Calling somebody a "dick" as an insult. Problematic?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Calling somebody a "dick" as an insult. Problematic? - Page 2 Empty Re: Calling somebody a "dick" as an insult. Problematic?

Post by BasedBuzzed on Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:34 pm

Also, butthurt becomes it's possibly rape culture(better safe than sorry) or wanker and jerk, because it boosts the stigma on male onanism.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Calling somebody a "dick" as an insult. Problematic? - Page 2 Empty Re: Calling somebody a "dick" as an insult. Problematic?

Post by fakely mctest on Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:22 am

OneTrueGuest wrote:BUT.  If you really ask yourself WHY they are insults, you still see the original meanings in there.  "Retarded" because someone did something dumb?  Well there are certain forms of mental handicaps where people have a lower IQ.  "Gypped" because you were taken advantage of?  Well the idea is once upon a time the Romani people were swindlers and criminals.  "Faggot" because you want to put someone down?  Because being gay was considered a bad thing to be, because no one would want to be called a homosexual because that's a bad thing.

Could not agree more.  Etymology is important and ignorance of a given word's origin is not really an excuse after someone points it out to you the first time.  As much as people like to bag on Tumblr, there are a number of good rundowns of ways to express certain sentiments in a way that doesn't incorporate slurs.

I have to say that the Louis CK bit reminds me of part of a Chris Rock sketch I saw the other day where he was also defending the use of the word "faggot."  Now, I think Chris Rock is absolutely brilliant on the subject of white-on-black racism, but watching that whole uncomfortable segment specifically about when it's okay to call someone a faggot made me deeply uncomfortable, particularly as it came after an excellent and acerbic bit on when it's okay for white people to use the N word:

General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:37 am

fakely mctest wrote:
Could not agree more.  Etymology is important and ignorance of a given word's origin is not really an excuse after someone points it out to you the first time.

Er, I'd be wary of using a word's origin as the sole measure of the badness of any word, and instead focus more on it's oppressive history.

Because if a word's origin held too much merit, then 'bad' would still be a homophobic slur and 'faggot' would also mean to express contempt towards older women (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=faggot).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:13 am

fakely mctest wrote:
-Chris Rock snip-

Oh man, so funny. Chris Rock is ALWAYS on-point, I swear.

"The police report will serve as yo freedom papers."

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum