Star Trek: Discovery

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Star Trek: Discovery - Page 4 Empty Re: Star Trek: Discovery

Post by bomaye on Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:46 pm

They used classic footage for the "Last Time on Star Trek" segment to play into where they were going Shiny/thrilled

Enail, have a helping of Mary Sue

Spoiler:

The reason Spock is such a logical hard-ass despite being half-human was because Burnham said mean things to him as a child
bomaye
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:16 pm

CRAP! I think I might have accidentally edited your post instead of quoting it! It used to be longer! Sorry!!!
Enail
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:17 pm

bomaye wrote:

Enail, have a helping of Mary Sue

Spoiler:

The reason Spock is such a logical hard-ass despite being half-human was because Burnham said mean things to him as a child

Please find my eyes, they have rolled away and I miss them Sad Also, they might know what I did with the rest of your post Sad
Enail
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:14 pm

RIP My Thoughts ;_;

Last edited by bomaye on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
bomaye
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:55 pm

I'm really sorry!

...Also, someone upvoted me destroying your post Uh-oh
Enail
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:58 pm

Ye that was me. Had a lol

If I remember right:

I really liked that they used footage from the TOS pilot in the "Last time on Star Trek" to inform the new viewer that this shit goes way back

Things I Like

Spoiler:

I liked how Spock and Dr Culber's senses are so out of whack, Spock from having memories of the future because of a mind meld (I hope the Red Angel isn't future Spock and they'll just mind-meld this stuff away) and Culber because even though he has the memories, he doesn't have the feelings and physiological reactions to the things he remembers. Sort of like Amnesia, he's a collection of facts, really interesting

I like the space-squid hiding in the robot crewmember

Things I don't like

Spoiler:

I think both Stamets and Tyler have served their purposes storyline-wise and are being awkwardly shoehorned into other things they don't fit in.

And we've kinda really quickly gotten over what Burnham and Tyler's various actions led to on a galactic scale. Like regular people should still be super-pissed at them and not just like "Oh yeah, it's our crew-members."

Also, I really hate that they brought Dr Culber back at all.
bomaye
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:59 pm

Off-topic, but since we started talking about it here, I watched a few episodes of The Orville, it's definitely more Star Trek than Discovery, but it's held back a bit by the acting, imo, and the everyday life stuff sometimes feels a bit too of this exact moment rather than something in the culture of a different time period, that's been changed by encounters with all kinds of new beings. It's not a bad thing that they take a lighter-hearted attititude and humanize the characters more than the idealistic Star Trek characters, but I lose some suspension of disbelief when they talk so much like some dude at the 7-11. Enjoyable to watch, though, so I'll keep giving it a go.
Enail
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR on Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:39 am

Yeah, the present-day pop-culture references are pretty much always a thing with The Orville, and I also find it takes away from the suspension of disbelief. I really do appreciate the overall humanization of the characters, though. The first few episodes aren't very strong, but the overall quality of the show does improve over time. For one thing, I felt like the moments of humor in the first few episodes always felt forced and jarring compared to the rest of the show, but it starts to feel more organic later on. And season 2 starts focusing more on character development and preserving a sense of continuity, even with the show's episodic format.
KMR
KMR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:15 am

Hey Enail

Spoiler:

Discovery was attacked by giant buzzsaw blades in space that cut up the hull, and they used zero-g as an excuse to have a wuxia kung fu fight.

Millennials were a mistake

So I generally liked the concept of

Spoiler:

A tactical AI recognizing that becoming sentient would help its core function out, even if the outcome of "Oh, I should kill everything in the universe" is a little silly. Also liked how the Sphere played into it again.

Airiam to me was the most interesting crew-member because "why aren't you guys telling us about the robot?" and then they finally did and they killed her off and I'm kinda mad about that but everyone else comes back to life so I'm sure she will too eventually

Though, it kind of occurred to me

Spoiler:

"Beam them back, set photon torpedoes pew pew pew and hooray we blew up the evil AI system."

Like they killed Airiam because they'd rather have their tactical computer back in decently functioning shape.

Also I fucking lol'ed at Admiral Cornwall being all "We sat the Enterprise out because we wanted the best to survive if we lost to the Klingons" and the rest of the Discovery crew is sitting there all "Ha ha, yeah, fuck all of the rest of us."
bomaye
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:24 pm

bomaye wrote:Hey Enail

Spoiler:

Discovery was attacked by giant buzzsaw blades in space that cut up the hull, and they used zero-g as an excuse to have a wuxia kung fu fight.

Millennials were a mistake

Spoiler:
It's possible everyone was a mistake! Disapproving  Though, honestly, to be fair, TOS would have totally had a wuxia kung fu fight if that had been trendy then.
Enail
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:51 pm

Star Trek: Discovery - Page 4 9ce7e349cb3cd0581a0a5c2aab24f585
bomaye
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney on Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:55 pm

Reading through this thread without having seen a lick of the show, Discovery sounds like what happens when a ship is crewed by Starfleet Academy's D students.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:17 pm

Whattttt

Spoiler:

"The Klingons were researching time-travel technology" Whattttt no they weren't, the Klingons don't research

Also Georgiu hitting on Stamets and Culber and them going "I'm gay" and her going "Don't be so binary" is a weird villain moment, like "FUFUFU, you shall now QUESTION YOUR ORIENTATION"

Hey Enail

Spoiler:

Michael's parents were Section 31 superspies who developed a time travel suit that Future Michael used to go back in time and cryptically direct everyone to break the Prime Directive save the universe from evil robots but so Michael tried to kill herself to get her future attention but then her dead mom showed up instead in the suit instead
bomaye
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:53 pm

bomaye wrote:
Spoiler:

Michael's parents were Section 31 superspies who developed a time travel suit that Future Michael used to go back in time and cryptically direct everyone to break the Prime Directive save the universe from evil robots but so Michael tried to kill herself to get her future attention but then her dead mom showed up instead in the suit instead

Spoiler:
A-am I on drugs? Uh-oh

Also, I feel genuinely called out about how much of Burnham's background resembles the self-insert Mary Sue I made when I was 12, I'm constantly simultaneously outraged and cringing (I think mine landed up having to tragically kill the dead mother, but it might have been based on mirror universes rather than time travel.) Actually, now that I think about it, it's weird that I pictured it in TOS time period instead of TNG, I was way more into TNG.  Shrug
Enail
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:32 pm

Lol

Spoiler:

The tactical display shows Enterprise and Discovery encircled by ships and they're like "WE'RE SURROUNDED" and I'm like "Go up or down, guys."
bomaye
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:38 am

Hey Enail

Spoiler:

Michael and Discovery booped out of the present to the far future, but just before Michael left she gave little brother Spock advice that probably led to him becoming broskis with Kirk

Also everyone swore themselves to silence to never talk about Discovery again (just like the rest of us who want to preserve Star Trek for what it was), though Spock did tell everything to his personal log, apparently no one can read diaries in the future

The CGI in the final episode was spectacular, and sorta hilarious because apparently every Federation starship has the potential to have like 8 million little star fighters but they've never used it before.

There was also a pretty cool fight scene

Spoiler:

Where gravity kept fritzing so they'd fall into the wall and then start fistfighting and then fall to the ceiling and start fighting more etc

bomaye
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:03 pm

bomaye wrote:Hey Enail

Spoiler:

Michael and Discovery booped out of the present to the far future, but just before Michael left she gave little brother Spock advice that probably led to him becoming broskis with Kirk

Spoiler:
The sound in my head in reaction to this was just an inarticulate Wookie roar

Spoiler:

Also everyone swore themselves to silence to never talk about Discovery again (just like the rest of us who want to preserve Star Trek for what it was), though Spock did tell everything to his personal log, apparently no one can read diaries in the future

Spoiler:
Hopefully in the future they have cooler things to do than read old diaries (says the person who based a degree on reading old diaries Lurking/sketchy)
Enail
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR on Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:11 pm

All right, I'm finally caught up.

bomaye wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I basically called it that they were going to do this, and I hate being right in this instance.

I've touched on this before, but... As much as I hate the continuity issues in this show, I would at least have some respect if they were willing to own their creative decisions and stick with them. All these contrivances they pull to try and "preserve" the continuity are A) unconvincing and B) feel like a cop out and an excuse for just messing around with things however they want and then hand-waving it away. The more they draw attention to stuff like this, the more they break the suspension of disbelief, like drawing back the curtain on the puppeteers who are manipulating everything behind the scenes.  

The Section 31 stuff in this season is unforgivable, in my mind. This goes way beyond my usual nitpicking. Having Section 31 operate so openly goes against everything the organization was originally conceived to be and simultaneously goes against everything the Federation stands for. I don't understand why they couldn't just have them pretend to be with Starfleet Intelligence and only acknowledge that they're actually Section 31 in private, so that the audience is aware but everyone else is still in the dark. I don't think it would have changed the plot in any fundamental way. My only explanation is that they either didn't think through the broader implications of their decision here or that they just didn't care.
KMR
KMR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:50 am

Spoiler:

Also Tyler and Starfleet seem to proclaim that Section 31 will act with more transparency going forward, except clearly they don't because by the time of DS9, people don't even know they exist again.

I was somewhat going to be okay with the idea of Section 31 getting wiped out in Discovery because it'd be a tidy way to explain why Kirk never bumped into them, but then they put Tyler in charge of it and said the organization is continuing so there went that.
bomaye
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum