Usernames and inspiration!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Usernames and inspiration!

Post by V on Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:35 pm

So I thought I would start a thread where people could talk about their username.

Maybe you chose your username because it's your actual name!  Or close enough.

I'm V, taken from the Alan Moore work "V or Vendetta' and the movie of the same name.

So what inspired your username?!

V

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Usernames and inspiration!

Post by BasedBuzzed on Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:45 pm

Slang and alcohol.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by V on Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:49 pm

Excellent reasons!

V

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:07 pm

My name stemmed outta my real name, it's also my Steam nickname and its what I used on the old DNL forums. Razz

With some slight inspiration from The Big Lebowski. :DDDD

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRoux on Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:11 pm

Roux is the french word for red head (which I am). It has been my identity since I was a kid... In all the places I've been, people I've met dont usually remember my name, but they definitely remember the red head guy...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:00 pm

I joined after digging out of a very problematic period of my life and starting over in many ways, so....
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:09 pm

TheRoux wrote:Roux is the french word for red head (which I am). It has been my identity since I was a kid... In all the places I've been, people I've met dont usually remember my name, but they definitely remember the red head guy...

Whenever I see your name I think of Henry David Thoreau. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:25 pm

The "Rob" part comes from my real name.

The "Objection" part is a bit of a legacy thing. The time when I started getting properly involved in numerous online communities coincides with the time when I got into the Ace Attorney games. Even after my enthusiasm for the series died down, I kept using that username (at least whenever it wasn't already taken) because I was starting to find myself disagreeing with people on a lot of things.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:29 pm

Mine's my real name, even down to the suffix.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OneTrueGuest on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:31 pm

I love this, I'm learning so much about you all Smile .

Me, it came from my posting on DNL Prime.  I didn't really want to sign up initially, and I was posting as "Guest".  And then I started posted A LOT as "Guest" to the point where people kind of knew it was the same person returning and "Guest" kind of became my moniker.  But then one day someone else posted as "Guest" and it was a rather . . . offensive post . . . and I can't remember who it was now, enail maybe?  But someone was all, "Uh is this the same guest as usual??"  And when I read all this I quickly replied "No!!  No it's not.  This is me, I'm not that person.  I'm the one true guest!"  Then whoever it was recommended I register so this mistake doesn't happen again and that that could be a fun moniker . . . and there you go.

So really, compared with y'all my story isn't remotely personal at all Sad .  Except it reveals my tentativeness in participating online.

OneTrueGuest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:37 pm

Bunny is the nickname I almost had in sixth form, and the one I liked the most. I have been trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to have it become a Thing for me IRL. It's connected with some spiritual stuff I have going on and my self-image and just, generally, feels like My Name in a lot of ways.

Urist Mc- is a Dorf Fort fan in-joke. In the DF community, when discussing hilarious or infuriating things a particular dwarf did in a particular player's fortress, the usual method is to name the character Urist Mc-Thing, as Urist is a very common in-game thing and Mc-Something just tends to fit. For example, see: Urist McVampyfangs, the notorious vampire-in-disguise in my fortress, whose story was amusing enough to make it into the game guidebook.

Since I couldn't just call myself Bunny on here (something went wrong with the registration) I just Urist Mc'd myself.

Moderator of "Romantic and Sexual Relationships"

View user profile http://uristmcdorf.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:42 pm

Nothing creative or insightful. It's part of my name combined with my currently-favorite name to give female characters.
caliseivy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:49 pm

Mine's from a typo of "email" that turned into some kind of running joke thing.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:03 pm

Mine is a play on my real name, which is neither Eliza nor Jane but is close enough that people calling me those things still feels like me.

Back to top Go down

Post by kleenestar on Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:19 pm

Mine's a computer science notation written as *, which means, essentially, "repeat the starred thing zero or more times." I adopted it back in college, when I couldn't get my real name as a username while simultaneously taking a theoretical computer science class, but it's so elegant on multiple levels that I've kept using it for almost twenty years. Plus it's almost always available. Smile
kleenestar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:54 pm

Mine's the name of a planet struggling with the legacy of slavery (had just finished reading the relevant book when I joined the old forums). Felt right at the time, and now it feels halfway like a real name.

Enail wrote:Mine's from a typo of "email" that turned into some kind of running joke thing.

I had ALWAYS wondered if this was the case. Grin
Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection on Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:12 pm

UristMcBunny wrote:Bunny is the nickname I almost had in sixth form, and the one I liked the most.  I have been trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to have it become a Thing for me IRL.  It's connected with some spiritual stuff I have going on and my self-image and just, generally, feels like My Name in a lot of ways.

Urist Mc- is a Dorf Fort fan in-joke.  In the DF community, when discussing hilarious or infuriating things a particular dwarf did in a particular player's fortress, the usual method is to name the character Urist Mc-Thing, as Urist is a very common in-game thing and Mc-Something just tends to fit.  For example, see: Urist McVampyfangs, the notorious vampire-in-disguise in my fortress, whose story was amusing enough to make it into the game guidebook.  

Since I couldn't just call myself Bunny on here (something went wrong with the registration) I just Urist Mc'd myself.
Huh, I did wonder what the Urist thing was about.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel on Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:17 pm

Not a very exciting story: I hadn't exactly planned to start commenting on the blog, but one day there was some comment I just had to respond to, so I picked the first random simple name that came to mind that wasn't associated with my existing online presence. I think maybe I'd just read a book with a character named Mel? And then I kept using it for consistency.

(There's been another Mel who's posted from time to time since then, which is part of the reason I registered the name.)
Mel
Roving Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated on Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:23 pm

I was drinking an iced coffee when I registered, and I was doing the 'look around the room for something to choose as a username' thing.
Caffeinated

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan on Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:30 pm

I was trying to think of something that would be different from the name I usually take, because I'm mildly paranoid and some of the people I know under that alias are at least aware of this site. Just my luck that I ended up wanting to use "nearly_takuan" for other accounts afterward and couldn't. Like a few others here, I am finding that this is a name that's kind of grown to feel more like "me" than any of the other online names or offline nicknames people have for me.

I am Japanese-American, and feel more so now that I am surrounded by white people Razz . My second name, which was also the given name of my great-grandfather/hi-jiji, is one kana different from "takuan", and apparently great-grandpa was even called that as a nickname sometimes. (Name=food puns are evidently still a thing, based on my experiences hanging out with exchange students from Japan.) As for "nearly", eh, I just like that word.
nearly_takuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney on Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:46 pm

V wrote:I'm V, taken from the Alan Moore work "V or Vendetta' and the movie of the same name.

I was thinking this:

mostly because I don't read comics.

Mine is a random name I picked out of thin air for no particular reason. It is a portmanteaued reference to a song I posted on the old forum.
waxingjaney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:52 pm

My last one (High Plains Progger) is based on my love of westerns and prog rock.

My current one is a play on one my favourite prog rock albums.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:12 pm

'TheWisp' is actually is an evolution of the username I used to play Warcraft III on Battle.net when I was like 12. That name was level10peon (get it, peons are the orc worker units, while level 10 heroes are super powerful; also I found the peons to be cute). I also sometimes used 'ThePeon'. Then when I first posted DNL prime I didn't want my name connected with other stuff, so I used the acronym for it 'LTP'. Then when I registered on the old forums, I just changed it to 'TheWisp' because I wanted a new name disconnected from other stuff, so I changed the Warcraft III worker in 'ThePeon' to 'wisp', which are the night elf worker units. Also, TheWisp sounds kinda cool on it's own in my opinion.

EDIT: And, fun fact, my picture is of one of the wisps from Sonic Colors.

Last edited by The Wisp on Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
The Wisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR on Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:06 am

The username that I typically use for everything has my real first name in it, and I didn't want to use that for this site. The other name I sometimes use, moonshards, is on my OkCupid profile, and I didn't want people here finding me on OkC at the time. (Now I don't care, since I've gotten up the courage to link to my profile for review back on the old forums.) So in trying to pick something different, I thought back to my teenage years.

When I was in high school, and was a much bigger anime fan than I am today, I actually created a fansite for my favorite anime series, Slayers, and an accompanying messageboard. There, I used the name "Kawaii Madoushi" (Japanese for "cute sorceress") as an homage to the main character of the show, Lina Inverse. This shortened to KM, and I got used to being referred to as such. Since these forums require a minimum of 3 characters for a username, I added an R to the end, which is the first letter of my real name.
KMR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumnflame on Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:46 am

Aaaah Slayers! Gosh, I hadn't thought about that series in years - it was the first anime series I truly fanned on.

My name's pretty much the same as everywhere, probably to my detriment; it came from when I was 12 or 13, had a PC that required usernames, and enamored of mushing two nouns together to create romantic fantasy names, a la the Hawkbrothers in Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar/Velgarth books. I'd been cycling through various combinations (Shadowmoon, Summerwind, etc.) and Autumnflame happened to be the one I was on when I joined my first internet forum. It stuck because I didn't really want to think of any other one.
Autumnflame

View user profile http://priscillakim.carbonmade.com

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum