Your Name/Kimi no Na wa

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Your Name/Kimi no Na wa

Post by bomaye on Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:31 am

Extremely high maximum level recommendation for this. Don't even watch the trailer, go into it as blind as you can (I did, it's worth it).

If you absolutely need a genre and aren't going to watch the trailer, then it's got elements of

Spoiler:

body swapping

in it.

This is the first non-Miyazaki and non-pre-existing-series anime movie to gross over $100 million (and that was only in Japanese theaters), and it's absolutely in Miyazaki's league.

Only thing is I don't think the official English language versions are out yet (next few months depending on where you are, it sounds like), and the version I saw was a multi-language version that explicitly made it clear that I shouldn't have been watching it in the first place, if you catch my drift <.<
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Name/Kimi no Na wa

Post by Werel Today at 4:08 am

Finally saw this and wasn't expecting to be so moved, surprising tearjerker.

I did laugh inappropriately when
Spoiler:
grandma was talking about the local god Musubi and all his domains.

"When you take liquid into your body... that's

Your relationships with people... that's

The flow of time... that's "

But hey why did
Spoiler:
grandma think Mitsuha was full of shit about the comet when she'd just been admitting that her whole lineage had supernatural body swapping abilities? Was it just that time travel wasn't a component of hers & mom's, or did she really think of it as only "dreaming" and not a literal real thing?

Also, I now want very badly to live in a small Japanese town's shinto shrine.
Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Today at 12:43 pm

Japanese nerd notes to spoil the joke
Spoiler:

musubi means something along the lines of 'tie' or 'knot', and from that it also means things like 'connection,'  so it works for spiritual talk about how things are meaningfully interconnected and also for a ball of rice that you tie up with seaweed.

I LOL'd, though. If I watch it again sometime, I'm totally going to be picturing . Although probably not with spam, I'm not sure I'm on board with that.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Today at 1:59 pm

Enail wrote:Japanese nerd notes to spoil the joke
Spoiler:

musubi means something along the lines of 'tie' or 'knot', and from that it also means things like 'connection,'  so it works for spiritual talk about how things are meaningfully interconnected and also for a ball of rice that you tie up with seaweed.

I LOL'd, though. If I watch it again sometime, I'm totally going to be picturing . Although probably not with spam, I'm not sure I'm on board with that.

Basically, what she's saying is

Spoiler:

bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum