NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Entertainment Joys

+42
Sahrimnir
DoubtfulGuest
Enail
Glides
litterature
Kiskadee
bomaye
Xexyz
kath
Chickpea Sarada
Aggrax
KitKat
choys
Hirundo Bos
Robjection
Andrew Corvero
Dan_Brodribb
Aalo
CP96
InkAndComb
Raindancing
Prajnaparamita
reboot
Jayce
Suika
Gentleman Johnny
Caffeinated
celette482
caliseivy
Conreezy
waxingjaney
PKB
nearly_takuan
eselle28
Gman
The Wisp
Archetype694
SarahGryph
Lemminkainen
Mel
WJMorris3
UristMcBunny
46 posters

Page 15 of 27 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21 ... 27  Next

Go down

Entertainment Joys - Page 15 Empty Re: Entertainment Joys

Post by bomaye Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:22 am

I started watching the original Science Ninja Team Gatchaman, a 1972 henshin/mecha anime (think Power Rangers crossed with Captain Planet) that was variously translated into english as "Battle of the Planets" and "G-Force", in September 2012. It was only 105 episodes, but it was something that I've been variously jumping on and off for years now, and I finallly watched the last episode today.

Shit was fun, I loved how hardcore these old cartoons can be. Everything fucking exploded in this show, and half of the explosions were full nuclear mushroom clouds. It's like if Power Rangers acknowledged all the people dying when the giant monsters go on rampages, or if the Putty Patrol were real people and the good guys killed the shit out of them. Also because old-school Japanese, there was a lot of bushido, honour and revenge involved. Like a standard story for us is someone seeking revenge, but ultimately deciding before striking the killing blow that revenge will never make you whole. Not here. You fucking take revenge even if it hurts you to your soul, because the goddamn spirits of your ancestors aren't going to rest otherwise.

It was also somewhat interesting because juuuuust at the final 10ish episodes of the series, blood started being shown on-screen and I wonder if that was a thing that started with anime right at that time.

YOSHAAAA

I also have a Gatchaman II and a little bit of Gatchaman F, so I might watch those eventually (F's translation never finished for us, so I dunno) but things kind of seem "not the same" with those so I'll probably put them off
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:43 am

Nintendo just announced there's a new Eevee evolution!

In the newest game, if you give Eevee money every day for a month, it evolves into Patreon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:52 am

Finally got around to watching It Follows. I'm about two years late shhh. Razz

Anyway.

Holy shit, it's awesome. That's how you do horror. None of the stereotypical jump scare bullshit with the loud noises. No, ban that shit! There are a few jumps/startling moments in It Follows, but it's done in such a way that it distracts you for a moment from the real issue. That's when the real horror begins. The idea of this movie itself is just amazingly scary.

Great movie, highly recommend it. It's on Netflix.

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:03 pm

I'm really digging The Young Pope so far. Absolutely weird show, but weird in all the right ways to match my tastes. Jude Law smoking cigs in fancy pope clothes, saying all the wrong pope things because he's just some prettyboy goon? A plot that looks like it will seriously address the gay bloc within the Vatican? Heavily stylized visuals that totally work for me? Legit affecting moments exploring what faith means to a billion people? Yes please. Hooked.

Entertainment Joys - Page 15 3o6ZtioMbSaIrbUmxq
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:16 am

Kuzu no Honkai/Scum's Wish just keeps subtly pushing the right buttons with me. It's up to 5 or 6 episodes out of 12.

It's a seinen/adult manga and anime about two high school kids who are in love with their teachers, and knowing that they're never going to be able to get with them, use each-other as surrogates instead. It's a lot of lonely sadness and unfulfilling sex, and shown in a way that makes you wonder "wait, did I just start watching a hentai... I guess not, but that was close"... and one character introduced a bit later whooooo... let's say, plays with people in a similar way that Yashiro from Erased did (without the violence ofc).

It's also something that has been given a lot of thought and not just plotting that's going through the motions. I'd say every other episode, something gets said that really strikes a chord because it's not the usual kind of dialogue in this genre. Also the outro is done by the same person who did the Boku Dake outro, which you can basically end anything with that wailing and I'm probs in
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:08 am

Okay, okay, that was a damn good song, and it convinced me to watch the first episode, and yeah, I'm in. And yeah, brought back serious feels of the years and years of pining I did over an older male friend who is really like a brother to me who I've known since I was a teenager and basically was there to watch me grow up who I totally didn't try to run from my feelings with through unemotional hookups with other men, woo! Interesting animations decisions, dark tone, and like you said, gross but realistic kissing noises. bomaye, if you wanna start up a discussion thread specifically for Scum's Wish, I'm so in.

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:33 am

Yeah, I probably will now
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:03 am

Season 2, Episode 4 of The Expanse was one of the most spectacular episodes of sci-fi I've ever seen Shiny/thrilled
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:30 am

Love The Expanse.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:15 pm

Last night's episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was really great and made me glad I stuck with the show.
KMR
KMR

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:20 pm

eselle28 wrote:Love The Expanse.

Me too. Plowing through the books, eager for season 2 to get on Netflix.
Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Archetype694 Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:01 am

The first five minutes of Horizon Zero Dawn. I really was not expecting to like this game as much as I do.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:39 am

In all seriousness, go see the Beauty and the Beast remake. You'll be glad you did!

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:21 pm

All these months later, it's still really fun to watch a group of high school kids wandering around a public library looking for who keeps knocking their scrub-ass pokemon out of the gym. Every time they come by me I put down my phone and look real serious and businesslike. They will never figure it out.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:01 pm

Rick and Morty S3E1.

The show has gone all the way up its own thematic ass and come out the other side in some sort of infinite recursion loop ourobouros, and I'm pretty on board with it. Not sure what to expect from the rest of this season as a result, but at least this episode was top-tier funny.

Also just about died laughing at
Spoiler:
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Sat May 20, 2017 12:16 pm

Randomly stumbled into this last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUg3r9-sMYg
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Mon May 29, 2017 7:40 am

Blame! - The Movie

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

This movie was so fucking cool. It's a dystopian cyberpunk sort of a mix of the "real world" of the Matrix, Blade Runner (or so I've heard, one of my sci-fi cardinal sins is that I haven't seen it) and Terminator. Apparently on Netflix, but I don't know if it's on all Netflix or just Japanese netflix.

I totally want to hit up the manga for this now
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:22 pm

I'm something of a DVD collector and I watch a lot of things to unwind after work on work days. For the moment my entertainment joy is easily my box set of the 1966 "Batman" TV series. I actually bought it earlier in the month at a Best Buy sale and started watching it a week before Adam West's death. The timing was very eerie. I enjoyed the show watching it in syndication in the 80's and couldn't resist the buy now.

And "joy" is easily the best way to term how I feel rewatching the series. Despite it probably being more well regarded now than it was during the 80's and 90's, I still think it gets a bad rap. If I can find a way to merge this with one of the articles I write professionally for a geek website, it'll be quite a coup.

It's also a great way to honor the man, the myth, and the legend of Adam West.
Datelessman
Datelessman

https://datelessman.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:42 pm

Holy shit, Star Trek: Discovery has Jason Isaacs too!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:06 pm

I'd heard good things about Big Hero 6, but it was really good, smooth execution but also a lot of heart.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:53 pm

Written in honor of your very own Prajna finally watching Avatar: The Last Airbender and getting into the fandom, a decade too late, and for the dear friends of hers who never left:

國破山河在成春草木深

The Nation is broken, only mountains and rivers remain,
Abandoned city enters spring, grasses and trees have grown thick
-Du Fu, Spring Scene

The young wanderer approaches the ruins of the empty battlefield, abandoned and overgrown. If you had not known of the wars over shipping that had once raged in this place, it would appear to be nothing more than gently sloping hills and childhood daydreams. The ruins of epic structures of fanfiction, torn apart from the comments below, dot the landscape where trees might have grown. Sleeping husks of early internet forums, domains gone, chatrooms abandoned rise like the bones of elephant graveyards. Here and there are forgotten portals to AUs and headcannons, decaying statues of OCs, forgotten by even their creators themselves. Scattered like weapons and armor after a war’s retreat are usernames with no use, Zukoluver13, xXKataraQueenXx

The only sound that can be heard is the howl of ironic memes on the wind, so far distanced from their source as to be unrecognizable. “My cabbages!” a random reddit user comments, no context given. No upvotes are to be gained this day. A grizzled veteran sits in the decaying carcass of an abandoned fandom, scarred from more fights over parings than her years should ever know. How long has she been here? Perhaps she tried to leave once, but found no other home than this battlefield. Perhaps she never left at all. She eyes the young wanderer warily. It is the interloper who speaks first.

“You know, I really think Katara and Zuko should fuck”

“Don’t tell me you’re a filthy Zutara shipper!” the ancient warrior hisses. “Aang and Katara were meant to be together!”

Both draw their weapons and prepare to strike. The wanderer rages with the zealous passion of a new convert, unwavering in her determination, but the old veteran knows these fights, knows how to feint and dodge and debate every last episode second by second. Blades clash. Merits of each paring is debated point by point. The war resumes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:05 pm

rofl
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:25 pm

The @EffinBirds account on Twitter is making the news just a little bit more tolerable.

Entertainment Joys - Page 15 DHTOWX2XcAE0i31
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:17 am

Guys I have a problem.

Entertainment Joys - Page 15 Tumblr_ovoxaklNlw1vymbt8o1_400

My waifu in two dimensions, Jabami Yumeko from Kakegurui - Compulsive Gambler <3

But

Entertainment Joys - Page 15 Tumblr_ot20f17T641rumiojo2_500

A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS. Kairi Hojo/Kairi Sane, the Pirate Princess. And she's 3D.

What would Madarame think of me Sad
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:26 am

I finished that Batman 1966 box set, and even got a chance to write about it at my online side gig.

Now I am burning through my box set of the 1987 TMNT animated series. I hadn't seen any of it in years, maybe even 20. The box set is in a Turtle-Van, that even has working wheels. I would have loved it as a kid. I find I'm relating more to the adult characters now. Irma is hilarious. Even Burne Thompson insisting he's "30-ish" on his 50th birthday makes me laugh now.
Datelessman
Datelessman

https://datelessman.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 27 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum