Dating with Asperger's

Go down

Dating with Asperger's  Empty Dating with Asperger's

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:48 pm

Good Men Project article

So anyway, I was just reading this article and the entire time, I was repeatedly nodding my head like "yup yup yup, that's me to a T." Explains perfectly what dating is like for me and why it's so fucking difficult to me.

I really wish there was a cure, because I'm sick and tired of being different from everyone else. People have jokingly asked "are you autistic or something?" in response to something really stupid I accidentally did because I misread signals, and I'll just pretend to go along with it.

I mean, yes, I am autistic, but whenever someone learns that about me, they treat me like a monkey. Like I'm some kind of science experiment.

And it's even tougher with this whole self-diagnosis craze to get attention, where people say they're "so autistic" whenever they feel awkward. People do that a lot, it's like driving a nail into my brain every time.

This line in particular got me: "Life for me is like not knowing 2/3rds of the rules and having to learn them the hard way while everyone else instinctively knows them all."

And I'm sick and tired of that, because I want to connect with people, I want something meaningful, and I'm increasingly realizing that it's my dumb stupid deformed brain that's preventing me from getting anything like that. I mean, geez, most neckbeards and red pillers are autistic, I'm basically their less retarded cousin. I'm more closely related to them than I am to a normal human being.

I'm just saying, being less than human sucks ass. Really really sucks. And reading this article made me feel really sad, because all I want to be is a human being.

Back to top Go down

Dating with Asperger's  Empty Re: Dating with Asperger's

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:18 pm

Glides, I really don't want to pile on, and I know you didn't mean it this way, but as someone on the spectrum, and who has kids on the spectrum, could you not say people on the spectrum aren't human? :-/

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos on Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:23 pm

Glides, I didn't know you were autistic! I have the same not derformed, but differently calibrated kind of brain myself. I'm sorry people treat you as a science experiment because of it, and I can imagine why it would make you reluctant to talk about it.

I... have learned a lot thing these last years that might soon make me able to date with Asperger's, although I'm not quite sure I can put words to it... I could try to adress specific questions if you or anyone else are interested... But I can say with the author of the article that while it's hard, it's not exactly impossible.

Last edited by Hirundo Bos on Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

View user profile http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:27 pm

<mod> Glides, folks with autism are not less than human, and saying so (even if primarily self-directed) is not cool. No more of that, please! </mod>
Werel
Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum