NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nails!

+2
eselle28
kath
6 posters

Go down

Nails! Empty Nails!

Post by kath Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:41 am

I wanted to make a topic about nails! I know eselle does hers, and Marty does too.

I have pretty bendy natural nails, and have the "must pick at all the things" compulsion, so since my natural nails can't stand up to anything I pick or bite them off. If they grow at all they are useless for all tasks, they just bend, which feels really, really, really weird.

About a year I got a gel manicure and I could leave those on and not pull them off! Yay!

So I bought a bunch of IBD gel products and a UV light, because I must DIY all the things. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten the hang of doing gels  such that they adhere well enough that they don't lift a bit, and then I pick them off, which of course is really bad for my nails. I have also tried doing acrylics and had the same problem where they lift and I pull them off.

About a month ago I got a set of acrylics done professionally and they have stayed on pretty well. I've lost four of them (I redid them myself with a similar colour), and I think when I lose 5 I will take them all off with acetone and either redo them myself, or schedule a professional full set.

I want to know if anyone else here has gone as far down the rabbit hole with DIY gels or acrylics and has tips for preventing lifting?

The reasons I would still like to do it DIY is:

• It's fun
  • It's cheaper
  • I have a bunch of mica pigments I use for makeup that I can also use as nail colours.
  • I could do crazy cool fun things.

But it's probably really really bad for my already thin nails to keep DIYing and picking at them.

So, er - tips for DIY? advice to just suck it up and get them done professionally on a regular basis? (Or not worry about biting my nails I guess?)

What are your favourite nail things to do?
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Nails! Empty Re: Nails!

Post by eselle28 Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:16 am

Hey kath!

I also have very thin, breakable nails. I've never tried to have long ones because of job responsibilities, but I've often worried about breakages along my nails like this (ignore the hangnail, which I've trimmed by now, check out the other stuff):

Nails! 10wlao4

These days, I live in a town where a mani/pedi runs around $80 and requires advance booking, so I tend to do my own nails. Maybe I need to use better polish remover? I've had professionally done acrylics once prior to a holiday period, but that was long enough ago (2004ish?) that things might not be the same as they are now. I remember them as being very pretty, and leaving nails that looked a bit strip mined when they were removed. Like you, I also bite (and...sort of peel at?...that's way more the problem than biting) my nails, so I'm up for anything that doesn't involve me either damaging them further or taking couple month hiatuses like I have been.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:53 am

I do my own nails regularly, but I don't do anything special beyond just nail polish. I really like to paint my nails and always have polish on. Here's a pic of my current nails:

Nails! 2jethcy

Before I started doing my nails, I used to also have brittle nails that would break constantly. My manicurist recommended a product called Rejuvacote and I started using it as a base coat and top coat. Nowadays my nails are much stronger and almost never break. I think some nail polish removers are also designed to help strengthen brittle nails.
KMR
KMR

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:17 pm

I very rarely get manicures or do my nails (though I'm very lucky, my city has an Aveda school, where stylists-in-training do professional manicures for as little as $15.) To answer your question from the other thread, Eselle, tearing off the Jamberry's didn't hurt my nails at all. They're essentially like stickers. I've worn them for 2 out of 4 weeks, and didn't notice any difference to the quality of my nails.
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by celette482 Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:21 pm

So... I got gels for my wedding and now I can't get rid of them. Biggest problem is that one, my middle finger on my right hand, fell off a long time ago.

Anyone have tips? I just moved to the middle of damn nowhere and don't have a good reliable beauty place yet (I'm also thinking about getting a new post-wedding haircut and have the same problem)
celette482
celette482

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:00 am

Celette - congrats on your wedding!

One thing you can do is basically just file it down until there's no gel, or there's not much gel so it's not very different looking from your natural nails. You don't want to file your natural nail a lot, but a thin coat of leftover gel will look like nothing and you can just trim your nails like normal.

Here's a video that's for builder gel (really thick, quite possibly what you had from your wedding):

kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by OtherRoooToo Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:57 pm

celette482 wrote:So... I got gels for my wedding and now I can't get rid of them. Biggest problem is that one, my middle finger on my right hand, fell off a long time ago.

Anyone have tips? I just moved to the middle of damn nowhere and don't have a good reliable beauty place yet (I'm also thinking about getting a new post-wedding haircut and have the same problem)

I'm not sure where you are physically and this may be a bit urban-centric, but you might Google for a Bliss close by. They can do a good job of soaking them off for you, if you have to have them all off right now.

OtherRoooToo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum