Golden Kamuy (Anime)

Go down

Golden Kamuy (Anime)

Post by bomaye on Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:45 pm

Do you like delicious ethnic cooking? Do you like tension? Do you like learning about new cultures? Do you like historical dramas? Do you like American Westerns but without the "American" or "Western" part? Do you like creative violence? Do you like animals?

Golden Kamuy (currently one 12 episode season exists, a second second is set to start two weeks from now) is a story set in the snow-fields of Hokkaido/northern Japan after the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-05. Freshly returned from the front lines, Saichi Sugimoto, nicknamed "Immortal Sugimoto" for his seemingly demonic ability to not die no matter how brutal the fighting got, is trying to panhandle for gold to raise money to take his deceased best friend's widow to a doctor in America when he hears a strange tale of a secret map to stolen Ainu gold and sets off on a journey with Asirpa, an indigenous Ainu girl who's bucking the traditions of her people by acting more like a male Ainu does, and who's looking to recover her people's gold as her father was one of the people murdered when it was first stolen.

I'm trying to keep the description light because this shit is ridiculously unpredictable and a wild ride and the less you know about it beforehand, the better. But also interspersed between all of the ridiculous plot twists and tense moments, you'll also learn a lot about the Ainu people, their traditions, cooking style, hunting tricks, and why they name their children "Poop."

Also worst bear CGI you've ever seen in your life.
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Golden Kamuy (Anime)

Post by Enail on Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:55 pm

Yay! Run in circles flail This is a good one, really funny and great action and unexpectedly poignant, y'all should join the ride!
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:25 pm

Ahhh okay funny + poignant + Indigenous cultural education = I’ll bite, maybe I can even get caught up before season 2! Run in circles flail
Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:31 pm

Me and Enail posted our episode thoughts for the first season in this thread
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hielario on Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:40 am

Every time I hear about this, it'like someone took an old-timey adventure novel and adapted it to anime.
Hielario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:18 pm

Watched the first two episodes and I'm definitely enjoying it. The bear lore is super interesting (can't eat bears who've eaten humans and the bad bears who don't hibernate Shiny/thrilled), I really like the matter-of-factness of the violence and slightly gory stuff like skinning (it's neither glorified nor tragic, just... how shit goes), and the historical context is served up in a really enjoyable way (not IN YOUR FACE EDUCATIONAL, but you learn a ton organically). Looking forward to watching more.

It's still crazy to me that Japan has a popular anime sympathetic to Ainu people in 2018 when they didn't even officially acknowledge the Ainu until 2008.
Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:15 pm

E13

GOD DAMN

Spoiler:

- Comfy spring snacks
- Just the man you want to see at your door when you live in the middle of nowhere
- NEKO-CHANNNNN
- Is Tsurumi going to kill everyone?
- Ohhh it's the gravedigger from the last episode
- Using human skins to create clothes Neutral
- What the FUCK
- He's fucking crazy
- WHAT IS HE WEARING
- "PLATE-FOR-BRAINS" rofl
- AND TSURUMI IS FEEDING INTO IT
- What
- The
- FUCK
- Am
- I
- Watching
- And now he's telling him to shoot his dead mom's taxidermied corpse in the head and she's shrieking as if she's alive
- All to get him to make fake skins to screw up everyone else looking for skins. What the fuck, man?
- Sniper-kun knows that Nopperabo is probably Ainu from how the stolen gold/kills occurred
- Ohohohoooo, so Hijikata is assuming Nopperabo is not necessarily an Ainu but a Russian "partisan" looking to raise funds to help take over Russia. And Asirpa's uncle did say he was Russian
- That dream with Nopperabo having a scar face
- D'awwww Tanigaki has gone (back to being) native
- And now he's got a little Kohai who reminds him of him Nod
- AND HIS NAME IS BONER
- Go away Fortune-Teller Lady
- D'awwww little Poop has a crush on Tanigaki
- Annnnd of course this woman is a double agent (but she has a thing for men with scars, we just saw that Nopperabo has a scar, so she's totally betraying Tsurumi at some point too)
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:38 pm

E13
Spoiler:

-spring in the forest Shiny/thrilled
-taxidermy? this isn't going to go anywhere good, is it
-the cat is somehow the creepiest OH WHEW, IT'S ALIVE
-goddamn, I've forgotten everyone's names other than the main 3
-why aren't they showing us the mother, there's something suspicious going on there
-oh god, all those people are taxidermied aren't they
-he likes the hand glove sick Of course he does
-at least one of the taxidermied people is giving good advice, I guess?
-the one that was giving good advice says to stuff and mount him. DAMNIT, I TRUSTED YOU, BALD TAXIDERMIED GUY!!
-WHAT THE FUCK THAT MASK
-he starts sparkling when he reveals his tattoo-skin shirt Laughing this show is so fucked up, why are all the murderers so weirdly sexual
-WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK
-and the other soldier's looking for an ear match rofl
-WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK IS THIS SHOW?? I'm laughing hard enough to be on the verge of tears while my mouth and nose are making a face of disgust and my eyebrows are saying "what the fuck?!"
-fake tattoos, Lt. Tsurumi is a genius
-delicious Ainu food! I've missed this show Happy tears
-her "new kind of Ainu woman" idea came from her dad :/
-Come on, don't cut off there, what does she have to remember?? Or at least give us a better look at his face!
-Tanigaki likes the kid because he's interested in hunting and his name means "boner," making him just like the hunter-guy he worked with before, it's adorable but also weird
-I'm super-mad that the fortune-teller's come to invade Asirpa's village
-...she's warning about one of them being a traitor? What's her angle here? I don't buy that she's just trying to help Asirpa (and which traitor does she know about?)
-Osoma's angry crying face rofl
-All this time, I thought Osoma was a boy!
-ohhh, she's with Tsurumi, good thinking, Tsurumi. But is Fox-lady going double-agent here, or triple-agent?
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:24 pm

E14

My brain just got melted down

Spoiler:

- What the fuck is he WEARI- HE MADE A TSURUMI
- Half the new opening is a comfy cooking anime and suddenly the fucking freakshow starts rofl
- SNIPER-KUN IN THE HOUSE
- And he's not phased at all by the freaky shit
- Awriiight gunfight between Sniper and the other guy
- EDOGAI IS ESCAPING DRESSED AS A BEAR
- Shiraishi is such a bad actor
- Dear god that bag sick
- And of course, it's a goddamn mine cart chase
- That Shiraishi wall-run after he almost split
- DYNAMITE RIP EVERYONE
- RIP, Edogai, you were the freakiest
- YOSHHHH IMMORTAL SUGIMOTO DOESN'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT LACK OF OXYGEN
- HOLY SHIT WHERE THE FUCK DID USHIYAMA COME FROM
- She still has the fishcake rofl
- Hooray, the true face-to-face meeting of an undisguised Hijiikata Toshizou and Immortal Sugimoto
- And Hijiikata plays along with Shiraishi playing dumb
- And Sniper-kun transfixed on Asirpa about to mention "My father", this guy is gonna make a move of his own soon
- The belly rumbling ruins the mood, remember at least 1/3rd of this is a cooking anime rofl
- WHY ARE THEY EATING LUNCH WITH TAXIDERM- OH MY FUCKING GOD THE LAST SUPPER
- rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
- We're done, anime can't top this
- (Sugimoto as St Peter, keeper of the Gates of Heaven, Shiraishi The Escape King is in the spot of the only apostle who dies of natural causes. Asirpa's uncle is in Judas' spot. Hijiikata is Simon the Zealot. This is more than just "let's make a goofy reference")
- Sugimoto even saying Sniper's gonna turn on everyone
- "No fighting during lunch" rofl
- Tsurumi smelling the fake skins
- And that's tricky fucking business as a way to disguise the skins
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: