[DISC] Gate-Keeping [split from Discomfort with "Male Tears"]

Go down

[DISC] Gate-Keeping [split from Discomfort with "Male Tears"] Empty [DISC] Gate-Keeping [split from Discomfort with "Male Tears"]

Post by azazel on Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:00 pm

fakely mctest wrote:

Cosigned.  In social movements and groups there are places that aren't for you if you're not a member of that group and I'd say that sometimes dark humor is used to delineate those boundaries to an extent.  And, yes, those spaces may be defended in a way that some people find off-putting, which is a feature not a bug.  It's a reaction to the fact that in the larger societal space there are tons of places where people in out-groups are unwelcome.

So... gatekeeping is good.

Huh.

azazel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

[DISC] Gate-Keeping [split from Discomfort with "Male Tears"] Empty [DISC] Gate-Keeping

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:09 pm

azazel wrote:So... gatekeeping is good.
If by "gatekeeping", you mean "having spaces where privileged people don't get to plunge in and make it all about them and then whine about their precious feelings when the under-privileged want to carry on with the discussion", then yes, I'm all for it.

Back to top Go down

[DISC] Gate-Keeping [split from Discomfort with "Male Tears"] Empty Re: [DISC] Gate-Keeping [split from Discomfort with "Male Tears"]

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:33 pm

By the way, I'm aware that isn't usually how gate-keeping is used. It's usually used in the negative connotation that I guess azazel means (happy to correct if not BTW), as in the in-group deciding to deny membership on the basis of some discriminatory standard, e.g. TERF's deciding that trans women can't be feminists because they're not "really" women. (Teeth... gnashing... commencing)

I see that as diametrically opposite to the phenomenon we're describing, of oppressed groups not wanting their safe spaces to be taken over by those who have unwittingly benefited from that oppression. I think it's totally reasonable, as a white person, to be told to sit my ass down and listen during a discussion of racism, because in that context I am the privileged class. TERFs, on the other hand, are MORE privileged that the trans women they are excluding, because they don't face the additional threat of exclusion and violence that trans women do.

Make sense Y/N?

Back to top Go down

[DISC] Gate-Keeping [split from Discomfort with "Male Tears"] Empty Re: [DISC] Gate-Keeping [split from Discomfort with "Male Tears"]

Post by azazel on Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:36 pm

If a mod could please delete this thread and create a new one themselves if they'd like to discuss this I'd be eternally grateful.

I can already predict this is going to be a thread full of double standardness, and I want nothing to do with that since that will inevitably lead to me getting banned.

Thanks in advance.

azazel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:43 pm

<mod>I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread, since i agree with you it's going in a problematic direction, though I probably don't share your reasons. </mod>
Enail
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum