Winter Anime 2018

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Re: Winter Anime 2018

Post by bomaye on Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:49 pm

So the city-disaster/monster stuff they previewed on that previous-season episode of Ancient Magus Bride happened in Episode 20. Ended up being super-disappointing to me

Spoiler:

I had gotten a feeling that it was some far-off future thing where a now non-apprentice mage Chise had to keep monster-Elias from running wild on a city but it ended up being one of the dragon kids who had been kidnapped by that evil thing and then it black-gooped into a monster when he tried to sell it at the auction. Chise grabbed him by the back of the neck, absorbed a lot of the dark magic from him, and now she has a kooky giant dragon claw for an arm and is probably gonna die soon and it's like "Eh, I'm not really feeling it."

I'll finish off the last four episodes but if there's a season 2 I'm not gonna end up watching it, I think.
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:55 pm

Kokkoku 7
Spoiler:

-she's just standing there and watching her emaciated still-child brother struggle in an almost speculative way, like she doesn't even know how react at first other than with scientific detachment
-he went right back into Stasis
-aand it hits her and she's bawling like a little kid
-Juri's standing there looking appropriately guilty
-TEAM-UP!
-ultimate bad guy just wants to observe the world for a ridiculously long time and then stop people from using stasis?? That's a weirdly benign goal, even if he wanted to use that knowledge for evil afterwards. Like, that would be pretty much a happy ending for everyone else (except the disciples).
-careful, Takafumi, an average of 2.18 people are killed by vending machines each year!
-why is he shirtless??
-Nooooo, don't pee in the purification fountain!!! No
-oh shit, they didn't hide it well enough!
-woah, near-eternal life through Heraldry!
-And there he goes! Definitely on purpose, imo.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:12 pm

Kokkoku 8

Spoiler:

- "Well, here goes." Cold, Sagawa
- Sagawa just performing calm experiments.
- And that guy gets to live
- Sagawa hulking out to shed his skin
- The father is the worst, leaving money behind and then taking it back when Makoto didn't see x)
- Guess negotiations went wrong, guys
- Wait, did Majima have a power that I forgot about
- Gramps got cut Sad
- Oh shi, they're taking his blood droplets from the sky, they'll use it to activate the Master Stone again
- Hrm, so having Grampa's blood might not matter, but they're not certain
- Oshhiiii, might be kicking him out of stasis (or he has bad gas)
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:53 pm

Kokkoku 8
Spoiler:

-Sagawa calmly explaining the process while methodically killing his disciples and henchman (good call, henchman who joined Majima and the Yukawas! Not that I think his chances of surviving are great either way, but at least he's got a shot this way)
-Poor Grandpa, no matter how many times he says it, no one's gotten it through their heads that he can't control the teleport Laughing
-Oh no, you can't wash your hands in Stasis! Ewwww!
-5:00, enacted the beginning of my master plan by becoming an eternal creature of incredible power, 5:10, slaughtered my followers, 5:30 time to cook dinner! Shrug
-if he's eating to replenish his energy, does that mean that the Handlers only run out of power and shrink because they're not eating to replace the fuel they used?? And eating makes him hulk out. This is all fucking weird.
-Aww, Makoto doesn't want the toy if he has to steal it
-clearly he didn't learn his morals from Takafumi Disapproving
-"I can do it with my wit and my virtue! *dramatic pose*" "oh, do you have to pee?" rofl
-they really should have agreed on a plan for if Majima didn't come out after a while
-why can Sagawa use telekinesis? We never saw the Handlers doing that, did we?
-ohh, you can do things if you think you can. Is Majima able to do that as her Stasis-power, since her eyes went white, or could just anyone do anything if they think they can/have the will to, and the grandpa and Juri just happened to hit on something they were determined enough to do once in a moment of desperation and then b/c they did that specific thing once they think they can do it so they can do it again?
-shit, they're in trouble if they lose Grandpa out of Stasis, he's half their advantage!
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:11 am

Yuru Camp 9

That ep was comfy as fuck
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:05 am

Kokkoku 9

Spoiler:

- Oh shi, the jellyfish is responding to one of the henchmen not wanting to die as he's bleeding out
- The stone itself can be considered a location, that's so fucking cool to think that way
- OH SHIT SHE SMASHED THE STONE
- Which means she might've doomed herself to being stuck in Stasis
- I like that Sagawa knew his partner would immediately turn on him knowing the stone was destroyed, and that his partner actually did it.
- WHOOPS, a new Herald is up and running
- And Makoto seemed to sense it
- Oho, so the Jellyfish can also stop someone in regular time, so Sagawa could conceivably cold-freeze himself and see the far future, I was wondering if the implication from before that someone had written the old texts over a few hundred years more about extending someone's natural lifespan
- "Doesn't he want to conquer the world?" "Nah, dawg, just wants to see it." Such an innocent goal, if murder hadn't been involved they could just fucking help him and be done with it rofl
- But Sagawa still wants to fight because he can learn things from it
- The dad is convincing himself he's Robin Hood rofl
- Huh, why is the Herald attacking him if he doesn't have murderous intent towards the Stalled? Maybe the guy still retains some control like Sagawa, the process isn't complete yet?
- Annnnnd Makoto can control the Heralds, OH BOY
- Juri doesn't believe him because she knows he'd lie anyways rofl
- "... Hey, how do you feel about letting that thing fight Sagawa" rofl
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:21 pm

Ancient Magus Bride 22

They revealed the situation with Chise's mom this ep.

I don't know what it is exactly, but there's something really underwhelming about how they handle these big moments.

(Also Cartiphilus/Joseph switched an eye with each other. As in he plucked his eye out, then plucked her eye out, and the popped her eye into his head and popped his eye into her head)
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:31 pm

wtf??? Not too sorry I dropped that one.

Kokkoku E9
Spoiler:

-the henchman's dying thoughts and then the Specter tendrils start to emerge, that's probably not good
-can't Juri push the Specter back in, if she can push them out?
-holy shit, she broke the stone
-what the fuck was that thing?? Whatever it is, it's squashed.
-and how is she going to get back once she pushes everyone else out of Stasis? She may not have thought this through Uh-oh
-dude was pretty fast to switch sides all of a sudden, not sure he's trustworthy
-okay, she thought it through that far, she just accepted that it sucks for her :/
-what the hell kind of Herald-monster is THAT!!?
-he's actually calling her Princess rofl
-Juri has the same response to Sagawa's plan that I did, if you take out the murdering her family part, just wanting to see to the ends of time for the sake of knowing really doesn't sound like what you expect from a super-villain. I'd be super-pissed off too, knowing that if he'd just bothered to figure out a way to get the stone that didn't involve kidnapping and murder, which doesn't honestly seem like it'd be too hard, he could have gotten his goal without any opposition or hurting her family, or probably even anyone noticing or minding at all. What an asshole!
-meanwhile the dad's still worrying about using the stone to improve their lives and doesn't realize they're being hunted by a being that thinks of them like mosquitoes, he's always on a totally different page from everyone else
-Makoto's power being usable by someone who's carrying him could be a good thing or really not.
-Juri's face when her dad claims it's him who can stop Heralds - she is 100% sure he's bullshitting and she is done with it. I'm thinking those two's relationship is not good.
-so what? he's just going to pretend it's his power, and then be like "let's take the little kid with us into battle, n-no particular reason, just seems like it'd be fun..." Suspect
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:36 pm

Kokkoku 10

Spoiler:

- "This is a great chance to get more influence" Maybe you're not thinking this one out well enough, Papa Lurking/sketchy
- "Saiiiikyoooo?" *Mountain shine* rofl
- Noooo don't tell Makoto that he'll be in trouble if he lets them know that he's controlling everything
- Makoto's reaction is like "Actually, I will be in trouble if they find out" rofl
- Herald on Herald action Nod
- Oh man, hitting the baseball to him just as he was about to ice Juri
- It's pretty much like t-ball because no gravity
- Ouchhhh, broke Majima's arm
- Ohooo, so is Sagawa growing bigger because he wants to or is he losing control to the jellyfish?
- Now he looks like the mummy things they found in the other Heralds, like his body was burned out
- Grosssssssssssss, Zombie Sagawa is eating the body of the other dude who became the Herald
- Now they're both creepy skinny fucks
- He'll give you a lecture, guys
- So what, either young Sagawa is going to discover his dad ran a cult or they're gonna walk in on papa and his buddy's mom sinning
- HEINOUS
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:05 pm

Kokkoku E10
Spoiler:

-jeez, the dad really is prepared to do whatever will make him look good regardless of how it affects their ability to fight or puts Makoto in danger, never mind his daughter and his dad. Disapproving
-holy shit, and telling the kid he'll be in trouble if anyone finds out it's him who's got the power, what a manipulative piece of shit
-also, he's really bad at maintaining a lie, man, if you're going to be a total asshole at least be good at it!
-hitting baseballs at him Laughing
-at least Takafumi runs in front when he's directly gunning for Makoto
-oh, Majima can properly use her power now, though I'm not 100% clear on what she can do, manipulate the laws of physics on objects she's touching or something?
-expecting the kid to kill a person :/
-well that's weird and kind of gross, Sagawa's disappearing under his own over-expanding muscles and bones
-and then all mummified, spindly, bones bending the wrong way Shudder
-shit, he's eating the Handler!
-oh fuckkkk, Makoto feels what's done to it
-the way the shrunken Handler walks is so creepy...but I lol'd when Makoto got scared of it Uh-oh
-offering to let her out of Stasis  :/
-the villain making an offer of something the hero desperately wants is pretty common, but this is the first time I've seen the thing they offer be a lecture Laughing
-"a normal person who couldn't even go insane" ??
-BACKSTORY TIME
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:51 pm

Kokkoku 11

Spoiler:

- "My dad had sex with my friend's mom and then he died 5 years later." The logical progression of a story <_<
- Why would that story bother Jur- oh, acks she's mad
- Man, Juri's pretty hardcore rofl
- And Dad's completely fine with doing it x)
- Multiple times to make sure he's dead
- And the brain just flew away wtf
- GROSSS FINGERS CAME OFF
- Playing with Dad's face rofl
- Make Makoto make the herald dig a mass grave for all the bodies they're hiding, that's kinda fucked
- Whoops, Grampa's too slippery for the sneak attempt to send him back
- Oh hey, this is the same bird-cage move that was used in One Piece
- Huh, I thought Juri would've expelled everyone before attempting to take down Sagawa
- Nah, I'm not seeing the "just like me" part
- Cool, now Juri can be a single mom too!
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:59 pm

Kokkoku E11
Spoiler:

-his dad not practicing what he preached (or, er, practicing things he didn't preach  Wink wink nudge nudg ) shattered his faith and left him at a loss? That was a kind of underwhelming backstory.
-her decision would be a lot more heart wrenching if the characters were more developed
-Ha, I was just thinking while they're hesitating to finish Sagawa off "for once the dad would actually be useful" when he runs in and stabs the guy Laughing
- and they're just like "what's wrong with him that he was so fine with killing??" LOL that possibly shouldn't be one Uh-oh
-EYEBRAIN!!! wtf
-and now he cut off his finger because Sagawa's mass has turned into threads, this is getting weird
-Juri moved fast there, I guess once you've pushed one family member out of stasis it starts to come naturally Shrug
-Makoto sculpting the dad's face while he's in stasis Laughing
-trying to kick grandpa out because she doesn't think she'll be able to do it later Sad
-Aww, and he's not planning to leave Stasis without her, okay, that's pretty touching
-sending Makoto back
-ohshit, he's been weaving the web everywhere without them noticing
-thinking they're alike for "if I hadn't been born into this family I could have been happy" when she's been so unceasingly devoted to protecting them  :/
-the cocoon made him a baby?!
-the resigned expression on Juri's face while she's freeing the baby

I guess next week's probably the finale?
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:17 pm

I assume so, it's only an 8 volume completed manga. No way it goes father than 13 episodes.
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:30 am

So I've been sorta binge-watching B: The Beginning once the whole thing dropped.

I love the sound effects, music, animation budget, voice acting... but it's also anime-as-fuck combined with "Oh hey, we can edgy because we're not on TV!" Like within few minutes of one episode, there's a white-haired boy with goofy face tattoos wearing a girl's skirt skateboarding down the highway while being chased by another boy with black wings and then it shifts to a hacker getting stabbed in the neck and then decapitated (you only see a blood-splatter but you hear the sound of his getting cut off).

Sorta Japan-weird but not inspired, if that makes sense
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:33 pm

I feel exasperated just from the description!
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:54 am

I'm up to episode 8 of B: The Beginning

Great action sequences and liberal use of blood (some Kill Bill person is involved). There's like multiple anime plotlines going on at once (conspiracy shit, murder mystery shit, police detectiving shit, anime battle shit) so I am actually paying more attention to the details than I usually do. And because the animation budget is so high and the voice acting and music is so good, it's not super-hard to want to either.

It's like... really good for copying and pasting together anime tropes, but I consider "great" to be something that you could show a normie with a distaste for anime and go "no, really, I know what you're thinking but give it a chance" and they'll like it and I'm not totally sure this would accomplish that (though maybe some of the bloody violence would get normies of a certain age or inclination).
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:03 pm

Eh, I kept "One more"ing it and then finished it.

There's potential for more layers to be peeled away and things to expand a lot more. It was definitely worth a watch if you're a fan of anime, and it almost starts bordering on "you can safely recommend this to normies, as long as they don't get too grossed out by Kill Bill blood" but then it just can't help but be an anime and you see things like this

and it makes you go "while you were out being cool, I studied the blade Cool (I hope no one catches me watching this)."

If I was like 14 this would probably be the second greatest thing I've ever seen in my life (Devilman Crybaby would be the first).

Last edited by bomaye on Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:57 pm

<mod>If I'm right in assuming "spergs out" is a reference to Asperger's, that's really not an okay term for this forum. Could you take that out, please? Thanks </mod>
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:55 am

Whoops, sorry
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:56 pm

Kokkoku E12/End

Spoiler:

- White suit wants to kill the baby because you never know when Sagawa will remember anything
- And then quickly and easily decides that they're probably right
- Spending six months raising a baby in Stasis, won't they turn into Heralds?
- Wouldn't you just go fucking crazy from the lack of sound?
- I knew she was gonna blast him back when he fell asleep
- The light-hearted guilt about being a thief
- Where is everyone pooping
- Creepy fucking herald still hanging around
- Looked like she was almost ready to send baby-Sagawa back
- Oh, she did
- How is she not batshit crazy living by herself like this
- Now she's just getting drunk by herself rofl
- This is getting sadder and sadder :/
- Eyyyyyyy space dragon?
- Whaaaaat she pulled someone in?
- She just lit a cigarette with a lighter, she has the power to enter and exit stasis (and I guess her husband made the stone in the first place?)
- Oooo, the guy who wrote the book and lived for a long time
- They stayed up and waited for Juri ;_;
- D'awww, little Sagawa's growing up

Overall

Spoiler:

Great concept and exploration of concept, weak characters (maybe so the concept was focused on or more relatable), good ending. It's one of those animes that ruins scales, because in some ways it's really average and other ways it's really good, and in some seasons this would be a middle-tier anime and in a weak season like this, an upper middle-tier
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:45 pm

Kokkoku 12
Spoiler:

-I'm not as convinced as they are that he's just a normal, safe baby now
-Also, Juri has a hugely overdeveloped sense of responsibility, that she's raising the baby herself instead of letting it go to an orphanage, after how it looked like she felt about it last episode
-"I'll have you hurry up and leave my world" my world Side-eye
-Majima trying to give her hope and Juri just slaps her and tells her to shape up
-hey, what was with that winking cartoony cat in the intro, nothing ever came of that?
-Okay, phew, she's sending the baby back eventually
-the pen just frozen in the air when she pauses in writing, I still love those little details
-he agrees he's going to go back at some point Sad  I guess they do age while time's frozen, then, if he's worried about not leaving it till he's too frail
-she sent him back in his sleep anyway Sad
-Caring for a baby all on your own in a frozen world seems incredibly lonely and exhausting
-and then sending him back seems even lonelier
-she's still praying at the shrine, ringing the frozen bell that doesn't properly ring, what a melancholy image  :/
-visiting her frozen family
-She's starting to lose it
-oh shit, the half-dead Handler guy is still following her around
-WHAT THE HELLL IS THAT??
-realizing there's no point to staying sane, and she starts going Handler
-Creepy half-dead Handler guy to the rescue!
-not for long
-ANOTHER PERSON?????>?
-she's the original, and she can just casually send Juri back, this is a suuuuuper weird and cheap thing to bring in out of the blue now
-the lights are on in her house
-And her family's all waiting for her

Overall
Spoiler:
I agree with you mostly, great concept, would have been amazing if they'd put more into the characters, and the ending of her getting slowly more despairing in the frozen world and then the homecoming at the end were both really good, but the deus ex machina of a person who can send her back out of nowhere at the end damaged the ending pretty heavily for me.

ETA: Also, they brought back half-dead Handler guy at the end to snap her out of it, but then they just left it like they forgot about it again, what happened to that guy afterwards??
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:16 pm

Manga's over, so I wonder if it got cancelled/discontinued and that was why we got the quick-ish wrap-up
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum