breaches the water's surface" Shiny/thrilled
-thinking saving Casca's his top priority, but then also that "but..." of Griffith
-Serpico defending a kid from having to burn his father at stake, and then begging off sick from the burning
-Farnese's bit with the torches, to escape the terror, you lead the terror, and dance like shadows from flame, that was so good
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:12 am

Vol 19/144-154

Spoiler:

- Mere mortals are so small-potatoes for Guts now
- Isidoro refuses to bow his head to become an apprentice, it makes him more of a man to sneak around and steal Guts' moves from him Laughing
- And he even thinks of a plan to take Casca hostage to make him do what he wants, and Puck's all "Two peas in a pod" rofl
- The Black Witch and The Black Swordsman
- Isidoro: "You can all be sacrifices to my ambition." :nono:
- "Don't you wave that thing at me" As that monster-dick is making a "swing-swing" noise Laughing
- Oh right, the Great Goat was just a guy wearing a mask and then all of a sudden the demons made him a Dark Souls boss
- GUTS ;_;
- I like how the Egg of the New World is constantly creeping on everything that's going on
- Fucking Serpico being all "FUFUFU, I'VE FOUND YOU BLACK SWORDSMAN" and Guts just whips out his crossbow and Serpico's all "Uh...." rofl
- Serpico chose the one spot that all of Guts equipment and skills would work against him, and didn't bring anyone with him because "Allies infected with fear are worse than enemies" Shiny/thrilled
- Guts catches Serpico's sword with his bare hand and Serpico's all "Wtf mate" and Guts is all "Ya I've been killing the shit out of demons for a few years now guy."
- Christ, they close the iron maiden on Casca and then suddenly horrifying monsters start bursting out of the shadows of it instead Shudder
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:18 pm

Vol 19/144-154
Spoiler:

-why do all these pagans have this many valuables to give to the witch, they've been starving refugees for who knows how long and valuables are apparently still of value in the camp (which presumably means tradeable for food and other necessities), surely they'd have had to sell this stuff to survive by now?
-Luca gets ready to slap every time Nina's selfish, her slapping hand's going to get sore
-Isidoro's "I think I'm in looooove" over Luca telling that guy off
-the way the asshole knight's just as scared of the staring eyes of hordes of peasants as he is of Guts
-Guts worrying that he'll be scarier to Casca than before Sad
-Isidoro reacting to the helplessness and misery of the peasants with disgust, wanting to believe he's different, and trying to find a way to not have Guts teaching him be charity
-Farnese staring at the burning people till the fire dies out
-"It's a naked party" Laughing
-fuck, Isidoro's name's been a stealth pun lurking around all this time, I trusted you, Miura!!
-"DON'T YOU WAVE THAT THING AT ME" rofl rofl rofl
-Isidoro and naked ladies Laughing
-That moment where Guts looks at Casca, and it feels like it's almost really Casca looking back Happy tears
-oh god the goat demon with its eyeball hanging out of its socket  sick
-That Serpico/Guts showdown Shiny/thrilled
-Got to wonder if Serpico thinking of anything else when he says "Allies infected with fear are worse than enemies"  silent
-I love the waySerpico's fighting is drawn, it's so perfectly expressing that light, whippy style, it feels like the wind
-As much as I didn't want to see that torture, the layout of the pages where Nina descends into the torture chamber is fantastic, it completely conveys the feeling of growing terror and aloneness and fading hope
-The whole exchange between Farnese and Serpico about her being summoned back by her father was really good, too.
-"Sorry, but move your ass. I'm about to break." Interesting.
- Puck's face again when Farnese remembers where she's seen him before rofl
-When Mozgus said "it is through death that we espy faith," Demon Fetus looked interested. like that meant something to it.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:37 am

Vol 20/155-165

Spoiler:

- Nina's talking herself into dropping Luca and then Luca just lets go before she can get there
- The short torturer on Guts' back with the pliers and all I could think of was "OH NO, HE'S GOING TO PULL OUT YOUR TEETH, GUTS"
- Or he should've, he went for the eye and Guts caught it with his teeth
- Luca describing the showdown between the Skull Knight and the Egg of the New World as "ethereal" instead of freaking out like most people would Shiny/thrilled
- Y-yeah, fuck up all the normies, Egg-kun
- "His manhood's in pieces. God rest their souls" Laughing
- ELF STRIKE ANGEL GO STABBITY
- The Hand emerging out of the tower
- The dead bodies just barely taking form of the four other Godhand members
- Eyyyy Zodd
- The Demon Abortion is Griffith-ing in the Egg of the New World
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:37 am

Vol 21/166-176

Spoiler:

- The chapter called "Leaping Fish" Shiny/thrilled
- Fucking Jerome trying to pretend like he's not part of all this bullshit because Farnese and Serpico are there rofl
- Casca having flashbacks because the peasant mob reminds her of the demons Sad
- Guts arguably failing to save Casca again, except this time he's fully armed and got the squad with him
- Bible blocked Guts sword
- God man, the monster blobs with the skeletons in them. Fucking detail
- "Those Who Cling, Those Who Struggle" Eyyyyy my favourite chapter/episode name *fires up nerdy speed metal)
- Guts was essentially useless during the Advent against the Godhand, but with this pseudo-Advent defeats a pseudo-Angel
- Christ, Guts kills an Angel in front of the people and the Slimes devour them, fuck that's brutal
- The Egg of the Perfect World's Perfect World is one where him and everyone around him are gone, like he never existed :/
- So as someone who has never broken a bone I'd probably freak out if I did too, but Nina complaining about a broken ankle after seeing Guts basically almost die every other fight is kinda funny
- The reassuring voice of Guts
- Puck goes Guts-crazy again, accidentally burns Isidoro Laughing
- Nina in the barrel in a fetal position the same way the demon abortion is in the Egg of the Perfect World
- Oh shit, the Demon Abortion turns into Griffith's corporeal body?
- FUCKING KUSHANS
- Eyyyy Silat
- Azan, my guy Shiny/thrilled
- ZODD WELL FUCK EVERYONE I GUESS
- Guts about to go savage monster but then Casca starts making noise and reaching out and it calms him right down
- Of course Guts is cutting apart the Kushan main army now..
- The nonbelievers lived because there's no God to save them and they got to live
- The Egg got his wish, someone remembered him
- "You could have one on the house as thanks" and "The boy with a slouch in his stride", holy shit rofl rofl rofl
- I do wonder if the whole Egg thing would've actually worked without Casca and Guts and therefore the Demon Abortion existing in the Interstice. Griffith basically hitched a ride on something that exists between worlds and causality put all the pieces together, but Guts and Casca kinda exist outside causality to so how did causality make it all happen?
- "Introduce me to someone richer than you." Poor Jerome getting savaged

Awriiiight, Hawk of the Millennium STARTOH next time
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:31 pm

Vol 20/155-165
Spoiler:

-for some reason "He's twirling! He's twirling" made me laugh
-"Now everything you are is in the palm of my hand," power and powerlessness is such a constant heartbeat to this series in all the little moments
-and Luca short-circuits Nina's little power trip by letting go Laughing
-Luca's happy expression when Skull Knight says she's alive, it's so goofy!
-Luca's such a badass, I love her
-Seeing white feathers from Mozgus' wings surrounding Casca made me genuinely mad, like keep your Griffith symbolism the fuck away from her!
-Ishidoro hearing that Guts is important and immediately racing out to do him a favour Laughing  And then "YEE! You go first, man!" rofl
-grabbing the pincer thing in his teeth Shiny/thrilled
-"If you're a knight, then die in battle for women and children." "I wanna live for women!" Laughing
-Skull Knight's armour even has a detailed spine Shiny/thrilled Honestly, the artwork in this is so insane, everything has so much detail and the linework shading, too, it's incredible
-"The real world has begun to crack, starting here"
-behelit-guy's eyes peering out of the pile of corpses
-Guts is a torch too
-what happens here might change the truth of whether beings like Skull Knight are something the ordinary world should be involved with or not?
-is it wrong that I'm still laughing that the angle whose arm got cut off is holding it in his teeth and still using it? Uh-oh
-the blob monsters are way more horrifying in the manga
-The scene of the tower collapsing and becoming hand-shaped is gorgeous, this guy is an absolute master!
-oh god that scene of the people ripping apart and eating a child, I spend half the time wishing this guy wasn't such an absolute master sick
-Guts' face at the brand forming in the landscape below, and then standing before the tower he just looks sick, like he can't even fully react to it
-The intensity of that page where he slices the forming blob-Angel through Nod
-Again he looks lost when he realizes the blob-Angels aren't real and Griffith's not there, and then starting to panic when he starts to think it'll be a repeat of the Eclipse and he can't save Casca
-"Let us die together. At least, you can dream in your cradle of the new world inside of me" and the egg-pose
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:38 pm

Vol 21/166-176
Spoiler:

-I feel an instant burst of rage every time I see a picture of Griffith, Berserk has pavlov'ed me!
-whoops, Casca's clothes got randomly ripped off, it's sure lucky Guts shops somewhere with higher quality material  innocent
-wait, and now they're back on? was it a metaphorical clothes-getting-ripped-off, then??? i-is that a thing??
-Isidoro fucking saves the day
-That moment when Guts flies at Mozgus and Casca sees him and "maybe you aren't a shadow on the water"
-"the monkey is the criminal, please let the elf and the girl go" Laughing
-in the manga, you feel much more how precarious Guts' chance to stop things is, how much it's resting on Isidoro, that without him he really might not have been able to save Casca.
-Isidoro's face when Puck says he can take on the two servants himself rofl
-Puck thinking maybe there's something to the idea of getting rid of the people with the brands Sad
-"If you see god, tell him this...LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE" is such a badass line Shiny/thrilled
-the glob monsters get just a teeny bit more horrifying-looking every panel
-Guts holding Casca close to him
-"If you're a coward, you might as well show me the spirit of a coward" Laughing Luca I love you
-"I had forgotten that this is a world upon which the sun does rise," and a shot of Casca with Puck defiantly clutching his dandelion sword on her  shoulder Happy tears
-Serpico only starts sweating when Farnese seriously takes up her torch silent
-fantastic page
-GRIIIIIIFIIIIIITHHHH
-Casca seemed to recognize Zod specifically. Though I guess it could have been just as a sign of Griffith's arrival
-The heartbeat as Skull Knight points, and Guts knows
-the use of light is so fucking good, it makes Griffith feel holy in spite of not wanting to have any kind of positive reaction to him
-Guts' rage changing to shock and shame as he realizes he completely forgot about Casca to chase after Griffith again
-"You could have one on the house" says the prostitute, and Isidoro dies rofl
-Azan crying at having been betrayed by those he protected. Again...?

Every chapter I read I'm impressed anew at Miura's skill both in story-telling and in art, in spite of his failings
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:56 pm

Vol 22/177-186

Spoiler:

- "A forest in a dream." I love how Miura makes his supernatural stuff almost about the feeling and emotions of the world around everyone shifting. He's said his stuff was more like a shoujou than a shonen, and I think this is one of the primary reasons why. Shonen are more about logically built systems that are activated through intense emotions, shoujou are more about feelings and emotions altering the world and people around them.
- Aww Godo Sad
- Casca's so happy to see Erica
- Lying to Erica, Guts is the worst :nono:
- Guts forgot his urge to kill Griffith the moment he saw him as a human :/
- Just imagine reading this weekly and then being left with that cliffhanger of "Oh yeah, Griffith's hanging out here too."
- Rickert's sure been making a lot swords that are more useful to Griffith than anyone
- Guts yells "Why are you with Griffith?!" Zodd gives him a look like "Are you stupid? Look how pretty he is!"
- Did Guts just kick a sword into Zodd's gut? rofl
- Griffith feeling something for Guts, trying to explain it away as the demon abortion who's part of his body
- Griffith inviting Rickert along :nono:
- So he protected Casca and still thinks it's the Demon Abortion's influence and not himself
- Damn, Silat, don't take shit from that guy Shiny/thrilled
- "We now return to our mission to find the Hawk." 3 Seconds Later "Hey guys, we found him!"
- Griffith has all the cheat codes on now
- The Moonlight Knight blasts off at the speed of light.
- Surrender now or prepare to fight.
- THAT'S RIGHT
- "Some day I'll lop off your head and make it mine."
- "The King of the Blind White Sheep." Schierkeeeee Shiny/thrilled
- Griffith makes people feel like they're in a fairy tale
- Farnese orders Serpico by the fire, knowing he doesn't like fire
- Farnese treating Serpico almost like a wounded animal she's nursing back to health
- Sic'ing dogs on him, why didn't you just kill her in her sleep? :nono:
- Man, Farnese is massively fucked up.
- "Oh, I thought so." Just a random "Oh yeah, I'm your dad."
- Fire has multiple meanings of both personal damage and warmth to Farnese and Serpico
- She fucking throws her glove in a nobelman's face for insulting Serpico, and then makes him actually fight the duel rofl
- Now she's turning him into her ragdoll bunny, loving him and eating him. What the fuck, Miura?
- Serpico rejected her and that was it for her feelings for him, and the mansion they lived in, and her marriage, and what remained of her rational thoughts
- Coincidentally, heretics started burning down mansions, and now Farnese gets to burn down the world around her
- Can't tell if Farnese's mad jealous and wants him to burn his mother as revenge or if she hates that she has to make him do this in order to keep his name clear
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:30 pm

bomaye wrote:
Spoiler:

- "A forest in a dream." I love how Miura makes his supernatural stuff almost about the feeling and emotions of the world around everyone shifting. He's said his stuff was more like a shoujou than a shonen, and I think this is one of the primary reasons why. Shonen are more about logically built systems that are activated through intense emotions, shoujou are more about feelings and emotions altering the world and people around them.

This is one of the reasons I will always emphatically recommend Berserk to people who don't like shonen Nod

bomaye wrote:
Spoiler:

- Griffith feeling something for Guts, trying to explain it away as the demon abortion who's part of his body
- So he protected Casca and still thinks it's the Demon Abortion's influence and not himself

This is by far one of my favorite panels in the manga. Punches me in the guts (Shiny/thrilled) every time.
Spoiler:
Berserk - Page 16 L7wdzzjah8j31

bomaye wrote:
Spoiler:

- She fucking throws her glove in a nobelman's face for insulting Serpico, and then makes him actually fight the duel rofl
- Now she's turning him into her ragdoll bunny, loving him and eating him. What the fuck, Miura?
- Serpico rejected her and that was it for her feelings for him, and the mansion they lived in, and her marriage, and what remained of her rational thoughts
- Coincidentally, heretics started burning down mansions, and now Farnese gets to burn down the world around her
- Can't tell if Farnese's mad jealous and wants him to burn his mother as revenge or if she hates that she has to make him do this in order to keep his name clear
Cannot even tell you how much I love these two and their dynamic and how pissed I am that the shitty anime did not come close to portraying it with the same depth and weirdness.
Werel
Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:10 pm

Vol 22/177-186
Spoiler:

-"secretly, at some point, their silence...ceased to be mere silence"
-Godo's grave Sad
-Erica talking about Guts staying and they can all live happily together, and Guts sort of agrees but admits to himself he only half means it :/
-holy fuck, when he first saw Griffith looking like a person again he forgot his desire to kill him for a moment
-standing in the hill of swords HOW DARE YOU
-Rickert crying with happiness that Griffith's there Sad
-the art is so good at conveying pure rage
-That completely stricken look that Griffith is still like he used to be
-it's funny, Guts looks almost betrayed at Zodd for being on Griffith's side, like how could even an old enemy join him?
-and the way that just the fact that he can actually fight towards Griffith instead of just chasing a shadow feels like hope
-Griffith's heart beating, feeling something, even if he blames demon fetus for it
-Rickert finally realizes that's Zodd, and that maybe there's a reason Guts is trying to kill Griffith
-that bit with Griffith and Casca
-"Nothing has changed. Nothing has ended"
-Guts using 'irreplaceable people' on Rickert to make him stay with Erica
-He feels deserted, this series doesn't do simple feelings, it would be super-easy to just make it all badass rage and revenge, or alternately a simplistic "revenge just harms yourself", but instead it really gets into every crevice of the heart, that he's just plain sad, that he's feeling that loss of Griffith even though as the reader you almost feel like how the fuck can he?
-All the weird random people coming to show off how awesome they are and then joining Griffith is still pretty pointless-feeling and a little too shounen in the manga too.
-Only Schierke's not on board with Griffith
-Gorgeous
-"Every day my mother forced me to bear more pride than I could. And every day the city robbed me of that pride completely." Poor little Serpico.
-And little Farnese burning her pets, and Serpico knowing he's a pet too, but also understanding how she scares others away because she's scared of being left, and not leaving, and his true self getting buried under the snow so he can grasp for happiness
-the bent saplings entwining as they grow and bearing strange fruit, the snow that buries the self and the past, the fire that burns and melts the snow, the anime was a fucking crime
-The two of them holding the torch together

bomaye wrote:
Spoiler:

Love this.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:38 pm

Vol 23/187-196
Spoiler:

-I lol'd at Guts fighting snowman-spirits, they're kind of cute!
-the feeling of the shadow of who Casca used to be wearing him down, that memory of her in armour charging into battle
-"she's a sacrifice so you can continue longing for Griffith" Shudder
-that gentle, sad look when he says "as if that could ever be"
-and then that moment where he's a snarling monster with his hand at her throat
-the pressure to not die is harder than the pressure to save someone
-*yawn* it's Casca-threatened-with-rape o'clock again. At least it's some hope the memory of her charging in battle still lives somewhere inside
-somehow the moment when he's just kissing her while she's struggling to get away is worse than the black dog's gorefest rape-o-vision violence
-Isidoro stealing Serpico and Farnese's luggage Laughing
-Farnese wants to learn the truth and a way to survive in the darkness, don't we all? Wink
-In the anime it felt more just practical that he let them join b/c he needed someone Casca wasn't scared of, here it feels more deeply that he's just too worn down and scared of himself not to
-I still feel white-eyed rage for a moment every time someone calls Griffith's new army the Band of the Hawk
-the clean, light, flowing way Griffith is drawn in contrast to everything else, even though his art is also incredibly detailed and technical, Miura draws feelings
-I wanted to make a joke about the Moonlight Knight and Sailor Moon, but then I realized I probably already made it with the anime, and I felt extreme disapproval of my past self even though present self was going to do the exact same fucking thing
-This page.
-Serpico and Puck both shut-eye staring rofl
-Farnese realizing how useless she is, that there's no sudden magical change coming to let her become a flame, and apologizing to Casca. It should be almost a non-sequitur, but it's totally right.
-the last panel on this page, "I have been so small" - the enormous, powerful universe, and a mundane little pile of leaves, a little kindness that would be easy not to give
-Serpico dropping the bucket when she says she's a burden
-Guts being sad at the idea of Midland disappearing

Actually, you know, it just occurred to me, the most torturous and agonizing decision this series could culminate in, way worse than 'save Casca/the new group' vs 'get revenge' or choosing the new irreplaceable people vs. the old ones or sacrificing the new for the old himself, would be if Griffith really is the saviour of the world and what can make it a less awful place and the only way for Guts to protect his irreplaceable people is to just let Griffith live and go about ruling the world, so it's let Casca and the new nakama die or put down his sword and let Griffith have a happy ending.

I mostly don't think that would happen (and the fact that Schierke came out so strongly against Griffith from the first glimmer of him she saw gives me a little more confidence, she seems like about as solid a guide to the moral centre of this universe as there can be), but there's a tiny part of me that's scared Berserk could just be sadistic enough to do it.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:31 pm

Vol 23/187-196

Spoiler:

- Snowman monsters rofl
- The Black Dog telling him to kill Casca, become "closer" to Griffith and hunt him down :/
- Guts doesn't even help Puck with the octopus monster rofl
- Choking out Casca because the pressure of protecting her is getting to him.
- Damn, Casca went for his knife
- Oh fuck, she PTSD'd out and hacked up the bandits
- Jesusssss, the imagery of the black dog tearing her to shreds sick
- Just in time for the nerd squad to come back together
- Guts feeling powerless again, just gives in to letting everyone follow him so it'll be easier to look after and protect Casca
- Eyyyy Psychic Waifu
- The New Band of the Hawk using what the Kushans use to recruit their army, but they're also using what Griffith used on Guts to get him in the fold
- "Shall I hold your hand?" Shoulda said yes :nono:
- "Next time I'll bring you a corpse." Actually maybe don't hold her hand
- I wonder if Griffith is sending those souls to a heavenly plane or if they're ending up in that void that all the demons are afraid of
- Guts actually training Isidoro Laughing
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:42 pm

Enail wrote:Vol 23/187-196

Spoiler:

Actually, you know, it just occurred to me, the most torturous and agonizing decision this series could culminate in, way worse than 'save Casca/the new group' vs 'get revenge' or choosing the new irreplaceable people vs. the old ones or sacrificing the new for the old himself, would be if Griffith really is the saviour of the world and what can make it a less awful place and the only way for Guts to protect his irreplaceable people is to just let Griffith live and go about ruling the world, so it's let Casca and the new nakama die or put down his sword and let Griffith have a happy ending.

I mostly don't think that would happen (and the fact that Schierke came out so strongly against Griffith from the first glimmer of him she saw gives me a little more confidence, she seems like about as solid a guide to the moral centre of this universe as there can be), but there's a tiny part of me that's scared Berserk could just be sadistic enough to do it.

Spoiler:

I have heard it described before that Berserk is the story of the bad guys. Griffith's seemingly even controlling and pacifying demons who would otherwise be running roughshod over the land. It's possible the Egg of the Perfect World molded him or the forces of causality so he can actually save the world. But his actions mean they'd be saving the world by evil means instead of it naturally happening that way.

It's also possible that, since the Egg rebirthed Griffith using part of the Demon Abortion, that he's always going to protect Casca and Guts killing Griffith actually makes the world more dangerous for her, so maybe another reason he might have to let Griffith win
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:56 pm

bomaye wrote:
Enail wrote:Vol 23/187-196

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I have heard it described before that Berserk is the story of the bad guys. Griffith's seemingly even controlling and pacifying demons who would otherwise be running roughshod over the land. It's possible the Egg of the Perfect World molded him or the forces of causality so he can actually save the world. But his actions mean they'd be saving the world by evil means instead of it naturally happening that way.

It's also possible that, since the Egg rebirthed Griffith using part of the Demon Abortion, that he's always going to protect Casca and Guts killing Griffith actually makes the world more dangerous for her, so maybe another reason he might have to let Griffith win

Good god, Enail, I really hadn't given any serious thought to that possibility, but it would be perfect and brutal.

bomaye wrote:
Spoiler:
But his actions mean they'd be saving the world by evil means instead of it naturally happening that way.
Spoiler:
But would you expect Berserk to stick with a simple dichotomy of good/evil for the most important plot arc? I can see Miura flipping the whole thing on its head and arguing that fate, which chose Griffith again and again, transcends good or evil, and the real disaster would be a fish like Guts breaking the surface of the water, toppling the entire mechanism of causality & maybe destroying the world.
Werel
Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:31 pm

Spoiler:

The background mechanisms of the world seem pretty black-and-white. Maybe Griffith is somewhat hacking the system (but maybe not, he seems to be progressing similar to the Skull Knight) and his way will lead to a more lasting peace in the world than otherwise, but he's also the Hawk of Darkness.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:08 pm

Vol 24/197-206

Spoiler:

- Isidoro is the fucking worst. Pretending to happily hug the man he robbed who was still showing him charity, just so he can get close enough to side-suplex him Laughing
- "I've survived because of these stones my wits." "And your impudence and depravity..."
- Two-handed style, and he was doing pretty good Shiny/thrilled
- I like how Isidoro is basically the classic shonen hero archetype.
- Fucking Puck's wry smile rofl
- Schierke Shiny/thrilled
- I love how they're hiding Schierke's face and making her seem all sinister, when she's the Shoujo Magical Girl to Isidoro's Shonen Hero
- Casca's teasing ape-brained Isidoro Laughing
- Puck killing a Golem figurine is adorable
- I think Flora's quietly shipping Isidoro and Schierke
- "You may rest easy for the night." Happy tears
- The World of the Idea ooooooooo
- "Savor the taste" Fucking Puck rofl rofl rofl
- Accept the mysteries and explore the universe from within your world
- I wonder if the Abyss/Void is the same place that all the demons are being sucked into when they die. Seems like this Age of Darkness/Godhand thing is just them in their fear trying to get as far away from it as possible
- Dat Casca booty
- Ha, what if the Behelit actually is Puck's and the story's been telling us this the whole time but he just assumed it was Guts
- God bestows upon us fate, but it is the children of men who choose it. A Behelit's the proverbial devil's contract, right at your moment of biggest weakness and when you need it the most
- Isidoro is going to burn the world down rofl
- The shoreline to the sea. I love how there's always useful basic metaphors to describe the ethereal world
- Guts giving Farnese the job of defending Casca, just as easily a Griffith gave Guts the job of defending the rear
- D'awwww, Schierke knows she's not going to be taken seriously as a witch so she's hiding behind Gatsoo
- She won't use magic to prove to the townspeople that magic is real but she's totally fine cursing Isidoro Laughing
- Guts is a monster who eats monsters
- The old man relaying how his childhood dreams kind of just slowly died as he became an adult
- "Yeah, they're assholes, why just not let'em die." Good old Guts
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:49 am

Vol 24/197-206
Spoiler:

-Isidoro beating up on one of the, what, three nice regular human beings in the entire world of Berserk Sad
-Guts patiently teaching Isidoro  Heart
-Serpico saying  it'd be nice if Guts died, that look
-And Guts looks weirdly happy at it, like "yay, I got the closed-eyes guy to be upfront for once!"
-Schierke seems so cool and mysterious in her introduction, even knowing she's going to turn out to be a cute tween apprentice-witch (but also pretty fucking cool, to be fair)
-"Adonai"...is this Hebrew???
-When the old man says "ever since that night it's like the whole world has changed, as if all that had been before was a lie, the look on Guts' face
-it feels strange and almost scary to see something magical in this world that isn't horrifying and dripping in evil
-Isidoro running away from the Golem with tears in his eyes shouting "NICE AFRO!"  Laughing
-Guts trying to figure out why they seem different from dead spirits and apostle demons, and it's probably just hard because the feeling of "not pure evil" is so unfamiliar
-"who'll win, dirt bag or bags o' dirt," Puuuck Laughing
-Casca does her "holy innocent" thing and finds the hearts of the golems
-I like the way Serpico just neatly stabs right through the heart with only a tiny hole
-Puck's happy memories are of the magic-users trying to swat him Laughing
-Guts when Flora says her talisman will protect him from being possessed
-You feel so deeply how the relentlessness of the demon attacks and constant fear of himself wears him down, that safety for one night really sounds like a promise of heaven
-Puck's "savour the taste" while rubbing himself on Farnese's face rofl
-her muscles I can understand, but how the fuck did Casca lose all her scars this quickly?! That seems super-sad. It's like all her proof that she wasn't living a lie has been wiped away and now it's just the generic body of a generic helpless sexy victim  :/
-Behelit has a favourite food now Laughing
-Puck learns he's not a chestnut-head rofl
-Serpico got the coolest treasure
-In the physical world the tree rotted two hundred years ago Shiny/thrilled
-Guts actually telling Farnese she can protect Casca
-It's weird that Guts is the one to put on a show of holiness to convince the village, he never does that kind of thing!
-Aww, Isidoro trying to pretend he doesn't admire Guts
-Yoda Puck rofl
-Serpico and Farnese, changed but not for him, and then learning to use the unfettered wind that's so alien to him, that was evocative

Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:49 pm

Vol25/207-216
Spoiler:

-Serpico's feather-sword cutting off body parts with a time-delay and spinning projectiles away with his wind-cloak Shiny/thrilled
-You think Serpico's pretty badass with his magic gear, but then Guts charges in and you remember just how big the difference still is btwn them
-"that shadow that coils around that sword..."
-Farnese realizing she was just as bad as the priest, but Casca's trust makes her keep going, she doesn't even try for someone else even if they're in a tight spot, but whenever it's up to her for Casca, she goes all in, seeing someone she really can be a torch to makes her try to be genuinely strong even though she knows now she's weak
-That brushpainting style is cool
-"rotten moomin freaks" rofl
-The shading to make magic seem magical is so fantastic, Schierke's power seems wild and natural and bigger than her, while Griffith's is pure and holy-seeming but almost too bright, like the world around him might not be quite the same world as when it's not around him and it reminds you that's probably not a good thing even though it's throwing so much 'holy' at you
-also, holy fuck, I forgot how awesome Schierke is
-I don't remember this much explanation of how magic and the spiritual realm works, it's cool, and also I like the way it comes off like the witches have a lot deeper knowledge about these things, but it's not necessarily the total knowledge or the only correct way to understand it, it's not just "this more positive, spritual view is the one you should have been looking at everything from all along" or what you can assume everything will fit squarely into from now on.
-Serpico seeing that he and Farnese aren't trapped together in darkness anymore, and giving her freedom his blessing even though he's clearly not sure what it means for him, his character arc has been so understated but it's solid underneath the surface
-Isidoro's expression seeing Schierke's power, after he's been unable to do anything in this fight, after even an old man did more for him than he could do for anyone
-Guts being so kind to Schierke after her fuckup, even though he's scared for Casca, it's adorable how he plays chivalrous servant for her. He actually seems to really like kids in general, though I think Schierke moreso just because he's genuinely impressed by how awesome she is, and also she's neither arrogant nor needy, so he doesn't feel a need to put on as much of a show of not caring as he usually does and kind of seems to want her to get to be just a kid.
-Serpico leaving it to Guts to save Farnese, he's having a new experience of powerlessness in his own way by genuinely fighting for something he might not be strong enough for instead of sidestepping everything and playing like he's not trying.
-Isidoro just standing there clenching his fist as Guts walks away, but then he calls back to him to hurry up, and he follows along
-Face man Laughing
-The elves riding Face man rofl
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Today at 11:19 am

Vol 25/207-216

Spoiler:

- That rush of Wind Spirits going at the trolls Shiny/thrilled
- It looked like they protected Serpico from the attacker from above even though he didn't swing it too
- Isidoro throwing the seeds at the Trolls and it works ('tweren't very cool Laughing)
- Guts the Human Windmill, doesn't need magic in the slight least
- Guts might just be superman because his remaining in the Interstice means he can project his will enough to affect living matter (maybe that's why Casca doesn't have scars anymore? Her brain is protecting her from her scars and traumas?)
- Isidoro's being swung by the sword because he's still not used to the physics and mechanics of swordfighting
- "King of the East" Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy, I think I saw thing in Band of the Hawk
- Four Sacred Kings, just like there was Four Angels before the Advent. Mebs Guts is the fifth sacred King, the King of DEATH
- "God's name belongs only to God." The words and mantras are different, but the spirits salvation are the same regardless. God I love the metaphysics of Berserk
- The only way to perceive those who exist as ideas is through the mind.
- Fucking hated the Ogre fight in Band of the Hawk, it always came with a Seahorse monster
- Yeah, the Kelpie
- Puck's eyes when he's letting everyone know that Guts fighting the Ogre is fine, it's what he does
- Serpico's already so used to the Wind Elementals that he just jumps off the church knowing that he'll float down
- "Openweight division tag match" rofl
- "I'll simply blow it around" Right into the point of Serpico's sword Shiny/thrilled
- Notice how they keep giving each other into each other's care. Guts gives Casca to Farnese, Serpico gives Farnese to Guts, everyone gives their own well-being to Schierke when she's spellcasting.
- "Taint" *snickers*
- Face Man the Pseudo-Behelit
- Puck and Isidoro are more bothered by being used to freaky monster shit than the actual freak monster shit Laughing
- The Trash Compactor Monster from Star Wars. a Malboro from Final Fantasy
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Today at 12:03 pm

Vol 26/217-226

Spoiler:

- Guts knows just what to say to his party of adventurers... kinda like Griffith used to silent
- "There's too many Trolls, wtf bro" "Nah don't worry, I got it."
- Isidoro's the rear guard Happy tears
- "First hundred-man... no, hundred-beast kill-fest I've had in a while." Shiny/thrilled Shiny/thrilled Shiny/thrilled
- Guts recognizes the feeling when the Godhand Angels are near
- "Why not make a sacrifice, as he did?" Mother fuck, they're TEMPTING Guts to try to make him one of them.
- "Whore Princess of the Uterine Sea" is definitely one of the GOAT chapter names
- Slan's surprise and excitement at Guts actually shooting through her ethereal form
- The fucking demonic smile on Schierke's face when she says "Rot"
- Guts actually defeated a variation of the Advent.
- The Sword of Actuation is meant to throw the Angels into the void that demons are afraid of. God damn, there's a lot that the various anime versions left out Shiny/thrilled
- "Companions." Just wreck my shit out of nowhere again why don't you
- IIRC correctly the anime moved that "companions" moment to the end of the season
- Karma is a spiral. similar paths but they don't have to be the exact same
- Schierke's thoughts are all "Wtf even happened?" and Guts is like "I killed the shit out of an Angel."
- The Skull Knight has no name to give to mere War Demons Shiny/thrilled
- Fucking Guts eye as soon as he hears Grunbeld mention The Band of the Hawk
- Afternoon tea with the Golems ;_;
- The Skull Knight and Zodd both have different reasons from usual to fight each other
- "I'm the one disciple of Flora, Mistress of the Spirit Tree." She's such a cute little witch but they make her seem so badass with the way they depict her with a shadow covering her face
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Today at 12:58 pm

Vol 27/227-236

I think this is ends around where the anime left off, entering new territory

Spoiler:

- Guts memories of the Band of the Hawk are like the same campfire lights
- Flora's talisman was protecting Guts ego from giving into his black dog
- The look on Guts face when Casca's still afraid of him
- "We'll meet again your dreams." "My sunshine"  Crying
- Corpses everywhere
- Oh shiii, is Foss leading the resistance?
- The Alligator Men were some of my favourite monsters to cut down in Band of the Hawk
- There were missions involving this storyline to end Band of the Hawk but they never told storyline specifics so most of this is new to me
- Charlotte sees her father, and then all the Griffith embroidery makes itself known
- Inhumans want to get near Griffith because he's the closest thing there is to God, but the Kushan Emperor would rather he have his territory as a demon king
- Also Guts and Casca exist within the Interstice now, making them somewhat Inhuman. It explains their reactions to Griffith after he was reborn, Guts temporarily forgetting his rage and Casca reaching out to him
- Dangling women over alligator monsters. Well, okay then
- Making demon babies. Well, okay then.
- Sir Locus looks like a Legendary Pokemon
- Silat, just join the Band of the Guts already
- A full moon looking down on Ganishka.
- Griffith is going to fairy-tale fly Charlotte on her bed out of the tower? Wtf?
- Good guy, Zodd
- Guts is losing weight and his wounds aren't healing, fuck
- I assume Elfhelm is actually going to be Elfhell, burned to the ground etc
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Today at 6:43 pm

Vol 26/217-226
Spoiler:

-Actually thanking Farnese and Isidoro and praising their help/skill, how much effect it has on them
-and then Schierke's "they're all fools for him in the end." Hmm, ominous.
-Guts enjoying that being able to let others do the immediate protecting for him means he can really let go and fight without restraint, it feels both real relief and dangerous, knowing the Berserker armour's coming and having had more visceral a feeling of the stress of restraining himself
-The drop of water, with the tentacles rising up kind of evokes the 'fish breaking the surface'
-the creepy brain-like, veiny mass and then suddenly 'here, have some boobs at the top!' rofl
-"The uterus of darkness, the vicinity of the nether world where abominable spirits take etherial form," pff, lady, that's all uteruses, I guess I get to be a Whore Princess of the Uterine Sea too, then
-Isidoro kicking ass with the dagger at last Shiny/thrilled
-Schierke's creepy smile when she uses the Root Lord's power Shudder/Shiny/thrilled
-Not to belittle Guts' accomplishment, but gotta say, for an Advent, that was pretty weak showing. I guess unless the whole point was for him to destroy her as a way to throw another match into the fire of rage to eventually become that sacrifice she wanted
-the behelit-furnace/sword trick to make the Sword of Actuation, cutting open to the horrifying whorl of spirits, was this all in the anime?
-Even though I was ready for it this time, it was still a total gut punch of feelings. And I can accept it more here (I do think this scene was here, there was just also another moment like it at the last episode of the anime), whereas I was more reluctant with the anime, I think because the manga is waaaaay more successful at balancing the lighter nakama stuff and the dark elements, it doesn't feel like a completely different series awkwardly stuck on (and it's way more skilled in general, but I think it's mostly the balance).
- Karma is a spiral Shiny/thrilled I almost love the metaphysics more when they're just said in semi-opaque metaphors like this than when they're more fully explained, it's just so evocative of the whole depth of this world, like you're understanding something that isn't best said through words
-Wish we could see more of Skull Knight and Flora's friendship, 'old friends with sad history' dynamics are catnip, and the hints of him as a human
-Isidoro's success going to his head = rolling around on the floor possibly the whole trip back Laughing
-When Schierke is hearing Guts' thoughts, it seems off, the nonchalant, almost braggy tone of "I kicked her ass with one stab from this," compared to how distressed he looked while he was fighting Sexy Troll-Guts, how subdued he seemed after, and how matter-of-fact he generally is about his abilities, I'm not sure if it's just an off moment in the writing or if it's implying something I'm not following...
-"This time, we both have different reasons than usual." God, I want to see more of Zodd and Skull Knight's deal!
-There's something awesome about this page, the ominousness of that silhouette
-It's sort of more unnerving watching Guts fighting in the armour while it looks like Skull Knight, before it molds to him; once it's got the Black Dog look, it's scary because it's his own hate that might take him over, but before that it's like something alien that could take him over, it's like it's both Guts and not Guts
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum