Star Trek: Discovery

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Star Trek: Discovery - Page 3 Empty Re: Star Trek: Discovery

Post by bomaye on Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:40 am

E15

Spoiler:

- Was that Ron Howard making another Star Trek appearance?
- "You have my Phaser!" "And my axe!"
- "Eyyyy, here's a superbomb, your honor-obsessed society will DEFINITELY respect threatening to blow up the entire planet to blackmail yourself into a position of ultimate power."
- And everyone lived happily ever after
- "Detmer, have we cleared the Sol system?" "Ay Captain!" *A fucking planet is still literally flying by on the viewscreen*
- Captain Pike and the Enterprise! Do you think Michael's gonna follow Spock around all day and call him onii-san?
bomaye
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:48 am

Oh, I didn't realize 15 was supposed to be the season-ending episode
bomaye
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:58 pm

Whew, that'll give me a chance to catch up!
Enail
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:55 pm

e13:

-Great, no more Evil Lorca I guess
-Great, way more Evil Georgiou I guess
-Great, guess Stamets is never gonna think about/mention Dr. Hugh again I guess
-Lol as soon as he said "jumped 9 months ahead" I said "aaaand the whole Federation is gone" *high-fives self*

e14:

bomaye wrote:- Legit I was about to start hating on Detmer (the female officer with those robot implants on her face). Every other shot of her is her just giving a silent judgmental look at everyone and every thing. Her mirror counterpart had more characterization.
rofl Yes. The worst
-I think Tilly sitting down with Tyler is the only moment of Star Trek on this show so far
-Mm, super convenient that they magically excised all of Voq except for.. uh.. every single one of his strategically useful memories
-Terraforming a moon for spore bloom =  cool, therefore they were contractually obligated to gloss over it in about 10 seconds and barely show it
-You just see Voq when you look at Tyler? Well now that you've stopped parting your hair, I just see Weyoun's little poodle-top when I look at you, so
bomaye wrote:- Maybe it'll be the running gag of the show that evil people keep getting to be Captain of the Discovery.
Yeah, definitely, this show will totally do something clever and funny like that  Uh-oh
-

e15:

-Oh.. good... Q'onoS Mos Eiseley... cool
-Tilly is one of the only likable people on this show, I'm stunned she hasn't died yet
-Why... is... L'Rell agreeing... to be a Federation puppet
-Why... is... the Federation trusting L'Rell not to just wipe them out with a unified Empire
-Why... is... any of this... oh fuck it who cares at least the miserable Klingon plotline is over (please)
-Oh and... now... uh... let's tack on some tawdry monologue about peace and idealism or whatevs after a season of PEW PEW YEEHAW
-OH GRRRRRRRREAT, here's the ENTERPRISE, let's destroy not only the spirit but the continuity of TOS Smash against wall

Yeah, I think I might straight up hate this show
Werel
Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:50 pm

Werel wrote:
e15:

-OH GRRRRRRRREAT, here's the ENTERPRISE, let's destroy not only the spirit but the continuity of TOS Smash against wall

Spoiler:

Eh? They already said Pike was Captain of it
bomaye
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:13 pm

bomaye wrote:
Werel wrote:
e15:

Spoiler:

Eh? They already said Pike was Captain of it

Spoiler:
Yeah, just not really looking forward to Burnham have some angry yelling matches with Zachary Quinto which Real Spock never mentions again, and/or the Enterprise crew murdering Evil God-Emperor of Mankind, and/or the Enterprise bridge being retconned as a dark blue & gold techno-hellscape, or whatever other dumps they decide to take on Roddenberry's grave  :/
Werel
Werel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:54 pm

I'm having a reeeallly hard time sitting down to watch the last two eps.
Enail
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:59 pm

Stick in there for the dreary little scraps of Starfleet idealism they cram into a brief season-ending monologue that actually subverts the best parts of Federation thinking while pretending to champion it! C'mon, Enail, doesn't that sound FUN?! Shiny/thrilled
Werel
Werel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:11 pm

Sad
Enail
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:19 pm

Werel wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, just not really looking forward to Burnham have some angry yelling matches with Zachary Quinto which Real Spock never mentions again, and/or the Enterprise crew murdering Evil God-Emperor of Mankind, and/or the Enterprise bridge being retconned as a dark blue & gold techno-hellscape, or whatever other dumps they decide to take on Roddenberry's grave  :/

Thing #1

Spoiler:

Deep Space 9 and parts of TNG already shit on Roddenberry's grave. He never wanted dark-anything in Star Trek and the crew were never supposed to have personal issues with each other Wink

Also Mean Gene took credit for everyone else's work, a grave with some shit smeared on it is not totally undeserved Wink

Thing #2

Spoiler:

Star Trek: Discovery - Page 3 Star-Trek-The-Cage-2

What if they have this Spock show up in his sexy drab blue sweater and he smiles all the time
bomaye
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:45 pm

bomaye wrote:
Spoiler:

Deep Space 9 and parts of TNG already shit on Roddenberry's grave. He never wanted dark-anything in Star Trek and the crew were never supposed to have personal issues with each other Wink

Also Mean Gene took credit for everyone else's work, a grave with some shit smeared on it is not totally undeserved Wink
Yeah, true, I'm not into a Roddenberry-purist vision of total conflict-free Star Trek, just one that's not like "heh the Terran Empire kinda has a point guys, let's base all our actions on an assumption of perpetual war"  Disgruntled

bomaye wrote:
Thing #2
Spoiler:

Star Trek: Discovery - Page 3 Star-Trek-The-Cage-2

What if they have this Spock show up in his sexy drab blue sweater and he smiles all the time
Theeeeeen I'll love this show
Werel
Werel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:31 am

Hrm. I guess that was a redux. I haven't watched Orville but I assume it's riffing off of that now?

Spoiler:

I have a hard time taking it seriously when everyone's wise-cracking all the time
bomaye
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:58 pm

Watched the new 4 episodes of The Orville and kinda feel like I've gotten my Shitty 2019 Star Trek fix, barely even motivated to get back to Discovery Uh-oh
Werel
Werel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:04 pm

It was definitely a re-do and they played with the audience expectations a bit (They teased Spock, but then we got Pike instead), but didn't really give a clear idea of what they're trying to do with the show.

It sort of felt like the third season of Enterprise in a way too, like they revealed some sinister mystery was out there but not really what's even going on.
bomaye
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:13 am

This week's ep actually wasn't too bad. They're at least trying to get more philosophical and exploration-based.
bomaye
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:58 pm

Yesterday's episode got back to being silly Disapproving
bomaye
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:14 pm

Yooooo, I appreciate this cameo

Spoiler:

Number One from the TOS Pilot/The Cage, Pike's second-in-command, Majel Barrett's first Star Trek role.

Had entertaining and creative scene on this week's episode too

Spoiler:

Radiation caused everyone on the bridge to start randomly speaking different languages, if you watched with closed captions, they identified each of them because they were speaking real languages  Laughing

In general if you like Saru, you should probably watch this episode. It's probably the most Star Trek-like that Discovery's been so far Lurking/sketchy
bomaye
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR on Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:33 pm

So because my curiosity got the better of me, I've been gradually trying to catch up on season 2, and I'm four and a half episodes in right now. I've been disliking the show from pretty much the beginning, but there's a part of me that still wants to see what they're doing with it.

I mostly just feel emotionally disconnected from the actual story lines at this point, so I can't really muster up much enthusiasm to really try and engage with it. Like, I'm not happy with the fact that they're doubling down on the Burnham-Spock connection this season, but for much of the rest of what's going on, I'm just like, "Okay, whatever, do what you want."

And beyond that, I also cannot seem to stop nitpicking about continuity issues. It's a recurring theme with this show and it just keeps making me angry every time I see it come up. Like, I know it's silly to get this picky about things, but it really does make me feel like the show doesn't respect its source material enough.

A couple rants about my nitpicks from this season so far...

Spoiler:
Don't give me this crap about how Pike prefers good old-fashioned viewscreens over holo-communicators and then tells them to remove the holo-communicators from the Enterprise. That does nothing to fix your continuity issue. You'd be far better off just ignoring the topic altogether and not drawing attention to it. I was totally letting this retcon slide, because sure, it makes sense given the level of technology in the present day that it wouldn't take 350 years to invent holo-communicators. But now you're pretending like it all totally works in context, and no, I'm not buying it for a second.

I was also not all that opposed to you name-dropping Section 31 here and there, since it's been well established that the organization has existed since the founding of the Federation, but show some damn discretion! I'm pretty sure the first rule of Section 31 is that you don't talk about Section 31. You can't just have people go around openly announcing that they're in Section 31, nor can you just have everyone else be like, "Oh, that Section 31. Yeah, I know all about it!"
KMR
KMR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:29 am

I'm up to date except for today's episode

For me, it's one step forward and then one step back. They start doing something interesting and then simplistic writing kicks it back to where it was. Episode 5 made me angry

Spoiler:

With Dr Culber being resurrected, they just completely undid almost all the character development of last season

and Episode 6 was pretty good up until that point where

Spoiler:

Pike and company used the Red Angel signal as an excuse to completely override a world's evolutionary devolpment just because they were being dicks to one of his crewmates. What the fuck? The wouldn't do anything for a captured human settlement because they were pre-warp but they'll reset an entire civilization?

I sort of just watch it like I do the reboot movies, like "Oh let's see what modern Star Trek is doing... it's not my Star Trek, though"

(I do like that they had someone wearing a Geordi La Forge visor in the background at one point)
bomaye
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:25 am

And then there's this week's episode, which I overall really liked. Consistency, guys!

Spoiler:

The Spock mystery got interesting, Sarek is generally one of the highlights of Discovery, some mind-bendy concepts, a little political intrigue with Georgiu and Leland. And we headed back to Talos IV Grin (that's a completely terrible cliffhanger unless you're a Trekky)

It's somewhat funny that we're back on Enterpise's "future people manipulating the past" thing, though.
bomaye
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR on Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:53 am

bomaye wrote:
Spoiler:

Pike and company used the Red Angel signal as an excuse to completely override a world's evolutionary devolpment just because they were being dicks to one of his crewmates. What the fuck? The wouldn't do anything for a captured human settlement because they were pre-warp but they'll reset an entire civilization?

Spoiler:
Pike at the beginning of the episode: "We can stretch General Order One, but let's try not to break it in the process." Hahahahaha!

Oh, but if we don't bring up the Prime Directive right in the moment, maybe no one will notice when we literally do the exact thing it prohibits!

It's like concepts just have no meaning anymore on this show.
KMR
KMR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:42 pm

You guys are not selling me on giving it another try Razz
Enail
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR on Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:29 pm

Tbh, I'm personally in the camp of people saying, "Just watch The Orville instead," because I've really been enjoying that show. It had a shaky start, but it's been improving significantly, and definitely has that feel-good utopian sci-fi vibe (it is a deliberate homage to TNG-style Trek, after all). So as annoyed as I am with Discovery, I hardly even care, because I'm just getting my Trek fix elsewhere.
KMR
KMR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:39 pm

Huh, I'd heard people saying that, but I didn't realize it was quite that seriously a Trek fix. Maybe I'll check it out.
Enail
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:42 am

My cousin's a Star Trek nerd and he seems to be more excited about the Orville than Discovery whenever I see him.
bomaye
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum