Usernames and inspiration!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Usernames and inspiration!

Post by Gentleman Johnny on Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:16 am

I picked mine specifically for DNL because
1. I didn't want to associate it with my normal day to day handles. Several of my friends like DNL on Facebook and I didn't want to be outed as a hopeless nerd having dating problems. If you go back far enough you can track the entire arc of my previous serious relationship from flirting to breakup.
2. There was some troll that just absolutely required a taunting reply.
3. I figured instead of playing his game I would approach it and every post in this verbose, Victorian gentleman persona, allowing me to be perpetually polite while using clever wordplay and extensive vocabulary to make fun of him in a way that would fly right over his head. I really should get back to that.
4. I'm not even sure which caused the other now but it ended up being the name of my previous MC persona. Its also a Dresden reference but that never occurred to me until it was well established.

Gentleman Johnny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:24 am

Like V, mine's also an Alan Moore reference, specifically to "Watchmen." The full quote's in my signature.

It fits for a couple of reasons. First of all, like Pagliacci, I'm depressed, life seems harsh and cruel, and I feel all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Like Pagliacci, I've received really unhelpful reactions from professionals I've turned to for help before.

But there's also something else. In the quote, everyone has Pagliacci to cheer them up except for the man himself. That's sort of been the role I've always played in my life, from as far back as I can remember, but with a twist. I'm not the guy who makes people laugh so much I'm the person everyone always has to laugh at, the person everyone can point at and say "Oh well, at least I'm not that guy!"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:27 am

OneTrueGuest wrote:
Me, it came from my posting on DNL Prime.  I didn't really want to sign up initially, and I was posting as "Guest".  And then I started posted A LOT as "Guest" to the point where people kind of knew it was the same person returning and "Guest" kind of became my moniker.  But then one day someone else posted as "Guest" and it was a rather . . . offensive post . . . and I can't remember who it was now, enail maybe?

That post was aimed at me. And I don't think it was The Enail who wrote it.

Anyways, I had a random thought about what would be a name for Kermit the Frog's less glamorous and distant cousin. So I thought of ''HermitTheToad" and have been using it ever since.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel on Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:12 pm

HermitTheToad wrote:
OneTrueGuest wrote:
Me, it came from my posting on DNL Prime.  I didn't really want to sign up initially, and I was posting as "Guest".  And then I started posted A LOT as "Guest" to the point where people kind of knew it was the same person returning and "Guest" kind of became my moniker.  But then one day someone else posted as "Guest" and it was a rather . . . offensive post . . . and I can't remember who it was now, enail maybe?

That post was aimed at me. And I don't think it was The Enail who wrote it.

I remember that happening--I'm pretty sure I was the one who questioned which "Guest" it was.

Funny thing is there was a different person who regularly posted as Guest before OTG started posting under that name (I also remember being a little confused by that switch, heh). I don't know if that was you, Hermit? It would have been more than a couple years ago. It was definitely a guy. I think he was more on the MRA and/or PUA side of things, though.
Mel
Roving Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OneTrueGuest on Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:04 pm

Ah it was Mel! Yes that does feel right. Well you are both female posters I have respected both on the prime site and here for a while before I even started posting, so that was probably where I got confused.

And yes, the whole Guest thing was silly, but I never intended to really join in as much as I ended up doing. But it was worth just signing up and clearing the confusion Smile .

OneTrueGuest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chickpea Sarada on Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:42 pm

Starting a few years ago I was very into Hatoful Boyfriend despite not having the game (I wasn't sure if my computer would be compatible with it), mostly reading Angie Gallant's playthrough and watching Team Hatoful.  Chickpea was what I would have named the heroine if I got the game because it sounded cute and kind of birdlike to me.  I've never actually eaten chickpea salad in my life.

Also, @ nearly_takuan, I'm Japanese-American too! Smile Seeing your username makes me think of a daikon that's almost but not quite done pickling yet. And omg the food-related username thing was a coincidence on my part, I swear!
Chickpea Sarada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos on Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:03 pm

I'm so happy to see this thread, I've been curious about all the usernames.

Hirundo Bos was originally the protagonist of a NaNoWriMo-thing I wrote. The character was strongly based on me (I called it an autobiographical fantasy novel), and the name is based on my own name...

At the time I had just discovered that Martin was a kind of bird, related to and sometimes used interchangeably with swallow. The Latin name for swallow is Hirundo. And my middle name (my mother's family name) is Bull, which doesn't mean anything in Norwegian, but is of course an animal in English; in Latin it translates into Bos.

And it does sound a lot like a name. Much more than "Martinus Taurus," that we came up with when I took Latin back in the previous century. In fact, like others in this thread, "Hirundo" has become something of an identity, and I use it in other online places as well.
Hirundo Bos

View user profile http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hae on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:45 pm

I've been curious about the usernames too.

And takuan, I'm Korean American and that's totally how I pronounce daikon (danmooji i know).

My username comes from my Korean name and I had chosen it because I originally wanted to be anonymous.

Hae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayce on Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:33 pm

Was playing League of Legends, and I really liked the champion, also I didn't have many ideas for a new username at that miment when I saw the forums go back up

Jayce

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:32 am

I am always wondering things. I have started several posts* saying "I'm wondering...." So, the name, it fits.

* maybe that was on the old site instead of here. I'm not sure.

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:36 am

Mel wrote:I remember that happening--I'm pretty sure I was the one who questioned which "Guest" it was.

Funny thing is there was a different person who regularly posted as Guest before OTG started posting under that name (I also remember being a little confused by that switch, heh). I don't know if that was you, Hermit? It would have been more than a couple years ago. It was definitely a guy. I think he was more on the MRA and/or PUA side of things, though.

As far back as I can remember, I've never posted as a 'Guest', not even when I didn't have an IntenseDebate account.

The only person I can think of who'd consistently posted under 'Guest' was OTG. Right up until darthGuest showed up displaying behaviours that seemed unlike her, so I had a feeling that he/she wasn't the OTG.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:42 am

HermitTheToad wrote:As far back as I can remember, I've never posted as a 'Guest', not even when I didn't have an IntenseDebate account.

The only person I can think of who'd consistently posted under 'Guest' was OTG. Right up until darthGuest showed up displaying behaviours that seemed unlike her, so I had a feeling that he/she wasn't the OTG.

Ah, sorry, I misread your earlier comment. When you said "that post was aimed at me" I thought you meant the post asking if darthGuest was OTG (i.e., you were the one who made the darthGuest post), which didn't sound quite right to me, but my memory is far from perfect. Sorry for the confusion.

There was definitely an antagonistic guy who used to post as Guest--I remember tensing up when I saw he'd made a comment on a post because of the sort of thing he'd usually say--but it's been quite a while and I don't think he ever posted *that* frequently. It's possible it was more than one guy with similar opinions, but I definitely had the impression from content and writing style that it was the same person.
Mel
Roving Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kath on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:16 pm

Mine is just the name I go by. I figure it's a fairly common name so whatever.

The Roux, I always thought of the type of sauce (er, like, the sauce base).
kath

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by V on Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:48 pm

@waxingjaney

I remember the V miniseries which I was contemporaneous with the unrelated "V or Vendetta" comic book.  I first became aware of it from the film adaption which was much later.

V

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gman on Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:14 am

I chose my username for here after the famous half-life 2 character. I chose it because when I signed up initially I felt kind of out of control of my life and lost... feeling like some mysterious character, like the gman, is somehow controlling my life and my fate. 

That and the fact that I usually go under the handle "Golden Sun" (named after the famous GBA JRPG video games - who are probably the only 2 games I ever 100% completed, ever) (usually with numbers attached to the end because someone else took that handle before me) and didn't want my friends knowing I was surfing here as well, on the off chance that they do find this site too. 

The picture of spiderman that I chose was just done on a random whim, just so that I won't have an empty profile picture.
Gman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Downvote on Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:29 pm

My name is my favourite hobby in DNL discussions....;-) cheers cheers cheers
Haha, just kidding, it was just word in my mind when I saw note about new forum.
Downvote

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Suika on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:12 pm

I'm just a weeb.
Suika

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raindancing on Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:11 pm

I have always loved rainy weather. I grew up in Central Texas, where we sometimes go three or four months without rain. I developed the tradition of going outside and dancing in the rain that breaks a drought.

I haven't done it in a few years, though. I probably should.
Raindancing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by InkAndComb on Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:01 am

Squids and honeybees.  I am incredibly, INCREDIBLY interested in beekeeping. So interested that I have already planned what species I'd like, and have been looking into visiting an apiarist and see if I feel similarly while being covered with bees.  I love honey, I love the idea of having a homestead and having them there...my partner is the first who hasn't been afraid of the idea, so that helps haha

Squids! I love 'em.  Tentacles are awesome, squids are neato, coelapods are my bros.  I want my first tattoo to be a squid and honeybee intertwined in some way.  InkAndComb sounded nice and nonidentifying, but also fun! The last SN I had was quirkyBibliophile (but is often too long).
InkAndComb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:11 am

InkAndComb wrote:Squids and honeybees.  I am incredibly, INCREDIBLY interested in beekeeping. So interested that I have already planned what species I'd like, and have been looking into visiting an apiarist and see if I feel similarly while being covered with bees.  I love honey, I love the idea of having a homestead and having them there...my partner is the first who hasn't been afraid of the idea, so that helps haha

Squids! I love 'em.  Tentacles are awesome, squids are neato, coelapods are my bros.  I want my first tattoo to be a squid and honeybee intertwined in some way.  InkAndComb sounded nice and nonidentifying, but also fun! The last SN I had was quirkyBibliophile (but is often too long).

Oh, so interesting. I found the Pharyngula blog because of politics and religion, but I will admit that part of the reason I stayed was for the cephalopods. They're amazing, and I secretly suspect that if they lived slightly longer they'd be the sentient species and mammals would be quietly endangered.
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by InkAndComb on Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:14 pm

Oh, so interesting. I found the Pharyngula blog because of politics and religion, but I will admit that part of the reason I stayed was for the cephalopods. They're amazing, and I secretly suspect that if they lived slightly longer they'd be the sentient species and mammals would be quietly endangered.

Did you know that octopi have been known to escape out of their tanks,  repeatedly, and make their way back in? :3 It's a big reason (I suspect) why people don't own them as pets.  Too intelligent! Sorry for the derail, just had to say (also I suspect they may evolve even more intellect if they survive long enough to do so!)

Last edited by InkAndComb on Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : So bad at formatting)
InkAndComb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by skullbearer on Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:40 am

Mine's from Terry Brook's LotR rip-off Sword of Shannara; it sucked, but the name was cool. The skull is a rock on Mars that looks a bit like a skull.
skullbearer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum