What Movies Have You Watched Recently?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What Movies Have You Watched Recently?

Post by bomaye on Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:45 pm

Blade (1998)

Figured I was gonna do both a personal comic movie retrospective and a personal comic movie catch-up. I've watched Phase 1 Marvel and Amazing Spider-Man fairly recently so I'm probably not gonna do those, and I watched Spider-Man 1 and 2 so much in the past that I'm not gonna do those either. I was thinking of skipping the Batman Begins trilogy but I might give those a hard rewatch since I didn't quite like things that everyone else praised about them the first time. Everything else has either been long enough that I can give it a fresh revisit, or I just plain haven't seen (older and newer Marvel movies, most DC movies etc)

Blade is still a pretty fun, by-the-book action movie. Things I didn't notice then but do now

Spoiler:

- I didn't notice that they mashed together a bunch of B-Movie kung-fu and blaxploitation stuff as a kid, probably because I didn't know what those were. I've never seen Shaft before but now I'm at least familiar with the trope, the pitch for this movie must've sounded something like "Imagine if Shaft was a half Vampire and had kung-fu ninja gunfights with other Vampires who go to nightclubs and look a lot like The Matrix except The Matrix hasn't come out yet."
- Also did not notice the subtle "weird" stuff back then. Frost caressing his Vampire master, implying that they're a gay couple, and Blade's mom being a little incesty with him when talking about giving in to being a Vampire.
- Frost slipping in the line about Blade being an "Uncle Tom" flew right by me as a kid. I was kinda like "Wowwwww, why did they even go ther... ohhhhh, it's a hidden blaxploitation movie, this badass black guy is kicking the crap out of a whole bunch of white dudes who use people as cattle. Frost even has a thing for black women."
- Frost bullet-timing Blade's gunshots in the park standoff feels iconic to me for some reason.
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What Movies Have You Watched Recently?

Post by Datelessman on Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:23 pm

The last movie I saw in theaters was "WONDER WOMAN", which I thought was excellent. Considering I was mostly horrified by "BATMAN V. SUPERMAN: YAWN OF JUSTICE", I was concerned, but "WONDER WOMAN" proved to be great. Gal Gadot was much better as Diana this time around and Patty Jenkins' direction was terrific. Chris Pine was a great Steve Trevor and I thought Lucy Davis' Etta all but stole the flick. Robin Wright's Antiope also came close to stealing the film, she was utterly transformed into the role.

Spoiler:
Honestly the only issues I had with the film were aspects to the franchise that were either attached by Zack Synder do to its inclusion in the same "world" as MAN OF STEEL and BVS, or likely insisted by DC Entertainment exec Geoff Johns as part of the then-current "New 52" retcon origin (which, by now, Greg Rucka spent the last year removing). Y'know, the stuff about being Zeus' daughter rather than a clay child, Diana being able to shoot lightening, her personal connection to Ares (who is Zeus' son here rather than brother, which is too close to Marvel's Loki for me), that sort of thing. I was a little iffy about it being mostly set in World War I if only because Diana's supporting cast is essential, and dating it that far back hinders its ability to stay consistent. Imagine if Superman was cast as a period piece (because, hey, he debuted in 1938) and that meant the sequels set in modern day would prevent Lois, Perry, Jimmy, etc. from showing up because by then they'd all be dead or extremely elderly. WONDER WOMAN has this problem. Even without Trevor's noble "sacrifice", this still means barring some sort of magic, we can't see Etta again. This is troublesome because part of why Wonder Woman hasn't gotten as deeply entrenched into public memory is because her cast changes a lot. People in huts know who Alfred the butler is, after all.

Beyond that, though, the WWI setting worked out better than I expected. The scenes on Paradise Island worked, and the "no man's land" bit is easily a highlight. Above all they got Diana's character pitch perfect, which is the main thing. It also had a far lighter tone mixed in with the seriousness which helped it remain entertaining. Easily the best of the DCEU era.

In terms of movies I've watched on DVD, the last one was "BATMAN: THE MOVIE" from 1966 as part of my revisit of the Adam West era.
Datelessman

View user profile https://datelessman.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:31 am

Blade 2 (2002)

FUCK, this movie is so cool. And definitely existing in that immediate post-Matrix world where every action movie needed crazy acrobatics and bullet-time even if they needed now-badly aging CGI to do it

Spoiler:

- I still lol at The Cat from Red Dwarf being a serious Vampire Ninja. Both characters have the fangs.
- For some reason I remembered Whistler being the bad guy and not the other nerd. I also remembered Whistler not coming back for the second movie, so maybe I was thinking of the third movie? I guess I'll see when I get there.
- Guillermo Del Toro must be a big fan of the Alien movies.
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackBart on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:32 pm

So, today I went to see The Hitman's Bodyguard (no relation to either game series or Kevin Costner/Whitney Houston flick), and it was...fun. As fun as you can expect from a "buddy action comedy" genre. Lot of LOL moments, good chemistry between Reynolds and Jackson, and good action.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum