How good are you at reading people?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How good are you at reading people? - Page 2 Empty Re: How good are you at reading people?

Post by reboot on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:48 pm

It is weird how different people are. I did not even have to think twice about the old people and got them all right and missed one younger woman and two younger men. For the three I missed I actually did not think any of the options fit well so picked one that I did not actually think fit.

Last edited by reboot on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

How good are you at reading people? - Page 2 Empty Re: How good are you at reading people?

Post by kleenestar on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:48 pm

FWIW, the test was developed by showing people the pictures and asking them to describe the emotion; the data had to meet a certain threshold of consensus before a given picture could be used. I believe distractor items were randomly chosen from all adjectives used more than a certain number of times to describe the eyes. Of course, what's interesting about this method is that it means the test doesn't actually test for whether you can tell what the person is feeling, but rather only whether you agree with how other people socially interpret the same picture.
kleenestar
kleenestar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:53 pm

I thought the picture choice was interesting. There were no old women. In fact, all the women looked younger with fewer crows feet, etc and there was less of an age range than the men. And, as Werel noted, all the women had makeup of some sort on.
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nerdator on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:45 pm

reboot wrote:I thought the picture choice was interesting. There were no old women. In fact, all the women looked younger with fewer crows feet, etc and there was less of an age range than the men. And, as Werel noted, all the women had makeup of some sort on.

I've noticed the lack of old[er] women, too, though I think it's unfortunately unsurprising, not interesting.

(Also, I took the last test posted, http://socialintelligence.labinthewild.org/mite/, not the one in the original post. It has different pictures, though this bias is there.)
Nerdator
Nerdator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:56 pm

The NYT-test gave me a 21, just below the average range. About what I would expect. (The first one told me I was incredibly observant, which doesn't quite match my own impression.)
Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

View user profile http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:19 pm

kleenestar wrote:FWIW, the test was developed by showing people the pictures and asking them to describe the emotion; the data had to meet a certain threshold of consensus before a given picture could be used. I believe distractor items were randomly chosen from all adjectives used more than a certain number of times to describe the eyes. Of course, what's interesting about this method is that it means the test doesn't actually test for whether you can tell what the person is feeling, but rather only whether you agree with how other people socially interpret the same picture.

I feel like that's important to know, too. It doesn't mean those expressions are universal across cultures but in the wild, you're egenerally worried about reading expressions in your own culture. Now it may be that your culture as a whole is really bad about reading certain expressions but I think its safe to say that the consensus is usually pretty close to accurate, especially with more nuanced, deliberate expressions outside the core seven of anger, fear, disgust, contempt, joy, sadness and surprise.

Gentleman Johnny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan_Brodribb on Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:12 pm

kleenestar wrote:FWIW, the test was developed by showing people the pictures and asking them to describe the emotion; the data had to meet a certain threshold of consensus before a given picture could be used. I believe distractor items were randomly chosen from all adjectives used more than a certain number of times to describe the eyes. Of course, what's interesting about this method is that it means the test doesn't actually test for whether you can tell what the person is feeling, but rather only whether you agree with how other people socially interpret the same picture.

I got a 23, which pissed me off because I'm good at this stuff and I've also taken courses in it. http://www.paulekman.com/.

But yeah. Those descriptions were not good. Some of them weren't even emotions--I could have sworn I saw 'sarcastic' in there at one point.

Also, it looked to me like the examples looked like stills of models or actors. Which means not only are they STATIC pictures, they are emotions meant to be displayed, not necessarily actually felt emotions.

Also, what Kleenstar said.

Also, my blood sugar was low and I was distracted.

I rate myself as Better-than-Average in terms of being reading people. Also, the fortune-teller at the street festival told me I was intuitive.

In conclusion, F**k this test and the morons who made it. I'm sensitive and compassionate and my Biggest Problem is that I'm Too Nice a Guy. I CARE TOO MUCH!

*flips table and storms out*

*comes back and fixes table*

*storms out again. Closes door gently so not to disturb anyone*

Dan_Brodribb
Roving Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaz on Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:45 pm

29, which duly confuses me because I'm autistic.

(Then again, my assessment of my own ability to read body language is basically ???? at this point - I can't tell if I'm bad at it, good at it but not in the way NTs expect, good at it in theory but have to spend so much energy on other stuff when actually interacting with people that I can't do it in practice, or whatever.)

And of course, choosing out of four options makes it a lot easier - a bunch of those expressions I'd have assigned no-info to on my own, but where I'd go "well, not scared, not annoyed... uh... pick one of the other two at random". Hell, a bunch of their suggested options were things I would *never* pick up from facial expressions alone or from body language in general - arrogant, dominant, jealous, sarcastic, fantasizing, flirtatious (...yeah), and various others were ones were I went "people seriously get those off a face?"

Still. I remember realising I didn't actually know what a frown looked like when I was eighteen; the idea that I am now supposed to be better than average at reading expressions boggles the mind.

Kaz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aggrax on Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:44 pm

Just took the NYT Times quiz and got a 12. I looked back through, just to see if I had a big gender disparity, but it was about equal between the male and female faces.

I don't know if this is significant or not, but I had a hard time picking up any kind of positive emotion from these faces. Like, I couldn't picture any of those full faces smiling or laughing or being happy.
Aggrax
Aggrax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:48 pm

I got "incredibly observant" on the first quiz and 28/36 on the second one. The women in that second one sure are fantasizing and interested a lot. Neutral

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:28 pm

Dan_Brodribb wrote:
Also, it looked to me like the examples looked like stills of models or actors. Which means not only are they STATIC pictures, they are emotions meant to be displayed, not necessarily actually felt emotions.

I'm pretty confident that one of the eyes belonged to a young Keanu Reeves. It's the one where you had to pick "rebellious".

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan on Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:53 pm

HermitTheToad wrote:
Dan_Brodribb wrote:

I'm pretty confident that one of the eyes belonged to a young Keanu Reeves. It's the one where you had to pick "rebellious".

But the correct choice is obviously "sad".
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection on Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:19 pm

I am incredibly observant? Nah mate, I'm just a bloody good guesser!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum