Star Trek: Discovery

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

Post by bomaye on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:08 am

S1 E8

Wooooow, Saru

Spoiler:

- Stamets called Tilly "captain." Was he really "jumbled", or is he like time-jumping too?
- Of course, the beautiful and pristine planet has a sinister way of going about its business.
- The freaky capabilities of Saru's race. They were the prey, what the fuck do the predators look like o.o
- I didn't realize that L'Rell, the female Klingon who was backing the albino Klingon was also the same one that tortured Tyler and was also the same one that just released the Admiral. I wonder what her strategy or end-game really is, she seems like she's playing everybody.
- Klingons seem to have way too much cloaking at this point in time (and don't look remotely human-like for the era <.<)
- Saru feeling the lack of fear for the first time Sad
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:50 am

I haven't given up, I swear! I'm just going to be behind for a while, computer problems (multiple).
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:07 pm

You're in luck! New episodes don't come out until January so you have some time to catch up Lurking/sketchy

S1 E9

Spoiler:

- I dunno man, Burnham insists it's logical for her to be there but then she uses ship schematic GPS to plot out their path on the Klingon ship anyways, I assume there's some commando-level badass on board that could've done that Lurking/sketchy
- Her fight with Kol was pretty cool though.
- And I was nooooooot expecting them to be finished with the Klingon Ship of the Dead stuff so early o.O
- Also, there it is, Tyler's under J'Rell's control or something (totally tortured him for real though, after faking us out with Admiral Cornwall :/)
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:33 pm

Whew!
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:09 pm

Finally getting back to catching up! Not going to be quite there by Sunday's episode, though, but I'm working on it!

S1E7
Spoiler:

-ain't no party like a Discovery party, coz a Discovery party... is 0.0016% more lively than in previous Star Treks...  Uh-oh There's flashing lights and everything!
-Stamets is getting weeiiiiird, not sure being the new tardigrade is good for him. And I like him and the doctor together reasonably well, but they do kind of feel stiff. Nowhere near as much as Burnham and Tyler, though, those two have zero chemistry and I have absolutely no interest in their relationship. Can't wait till he's revealed to be a traitor, that always improves a romance plot!
-the mating habits of the space whale, that was waaaaaay too on the nose
-Mudd?!?
-TIME LOOP EPISODE, FUCK YEAH! Run in circles flail
-I feel like they just use Saru as the Vulcan/Android/etc. rule-stickler most of the time, but you'd think fatal time loops are exactly the kind of thing that would ping his danger Spidey sense, or even if he can't sense something wrong himself, seems like he should pick up on Burnham's reaction.
-They've only got half an hour till it repeats, whyyyyy are they spending this much time dancing and talking about their feelings, priorities, people!
-swallowing the torture-murder-ball, that's pretty badass. Bet she's wishing they'd done it one of the loops where he just used a phaser or something.
-how is the Captain's chair command system non-essential???
-that ending, holy shit, TOS! rofl

Next week (many, many weeks ago), a Saru episode, yay!

That felt almost like an episode of Star Trek! Grin
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:33 am

S1E8 &9
Spoiler:

-Away team and alien contact, feels kinda old-school Trek
-a bit disappointing as far as a Saru character episode, it didn't seem like we got that much meaningful insight into him or that what we got was organic from what happened
-Everyone on this show is so individualistic, just following their hearts all over the place and barely ever thinking about their mission or their actions as part of a larger structure
-kind of confused what's going on with the Klingon scheming, honestly
-why haven't they been getting other people ready to be tardigrade stand-ins, why the fuck would you have the one person with full understanding of the spore drive be the only person doing this critical and apparently dangerous thing, without any monitoring, no less.
-some day all this new tech they've developed can go to exploring strange new worlds and seeking out new civilizations instead of war Shiny/thrilled
-Let me guess, he's gonna pick Burnham for the Klingon field trip
-b/c 10 seconds of seeing the bridge in the middle of a fight gives her irreplaceable knowledge, it's just logical  innocent
-Uh-oh, PTSD rears its head. I feel like it'd have been better storytelling if we'd at least been getting some hints previously instead of totally stable and healthy enough to happily play counselor to other people who haven't been being tortured, and then immediately short-circuiting as soon as triggered. Also, kind of disappointed if it means he's not got something going on with being a spy or anything, his introduction was just too convenient.
-pretty badass fight with the Klingon
-one more jump? Stamets is totally gonna die No
-talking about the happy things he's going to do when all this is over, come on, man, you're signing your death warrant here!
-yay, not quite dead!
-Lost in another dimension or something is a fucking awesome place to start next season (half-season? whatever) Shiny/thrilled

I thought Tyler asking J'Rell what she did to him was just confronting her for the trauma he's experiencing, but I think/hope you're right that it's some kind of control thing, Bomaye

A lot of things on this show feel like they decided what dramatic things they want to see and then just kind of throw in thin excuses to make it happen, and it still doesn't feel 100% Star Trekky to me, but I'm still enjoying it and pretty excited for next season-half! Fingers crossed for lots of boldly going!
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:25 am

Enail wrote:S1E8 &9
Spoiler:

-why haven't they been getting other people ready to be tardigrade stand-ins, why the fuck would you have the one person with full understanding of the spore drive be the only person doing this critical and apparently dangerous thing, without any monitoring, no less.

Spoiler:

Genetic manipulation is illegal because of Khan silent
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:21 pm

Spoiler:
Because this crew is all about rules  innocent
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:01 am

S1 E10

Spoiler:

- Mirror Universe already, whoa, they actually did go there. They're really bowing their load early. Lorca should get along just fine here.
- I like how the only guy apparently qualified to pilot a salvage pod is the head of security
- Yep, Tyler was either radicalized/brainwashed, or he's an altered Klingon (though a routine medical check should've already found it, the guy they found in the TOS Tribbles episode didn't even get past a basic tricorder scan Uh-oh )
- They switched places with Mirror Discovery, thatttt's not good
- "This is my chief engineer." The fucking accent rofl rofl rofl
- I wonder if Stamets and Mirror Stamets switched places or are somehow mentally connected now. He did called Tilly "Captain" during the previous half of the season when he was out of it
- Take fucking notes, guys. Stay out of the Palace, whatever that means, and be careful the enemy is here (IT'S TYLER HE'S RIGHT OVER THERE, GUY)
- I think Michael just gave Tilly the Kamina speech from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. "If you don't believe in yourself, then believe in me, who believes in you, who the hell do you think we are etc."
- Jesus, Lorca, don't you watch pro wrestling? Take some Tylenol and use a razor blade, it works just as effectively to bloody yourself up Uh-oh
- Oh shit, there it is. They covered Tyler's Klingon alteration surgeries and removal of excess Klingon organs by saying he was tortured
- RIP DOC x_x
- That was a badass turbolift fight, and probably won't do wonders for Michael's guilt now that she murdered someone from the Shenzhou for a second time
- I wonder if Tyler's cover is gonna get blown when they run into his alternate universe Klingon self at all (because that's totally gotta happen)
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:51 pm

S1E10:

-MIRROR UNIVERSE!!! Eeeevil Terran Empire!
-why the fuck are they sending Tyler on his own after that PTSD episode?? Why are they sending him specifically at all??
-Faceless emperor? Come on, that's such a dumbass sci fi trope, real emperors put their faces on everything!  Also, I'm putting my bet in now,  Captain Georgiou's going to be the emperor
-I understand now, it wasn't that Troi was useless, it was that everyone on TNG was too damn well-adjusted, she'd have tons to do on this ship! Tons!
-I-is Lorca impersonating Scotty?? Laughing
-So Stamets is an oracle now, I guess. And I bet no one's going to think of his warnings when they decide to infiltrate the faceless emperor's palace
-Oh, look they killed one of the gay couple, how original, I was wondering when that would happen  Disgruntled But also, holy fuck, he's a fucking Klingon with a personality overlay, that's wild! (but turning a klingon into a human seems way harder than just brainwashing a human) But also, at first what I understood from that explanation was that the big reveal was that he used to be taller rofl
-"I'd cut your tongue out and use it to lick my boots." The other captain totally looks like he's into it  Wink wink nudge nudg
-Burnham kicking ass on people she already feels guilty about killing the first time
-the way Tyler asked if she understands after his speech, do you think he was actually codedly trying to tell her what's going on with him? At first I thought it was just a "he's talking about her but really he's talking about himself" thing for the drama, but when he said "do you understand" it had the tone of checking if she got his message.
-well that's nice, they're just going to have a sex break while Lorca's getting tortured in a scream tube? Jerks.

I'm enjoying that they're doing some of the Trek classic tropes instead of being so directly focused on the war plot all the time like they started out with.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:32 pm

My wife just came up with this:
Spoiler:
Tyler's the albino Klingon! L'Rell (is that her name?) was devoted to him, was going to take him to her House, known as 'deceivers,' to get new abilities, and now all of a sudden there's some unknown Klingon that she's in love with and swearing to protect? And we've heard nothing of albino Klingon for aaages. It's suspicious.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:44 pm

Oh shiiiiii

Spoiler:

That would somewhat explain why they took such care to completely alter his features whereas the undercover Klingon in TOS was left Klingon internally.

But would also indicate that the Albino was never meant to return to being Klingon?
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:52 pm

Spoiler:
Maybe they can remove the scar tissue and put the organs back in? Shrug Or maybe they figure it won't really matter once he's destroyed humanity.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:20 am

S1E11

Spoiler:

- Slave Saru Sad
- Hrm, I wonder if Evil Sarek realized that Burnham was from an alternate universe.
- The hints were there when Tyler started backing away from Voq and then attacked him when Burnham was doing all the things, but disguised with the idea that maybe it was just him being freaked out by Klingons
- I thought it was kinda corny how the whole "I love you but ttyl, my brain's going funky" thing went down, but Tyler turning into Voq and speaking Klingon and saying Kahless like Kay-lesh was pretty cool shit
- Part of me wondered if Burnham actually was executing him or if she was secretly hoping he died (out in the abyss, which Tyler said he was scared shitless of as a cadet)
- Part of me also wondered if Stamets was being written off the show because Anthony Rapp outed Kevin Spacey as a sexual assaulter and this was Hollywood doing their thing Uh-oh but it looks like he's sticking around a little longer
- Ha, you called it, Captain Georgiou's the Emperor.
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum