Travelling....good or bad idea?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Travelling....good or bad idea?

Post by bitboy1993 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:05 pm

It's something I've been thinking heavily about for the last few weeks. I would mainly like to travel around Asia for 2 months(China,Japan,South Korea) and experience the different cultures. I know doing this won't fix my dating issues...But I need to do something as just sitting around at home makes me miserable. If I can get some unpaid leave from work I will hopefully travel next year.

Just wondering if people had any advice or experiences from travelling?

bitboy1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Travelling....good or bad idea?

Post by Enail on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:55 pm

That sounds cool! I think traveling is a really fun thing to do, and it feels good to have that kind of different experience/shake-up from your everyday life. But it's also easy to get overly high expectations about it, to expect that you or your life will be different when you get back in ways that it probably won't, so be careful about what hidden hopes you might be pinning to it.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bitboy1993 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:19 pm

Enail wrote:That sounds cool! I think traveling is a really fun thing to do, and it feels good to have that kind of different experience/shake-up from your everyday life. But it's also easy to get overly high expectations about it, to expect that you or your life will be different when you get back in ways that it probably won't, so be careful about what hidden hopes you might be pinning to it.

I guess my main hope is to gain more confidence. I don't really expect my overall life to just change(Suddenly become popular or lay all my insecurities to rest.) but I do hope I can just be a bit happier and enjoy life more. Smile

Overall I want to push myself and use the experience to sort out other areas of my life. ( Dating would be a big one). Plus I think I would regret not doing it.

bitboy1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amygdala on Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:36 pm

If you have the resources, why not? Go for it! I don't regret the bit of traveling in Japan and Singapore, and I don't know it was life-changing or not but the extra perspective was nice.

I don't know where you live, but you can always do some traveling to nearby neighborhoods and cities you're not well acquainted with, and you can get more or less the same confidence out of it. It's something my therapist has recommended to me as well as other people who might have high expectations about world travel.

Hell, I just love walking around areas new to me. It's the thrill of the unfamiliar and a reminder of how vast this planet is.
Amygdala

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:41 pm

bitboy1993 wrote:It's something I've been thinking heavily about for the last few weeks. I would mainly like to travel around Asia for 2 months(China,Japan,South Korea) and experience the different cultures. I know doing this won't fix my dating issues...But I need to do something as just sitting around at home makes me miserable. If I can get some unpaid leave from work I will hopefully travel next year.

Just wondering if people had any advice or experiences from travelling?

Oooh, you already have a jerb, I was gonna suggest teaching English in China for awhile if you didn't have a job already. So nevermind. Razz

My advice, travel out of a major airport if at all possible to another major airport and buy plane tickets on Tuesdays, for some reason Tuesdays seem to have the cheapest fares apparently.

Back to top Go down

Post by bitboy1993 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:06 pm

Amygdala wrote:If you have the resources, why not? Go for it! I don't regret the bit of traveling in Japan and Singapore, and I don't know it was life-changing or not but the extra perspective was nice.

I don't know where you live, but you can always do some traveling to nearby neighborhoods and cities you're not well acquainted with, and you can get more or less the same confidence out of it. It's something my therapist has recommended to me as well as other people who might have high expectations about world travel.

Hell, I just love walking around areas new to me. It's the thrill of the unfamiliar and a reminder of how vast this planet is.

Hmm I'm from England and I've more or less seen most important stuff near me. I could visit cities like Manchester or Liverpool but I have no real reason to.  Don't get me wrong, I honestly don't expect it to change me completely but I do think it might help. I just want to push myself to do something rather than sit around and regret it later in life.

I'm not going to drop everything (Job, Martel arts, friends) to go travelling.  But it's something I would like to try if I can get the time off.

Plus I just really want to visit the countries.

Where about's in Japan did you visit?

bitboy1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amygdala on Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:42 pm

bitboy1993 wrote:Where about's in Japan did you visit?

Different parts of Hokkaido, including Sapporo for Snow Festival and Otaru. Loved that cozy little city for its walkways and seafood.

I didn't get much Tokyo in, and that's a shame. Of course, that just means I'll have to go back one day.
Amygdala

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:14 am

Definitely seconding the idea to travel, if you have the resources and time! Needing to communicate, get around, and make acquaintances in a whole different culture can teach you a lot of new stuff about yourself, and about how to interact with the world in unfamiliar situations. There's a lot to be said for the kind of introspection that can result from being completely alone, thousands of miles from home, surrounded by stuff that's alien to you (at least in my experience, YMMV of course). Traveling alone has given me a lot of confidence in my adaptability, durability, and capacity to think on my feet in general, and that confidence translates to life at home to some degree.

I haven't spent much time in Japan, but Kyoto is very very cool if you're into history, and Tokyo is mind-blowing just by its very nature. South Korea is also super cool-- I enjoyed Gyeongju a lot; it's a bit less hectic than Seoul and there's tons of history there. Try learning just enough basics in the appropriate language to thank people, say hi, and introduce yourself; you'd be surprised how much some people appreciate it, and you may find yourself making unexpected friends as a result. And let us know how your plans are progressing!
Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum