Remakes, Reboots, and Adaptations

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Remakes, Reboots, and Adaptations

Post by eselle28 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:00 pm

UristMcBunny wrote:That said, I cannot for the life of me imagine I could ever be happy about, say, a Labyrinth or Dark Crystal remake.  Simply because so much of what was essential to the tone and spirit of them feels like stuff no director in a million years would do now.  And because it would be all too easy for 3D and CGI to ruin them.

They're making sequels to BOTH of them.

eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny on Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:19 pm

eselle28 wrote:
UristMcBunny wrote:That said, I cannot for the life of me imagine I could ever be happy about, say, a Labyrinth or Dark Crystal remake.  Simply because so much of what was essential to the tone and spirit of them feels like stuff no director in a million years would do now.  And because it would be all too easy for 3D and CGI to ruin them.

They're making sequels to BOTH of them.

Moderator of "Romantic and Sexual Relationships"

View user profile http://uristmcdorf.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:05 pm

I hereby wish to dedicate all the nopes that remain to me to this news.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan on Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:10 am

Apparently we need not (yet) fear a Labyrinth sequel, but a "Dark Crystal 2" might still be happening.

Still gonna throw a few more nopes on the pile.
nearly_takuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kath on Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:15 pm

Hmm. I think sometimes you can do it really well ...

I thought the movie of Fight Club was a brilliant adaptation of the novel. I may have seen the movie first though and then read it ... Princess Bride was also great, and I love many adaptations of Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland. Those have the mythic status. Like King Arthur. I also really really like the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice from 1995. And I don't think I've seen Solaris, but I have seen La Jetee, and heard Solaris was a very good adaptation.

One adaptation that I think I would have liked in a different context but didn't as it was, is Wicked the musical. I loved Wicked the book, and I love adaptations of The Wizard of Oz, but Wicked the book did not make sense as the kind of musical it was made into. And I love musicals, and i like a lot of the music from Wicked, but the musical also dispensed with a lot of the weirdness that made the book awesome. Can't the Clock of the Time Dragon sing a scary song?

There are some adaptations where I just can't make a call. Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. I just like do not have an independent opinion of the films.

But there are other things I am totally down with remakes of. Remade fairy tale? Totally there! Some are horrible, some are fantastic, totally excited for the great ones (like Snow, Glass, Apples, or Francesca Lia Block's Rose and the Beast), skip the awful ones or watch them and be like "meh, that was awful".

One thing I found really interesting around the commentary on Abrams Star Trek was that it erased the timeline. I found that fascinating, because of course it can't erase the original timeline, all of it only ever existed as films, so while the new ones won't include those events, you can obviously still watch the original ones.
kath

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan on Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:07 am

Apparently Marvel's planning to revisit Secret Wars in 2015. Why?

I'm already saving up some nopes for that.
nearly_takuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:45 pm

kath wrote:And I don't think I've seen Solaris, but I have seen La Jetee, and heard Solaris was a very good adaptation.

I think 12 Monkeys is the remake of La Jetée, and while I haven't seen the latter, I love love 12 Monkeys-- would be curious to know what you think of it as an adaptation! And I haven't seen the old Solaris, but love the new one... I really need to go back and watch the originals for comparison. Smile
Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kath on Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:40 pm

Oh right, I have no idea why I was connecting Solaris with La Jetee! Actually, probably becasue it was in the same class that we talked about all of them. Whoops!

I liked La Jetee a lot more than I liked 12 Monkeys, which is why I didn't list it. I'm not sure why I didn't like 12 Monkeys .... maybe because I was like "yep, that La Jetee but way longer" ... ?I like Gilliam quite a bit.
kath

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum