Entertainment Joys

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Entertainment Joys

Post by bomaye on Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:22 am

I started watching the original Science Ninja Team Gatchaman, a 1972 henshin/mecha anime (think Power Rangers crossed with Captain Planet) that was variously translated into english as "Battle of the Planets" and "G-Force", in September 2012. It was only 105 episodes, but it was something that I've been variously jumping on and off for years now, and I finallly watched the last episode today.

Shit was fun, I loved how hardcore these old cartoons can be. Everything fucking exploded in this show, and half of the explosions were full nuclear mushroom clouds. It's like if Power Rangers acknowledged all the people dying when the giant monsters go on rampages, or if the Putty Patrol were real people and the good guys killed the shit out of them. Also because old-school Japanese, there was a lot of bushido, honour and revenge involved. Like a standard story for us is someone seeking revenge, but ultimately deciding before striking the killing blow that revenge will never make you whole. Not here. You fucking take revenge even if it hurts you to your soul, because the goddamn spirits of your ancestors aren't going to rest otherwise.

It was also somewhat interesting because juuuuust at the final 10ish episodes of the series, blood started being shown on-screen and I wonder if that was a thing that started with anime right at that time.

YOSHAAAA

I also have a Gatchaman II and a little bit of Gatchaman F, so I might watch those eventually (F's translation never finished for us, so I dunno) but things kind of seem "not the same" with those so I'll probably put them off
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 on Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:43 am

Nintendo just announced there's a new Eevee evolution!

In the newest game, if you give Eevee money every day for a month, it evolves into Patreon.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:52 am

Finally got around to watching It Follows. I'm about two years late shhh. Razz

Anyway.

Holy shit, it's awesome. That's how you do horror. None of the stereotypical jump scare bullshit with the loud noises. No, ban that shit! There are a few jumps/startling moments in It Follows, but it's done in such a way that it distracts you for a moment from the real issue. That's when the real horror begins. The idea of this movie itself is just amazingly scary.

Great movie, highly recommend it. It's on Netflix.

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:03 pm

I'm really digging The Young Pope so far. Absolutely weird show, but weird in all the right ways to match my tastes. Jude Law smoking cigs in fancy pope clothes, saying all the wrong pope things because he's just some prettyboy goon? A plot that looks like it will seriously address the gay bloc within the Vatican? Heavily stylized visuals that totally work for me? Legit affecting moments exploring what faith means to a billion people? Yes please. Hooked.

Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:16 am

Kuzu no Honkai/Scum's Wish just keeps subtly pushing the right buttons with me. It's up to 5 or 6 episodes out of 12.

It's a seinen/adult manga and anime about two high school kids who are in love with their teachers, and knowing that they're never going to be able to get with them, use each-other as surrogates instead. It's a lot of lonely sadness and unfulfilling sex, and shown in a way that makes you wonder "wait, did I just start watching a hentai... I guess not, but that was close"... and one character introduced a bit later whooooo... let's say, plays with people in a similar way that Yashiro from Erased did (without the violence ofc).

It's also something that has been given a lot of thought and not just plotting that's going through the motions. I'd say every other episode, something gets said that really strikes a chord because it's not the usual kind of dialogue in this genre. Also the outro is done by the same person who did the Boku Dake outro, which you can basically end anything with that wailing and I'm probs in
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:08 am

Okay, okay, that was a damn good song, and it convinced me to watch the first episode, and yeah, I'm in. And yeah, brought back serious feels of the years and years of pining I did over an older male friend who is really like a brother to me who I've known since I was a teenager and basically was there to watch me grow up who I totally didn't try to run from my feelings with through unemotional hookups with other men, woo! Interesting animations decisions, dark tone, and like you said, gross but realistic kissing noises. bomaye, if you wanna start up a discussion thread specifically for Scum's Wish, I'm so in.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:33 am

Yeah, I probably will now
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:03 am

Season 2, Episode 4 of The Expanse was one of the most spectacular episodes of sci-fi I've ever seen Shiny/thrilled
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:30 am

Love The Expanse.
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR on Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:15 pm

Last night's episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was really great and made me glad I stuck with the show.
KMR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos on Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:20 pm

eselle28 wrote:Love The Expanse.

Me too. Plowing through the books, eager for season 2 to get on Netflix.

View user profile http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Archetype694 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:01 am

The first five minutes of Horizon Zero Dawn. I really was not expecting to like this game as much as I do.

Spoiler:
Within the first ten seconds I knew I was in for something special. Lil Aloy looks a bit like my niece so I couldn't help but feel a bit of bonding to the character. The intro with Rost and Aloy was heartwarming and left me with a smile from ear to ear.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:39 am

In all seriousness, go see the Beauty and the Beast remake. You'll be glad you did!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:21 pm

All these months later, it's still really fun to watch a group of high school kids wandering around a public library looking for who keeps knocking their scrub-ass pokemon out of the gym. Every time they come by me I put down my phone and look real serious and businesslike. They will never figure it out.
Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum