Agent Carter

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Agent Carter

Post by Jayce on Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:20 am

So I've been seeing these photos of that woman from Captain America on my facebook page and I was wondering whats going on and found out that there is a new spin off based on her. So I went on the Wikipedia page of the spin off series and saw a quote of Hayley Atwell's interpretation of relationship the character she plays and Steve Rogers - "It's only been a year and she's grieving him and I think what keeps her going is he was the greatest person she ever knew – even before he took the serum and became Captain America. She knew his character and she saw a kindred spirit in him. So I think she's grieving the loss of him but she's also determined to make sure that his work wasn't in vain."

Personally I always thought it was the other way around, that Steve Rogers was just the scrawny, short, and invisible little guy until he took the serum and learned to be brave, strong, courageous and noticeable and that's when Agent Carter noticed his desire to protect others. After all, most of the interactions between the two characters occur after Steve took the serum. What are your interpretations on this?

I hope this series is going to be good, maybe the Black Widow spin off film might be more possible if this show does well.

Jayce

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Agent Carter

Post by UristMcBunny on Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:33 pm

The movie I saw had Steve Rogers being visibly brave and courageous from the start - I thought that was his entire driving characteristic. His determination to sign up for service in spite of his health issues, his honourable behaviour during training - including when he proves his bravery when an army sergeant throws a fake grenade at the troop, and scrawny, unwell Steve is the only one to react by covering the grenade with his body to protect everyone else (something Agent Carter witnesses and reacts to positively).

And from what I recall it isn't his transformation into the Big Steve that makes him special - in the movie he subsequently spends months being nothing more than a dancing monkey for the troops, against his wishes - until she goes to him and reminds him who he was and what he was meant to be.

Then again, it's been a while since I watched it, so I might be misremembering bits.

Moderator of "Romantic and Sexual Relationships"

View user profile http://uristmcdorf.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel on Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:34 pm

In the current movie series, at least, Rogers was definitely not invisible to Carter before he took the serum. One scene that comes to mind is when he finds the way to get the flag off the pole in training using his wits instead of his strength, and the movie shows Carter smiling at that and giving the army captain--or whatever his rank was (I don't remember)--a pointed look. IIRC there are a few moments like that during the training, where they cut to her looking impressed by/pleased with him.

I mean, she definitely has a reaction to seeing him transformed--but I think it'd be kind of implausible for her not to be affected by that, especially given its suddenness and unexpectedness (they didn't even know it would work, and it's not like guys usually transform that drastically in the course of a few minutes). The impression the movie gave me, though, was that she'd been into him before that and even after it was still his personality she was primarily attracted to.

Edit: To illustrate, you can see the flag scene around the 1:50 mark here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9HCqnBcm8M and the grenade scene Bunny mentions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO6qu5fQLHo (they don't show a lot of Carter's reaction but I'd say she looks shocked and impressed)
Mel
Roving Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Tue May 05, 2015 2:43 pm

I'm reviving this thread b/c GJ mentioned Agent Carter and it got me thinking. I watched the first season, and at the time I thought it was pretty entertaining but wasn't really wowing me. But since it went off the air, I've actively been missing it, which I hardly ever do! Now I'm really hoping it gets renewed. Go figure!
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum