Mansplaining Mansplaining: A Man Explains Mansplaining

Go down

Mansplaining Mansplaining: A Man Explains Mansplaining Empty Mansplaining Mansplaining: A Man Explains Mansplaining

Post by Werel on Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:05 pm

A short humor piece on McSweeney's today which reminded me of some recent discussions here of different axes of privilege: MANSPLAINING MANSPLAINING: A MAN EXPLAINS MANSPLAINING.

I always chuckle at intentional over-the-top pedantry, and a lot of the examples are pretty on the nose (though I would've chosen "meatsplain" over "omnivoresplain," C'MON), but something about this article also made me slightly annoyed. I can't put my finger on it. I'm not a big fan of the word "mansplain," and I have no problem with people poking fun at any school of thought, especially ones I'm mostly on board with. Maybe it's this sentence that irked me?
Michael Mayberry wrote:An aspect of third-wave sex-positivity is justifying sado-masochist sex practices as healthy.
Because who the heck needs to justify the fact that pain makes some people horny, and who's defining "healthy"? innocent

Thoughts on comparing male-on-female pedantry to [other privileged group X]-on-[less privileged on same axis group Y] pedantry? Are they comparable, and do you think privilege-based 'splaining looks similar regardless of the axis, or is there something unique about gender-based didacticism? I have trouble trusting my own experience to be informative here, because gender is pretty much the only category on Earth where I'm not super privileged. Wink
Werel
Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum