Spring Anime 2018

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Re: Spring Anime 2018

Post by bomaye on Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Aight, dropped Caligula because it went a little too "anime" for what I would've liked out of the concept.

I think my watch-list is more or less ironed out for this season

Continuations

One Piece
Pokemon
Black Clover
Darling in the Franxx (getting weaker)

New

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Megalo Box
Cutie Honey Universe
Comic Girls
Hinamatsuri
Golden Kamuy
Captain Tsubasa
Gegege no Kitarou

Jury's still out

Wotaku (it's like... a show about otaku but you would almost never know it with how little otaku stuff is part of the story. I'm assuming that's coming later)

Generic, can drop them at any time but they do just enough that I'll probably keep them

Grancrest Senki (continuing, it's shockingly violent for how generic it is and that always draws me back in)
Dances With The Dragons (I'm hoping for more dragons)
Jushinki Pandora (Mecha AND Giant monsters is a decent way to get me hanging around if it's generic)
Devils Line (sometimes it's too Twilight but other times it's very Tokyo Ghoul with anime-japan)

(Also like 8 others that I'm hoarding for later if I watch their various series Lurking/sketchy )
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:37 pm

Golden Kamuy 02

Spoiler:

- The squirrel traps, I really like how they intricately explain how these Ainu people did things
- Old-guy sure admiring the dude's scarred and bullet-holed body
- BRUUUUUTAL they squirrel-trapped the guy tailing them
- He fucking does the wobbling pencil trick rofl rofl rofl
- OH SHIT HEADSHOT OUT OF NOWHERE
- Using his bayonet/knife-end to balance his rifle when he shoots long-range Nod
- Squirrel traps are good for everything
- "Nah, I'm doing it for the girl I love" then the soldier lunges at him to kill him because the line was so bad Laughing
- EYE POKE
- RIFLE BUTT INTO THE BACK OF THE HEAD AND THE FALLS OFF A CLIFF rofl rofl rofl
- Come on guys, you don't see the body so obviously he escaped
- You can take off the pelt like it was clothing Ewwww!
- This immortal soldier of violence is worried about eating raw squirrel
- Master Escape Artist
- Shattering tree-trunks because it's so cold
- They get wet and now they don't even care about killing each other, they just need fucking WARMTH Laughing
- BRUTAL, he dove back in
- Oh man, this fool was was storing a bullet (in his stomach? Ewwww! )
- They're so fucking happy the the fire started rofl
- A goddamn Samurai from the old Shogunate/Shinsengumi [I've now watched so much anime that I sort of know what they're talking about w/ the Meiji Restoration/old Shogunate 🤓 )
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:47 pm

Ha, the first 10 mins of Wotaku ep 2 were a lot better. How they both talk about dating, holy shit rofl

Spoiler:

Ofc the gamer guy compares her to a mythical Pokemon always escaping and compares the situation to a dating sim, and the cosplayer friend calls him "prime real estate" rofl

Attempting to run like it was an RPG rofl

And the fucking two nerds were volleyball players who fight fierce battles with each other holy shit just fuck already rofl

"He didn't say that" NICE

"Let me explain. It's exactly what you're thinking." THEY'RE ALREADY FUCKING rofl
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:21 pm

Hinamatsuri 3

The first half of the ep is a heartwarming story about homeless people sticking together, but the real joy was the second half when the studious middle school bartender has her homeroom teacher accidentally show up at her bar rofl
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Golden Kamuy 2
Spoiler:

-all those scars and bullet holes
-The guy being like "you're Ainu, guess I'll sell you," the casualness of it is so disturbing, like it's no bigger thing than finding a few coins on the ground.
-it's not the most gorgeous show ever, but I'm enjoying the mix of nature and historic city settings
-fucking person-sized squirrel trap
-that she thinks pencils are cool is a cool historical moment
-and then he does the bendy pencil optical illusion rofl
-"women loved him b/c he was good with his hands" went in a different direction from what I was expecting  Wink wink nudge nudg
-stopping in the middle of the fight to give us a history lesson
-the way they're using squirrel traps like mad, the way the soldier just breaks his neck in a fall into a ravine, I like the way it feels like even the action scenes feel deeply based in the setting, Hokkaido feels like a force of its own rather than just a background to provide props for fighting with
-"there's one way I learned not to die. Don't get killed"  I guess
-glaring him into eating the raw squirrel brain Laughing
-Ainu food lesson!
-guess he didn't break his neck after all. Thanks for nothing, Hokkaido scenery! Disapproving
-escape artist!
-the shattering trees Shiny/thrilled This show is so educational!
-going back into the icy water to find his bullets
-And then Escape Artist coughs one up
-their relief at the fire
-what the fuck is with that face plate, he's like a vertical Phantom of the Opera
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:21 pm

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 3
Spoiler:

-the history stuff is pretty generic
-artificial eyes, so the future does have something futuristic other than spaceships, I was beginning to wonder
-Inferior Genes Exclusion Act, I see they're going full-on Nazi with the previous Emperor
-it's always a little disappointing in shows where the side characters have slightly more distinctive features that they keep the main characters in totally generic anime style, it's rare to get main characters in super-pretty anime style but still with a touch more personality in their appearances
-Ridiculously Pretty Young Men Being Intrigued/Impressed by Other Ridiculously Pretty Young Men: The Series
-oh look, women do exist in the future  innocent
-the blond eyelashes look weird
-Ridiculously Pretty Young Men Being Shirtless Together with Other Ridiculously Pretty Young Men: The Series
-they're nobles in this super-fancy, hierarchical society, and the sister still has to do laundry? I guess the future doesn't have servants or domestic chore robots
-and women get sold off to the emperor. This future is fun.
-man, this show is 25% "here's a different cool uniform!"
-evil rich kids. I'm beginning to think they're setting it up for Reinhardt and Kircheis to switch sides eventually.
-the statue of the evil emperor having cameras in the eyes was a fucking cool idea
-the sister is so incredibly bland
-pretty blond guy wants to be the emperor and own the universe with quiet friend at his side, does the future have eclipses Uh-oh

This episode was pretty meh. I like the direction of him having a potentially dark or reckless ambition that at some point his friend may have to stand against, but the setting feels like it's been done a million times and when there's no space strategy stuff going on the story and character development is really generic. I'm losing interest a fair bit.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:34 pm

>That feel when Enail watches something before you do

Snail
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:12 pm

Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:38 pm

Golden Kamuy 3

Spoiler:

- I like how the show is half "Ainu cooking recipes" Laughing
- And how she thinks all Japanese are shit-eaters rofl
- Bear-traps/bear hunting Shiny/thrilled
- Immortal Sugimoto B)
- Arigato, scary extinct wolf Grin
- "It's Immortal Sugimoto" *badass soldiers suddenly get worried and all point their rifles at him*
- Oh god, he's luring out a bear
- "What if he dies." "He's Immortal, he won't die."
- OH FUCK BEAR MAULING AND ACCIDENTAL SHOOTING
- Good wolf
- God damn, is half that guy's face hanging off while he's shooting the bear?
- Little bear buddy becomes a party member Grin
- Soldier with messed up leg becomes a party member Grin
- She's acting like a parent who just found out their kid brought home a stray animal rofl
- Oh boyyyy, let's go hang out in the village so we can raise our baby bear Grin
- "Look at this tattoo!" as she's yanking on her grandmother's face
- Welp, shoulda let the wolf eat the solider, now he wants the wolf pelt
- Grandma is asking Sugimoto to take her as his wife so she can die peacefully rofl rofl rofl
- They give them gross names to ward off demons and then when they grow old enough, they give them names based off of their personality, d'awwwww
- Mannnn, this belief system Feeling loved
- A defiant Ainu girl for a new era
- Whoops, didn't notice that the main bad guy of the soldiers is our collective favourite voice actor Shiny/thrilled
- A fragment of his skull got blown off and sometimes it leaks, FUCK
- BIT OFF HIS FINGER
- And blames it on some of his brain missing, god damn
- Did the Undefeated just throw the woman at the Shinsengumi guy?
- And he's gathering a crew to fight the soldiers too Nod
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:10 am

Galactic Heroes 3

Spoiler:

- Nazi-style political takeover, American style rise of a new freedom state, 150 years of war awww yeahhh
- That's quite the promotion
- And he gets a royal Recorder to play flutey music on
- Inferior Genes Exclusion Act, but his space eyes lit up for Reinhard's gay boyfriend
- A romantic walk through the hedgemaze as they recall their childhood of loving flowers and each other
- So the anger in his eyes when his sister is sold off to the Kaiser. Reminded me of Casval Rem Deikun recognizing that he would never see his mother again and his resulting feelings of revenge lead to him joining the military that he hated and becoming Char Aznable in Gundam and causing massive problems for the Earth Sphere for decades afterwards. Body's ready for Reinhard to ruin the universe Lurking/sketchy
- Even the Statue has hidden cameras in it
- "Hey, look after my little brother, he's a bit nuts."
- Cuts to Reinhard proclaiming that he's going to take over the entire universe while in front of said statue camera

Enail wrote:Legend of the Galactic Heroes 3
Spoiler:

This episode was pretty meh. I like the direction of him having a potentially dark or reckless ambition that at some point his friend may have to stand against, but the setting feels like it's been done a million times and when there's no space strategy stuff going on the story and character development is really generic. I'm losing interest a fair bit.

Spoiler:

I actually got a different feeling, that Sieg was going to back up Reinhard no matter what, and that's ultimately going to cost them the Empire and the war because Yang Wen-Li is just a slightly better tactician.
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:08 am

bomaye wrote:Galactic Heroes 3
Spoiler:

I actually got a different feeling, that Sieg was going to back up Reinhard no matter what, and that's ultimately going to cost them the Empire and the war because Yang Wen-Li is just a slightly better tactician.

Spoiler:
I could see it going either way on that, but I felt like they were setting it up for Sieg and possibly even Reinhard to have to make a choice on that eventually, confronting the realization that their side ought to be the bad guys and either choosing to believe Reinhard will magically fix all that when he becomes supreme despot, or having to change sides, or even (for Sieg) outright admitting to himself that he's on the wrong side but still sticking with it for Reinhard.  
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:50 pm

There was a completely correct Donkey Kong Country 2 reference in Wotaku.

This must be what joy feels like Heart
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:17 pm

Galactic Heroes 4

Spoiler:

Slow. It was okay seeing Wen-Li as an tactical genius who just wants to read some history books, and it's kinda messed up how the Free Planets thing will try to set up war orphans to be soldiers to guarantee an army. But mostly it was just "let's plant a million death flags for the friend and the woman"
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Wed May 02, 2018 5:43 pm

Golden Kamuy 3
Spoiler:

-More cultural exchange/Ainu cooking show!
-her unconvinced expression while he's eating the miso she still thinks is poop Laughing
-He says "hinna hinna" and she tells him to shut up rofl
-"I'm Immortal Sugimoto!" it's cheesy, but it kind of makes me Shiny/thrilled every time
-"the man I was with puts poop in his food and eats it" rofl
-Wolf friend to the rescue!
-they shoot for a guy, get an angry bear instead
-GOD, the solder's face hanging off his body Shudder
-Sugimoto gets all his attackers killed and an adorable animal companion out of the whole deal, not too bad for desperately running into a bear den. Moral of this show: the Ainu know what they're talking about
-rubbing the wolf's tummy, that's adorable
-how long does he think he's going to be able to hide a bear cub in his shirt from her?
-three seconds Laughing
-I guess she lied and said the soldier was dead so he wouldn't kill him. I'm sure that's going to come back to bite them later
-their whole exchange about the bear cub rofl
-the grandmother wanting him to marry her because she won't be able to marry an Ainu man is kind of sad-feeling, the way she's a little apart from her own culture even though she's so proud of it too
-they're going to kill the bear Sad Sad Sad
-but it's sending it back to tell the gods the human world is fun
-the belief is right based on if the way of life is right because they're inseparable
-"I'm an Ainu girl for a new era"
-that soldier's still functioning with half his face gone, jeez
-holy fuck he bit his superior's finger off
-someone who's smart enough to realize you can just copy the tattoos and piece them back together, finally!

Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Wed May 02, 2018 5:46 pm

We have a collective favourite voice actor??
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Wed May 02, 2018 5:52 pm

We sure do!
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Wed May 02, 2018 6:40 pm

Aye-aye captain!
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Thu May 03, 2018 9:47 am

Golden Kamuy 4

Spoiler:

- Forgot his knife and bayonet, that seems worrisome
- Traps Grin
- Demon-haunted gold, oh boy
- Kids these days :nono:
- An Ainu beating stick
- An Ainu scaring-children stick
- They walked away rofl
- This village is totally getting deathflagged
- Awww, she didn't want her wolf to go Sad
- Gourmet Sugimoto
- DROPKICK rofl
- His men busts his nose and threatens to kill him, but let's eat some sweets and gourmet-nerd over them
- OH FUCK TOOTHPICK THROUGH THE CHEEKS FUCK
- The wolf's face after smelling one of Sugimoto's socks rofl
- Oh nice, an armed rebellion
- The wolf bites the escape king's head rofl
- Her face when they had the wrong socks holy shit rofl
- Escape King isn't washing his face, girl and wolf
- This is some Assassin's Creed shit right here
- Did he just flip himself in a chair holy shit Laughing
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sat May 05, 2018 2:36 pm

Galactic Heroes 4
Spoiler:

-So now we're getting the other dude's backstory. At least this one involves space a little.
-Poor Yang, nicknamed based on having no belongings Sad
-Every main character gets one (1) backstory episode, which must contain one (1) male friend and one (1)woman and one (1) not particularly well-developed setting
-Wow, no one's ever suggested that people who support evil are themselves complicit before, how original and deep. innocent I hate it when shows need to show how uniquely smart/deep/filled with sincere enthusiasm a character is but aren't good enough writers to actually come up with something smart/deep/filled with sincere enthusiasm for them to say so just have them say a really generic truism and make all the other characters super-impressed by it.
-the strategy falls into the "space is 2d" trap a bit if they rely that much on displays that aren't even 3d to track the forces
-the town is apparently in Japan of another planet
-PIIIIIGS IIIIIIIN SPAAAAAACE
-why is there a random little girl running around giving coffee to soldiers?
-they've got the forward-looking guy who wants to break free of stuffy history in the stuffy history empire and the history-loving guy in the modern rebellion, they might not be so brilliant if they switched sides and were surrounded by people who thought more similarly
-I'm beginning to suspect this Jean guy is doomed
-He's finally gotten some boxes of belongings!
-Forgiving the adoptive parents' loan if the kid becomes a soldier is a hell of a way to apply parental guilt-pressure to the enlistment effort.  But is a single soldier enlisted in an active war really going to be around enough even to take an apprentice, let alone serve as childcare? Uh-oh
-They got engaged? Yep, Jean's doomed
-they sent him an orphan unasked-for???

I'm really finding this show dragging without the space battle stuff, the characters feel really stock when you focus on them this much, and the backstories are so generic and the world isn't very well thought out-feeling. I think I've got one more episode in me before I give up if it doesn't pick up, maybe 2 at most.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sat May 05, 2018 3:16 pm

Enail wrote:Galactic Heroes 4
Spoiler:

-Wow, no one's ever suggested that people who support evil are themselves complicit before, how original and deep. innocent I hate it when shows need to show how uniquely smart/deep/filled with sincere enthusiasm a character is but aren't good enough writers to actually come up with something smart/deep/filled with sincere enthusiasm for them to say so just have them say a really generic truism and make all the other characters super-impressed by it.

Note!: This was a novel from the 1980s, so it probably was original and deep thinking back then :p
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sat May 05, 2018 4:47 pm

Spoiler:
That's a subject that was pretty heavily discussed for decades after WWII, at the minimum. I think it's just plain old lazy writing Razz
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sat May 05, 2018 4:52 pm

Spoiler:

...Was it discussed in Japan? Following the leader for the sake of everyone around you is their entire culture, and there was a reluctance to admit fault for atrocities even after WWII
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sat May 05, 2018 5:42 pm

Spoiler:
There was, but it was still a thing people were dealing with and trying to understand in various ways. The discussion wasn't totally the same as in the West, but it was certainly happening. Barefoot Gen deals with a lot of that kind of theme on a personal level, and that was published in the 70s, frex.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sun May 06, 2018 4:47 pm

Golden Kamuy 4
Spoiler:

-honestly, I'd be pretty happy just watching them hang about, teaching us about Ainu culture and raising a bear cub (while trying not to get too attached  Sad ). I'm not even sure why it's all so likeable, but damnit, it is!
-the grandmother's watching him like "ganbaru, future grandson, learning about our culture"
-he got the grandmother to take the miso and she's going after him with a punishment stick rofl
-all the children sobbing when she does the scary stick rofl
-I think it's not just the grandmother, the show's shipping them, too
-Asirpa trying to keep her wolf friend from going Sad
-How can he sneak off in the night after hearing that story? Disapproving
-man, I love that ink splotch eye-catch
-going to look for him so she can hit him with her stick Laughing
-Retar looking down at her from the peak
-he says the food is hinna even though she's not around  Feeling loved
-why are the bad guys' eyes like that??
-ohshit, missing face guy
-pleasantly eating sweets togther
-wait, the guy with the metal plate isn't the same as the guy who lost his face?? But he's got no skin around his eyes, or is that just scarring?? So what happened to that guy?? I'm confused now
-FUUUUUUUUCK
-ugh, I feel slightly sick just seeing the skewer through his face even though it's animated and they're not really emphasizing the grossness or anything
-those finger-chopping teeth Shudder
-the wolf's face at Sugimoto's stinky sock Laughing
-the way he's talking with his mouth skewered shut
-oh god don't show us that
-her face about them switching socks rofl
-his badass chair flip Shiny/thrilled
-don't stop there, he's got a knife in his chest!!!
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Sun May 06, 2018 4:58 pm

Enail wrote:Golden Kamuy 4
Spoiler:

-wait, the guy with the metal plate isn't the same as the guy who lost his face?? But he's got no skin around his eyes, or is that just scarring?? So what happened to that guy?? I'm confused now

Spoiler:

It's the same guy.

Spoiler:

-ugh, I feel slightly sick just seeing the skewer through his face even though it's animated and they're not really emphasizing the grossness or anything

Spoiler:

It's also weird because that's a piercing you can get and arguably a very easy and non-damaging wound to heal, but at the same time it's like "COME ON MAN Ewwww! "

Galactic Heroes 5

Spoiler:

- They got Yang a war orphan so the kid can raise him Laughing
- Yepppp, propaganda and then Yang sitting down and then "you sure talk tough for someone not dying on the front lines" and then "NOT PATRIOTI- OH GOD WHO TURNED ON THE SPRINKLERS" but it sounds like we're getting back to space battles the next time at least Nod
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum