A different kind of advertisment

Go down

A different kind of advertisment Empty A different kind of advertisment

Post by Gman on Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:34 pm

So as you all know - yesterday was the superbowl 2015. I couldn't give a rats ass about it (though I understand it's a really big deal in the US), so I don't care about who won or why.
What I do find interesting were the things around it - especially the ads, which are usually quite creative and tend to be more complex than your average advertisment.
So one of the ads that I have seen is this one, which I personally find kind of postivite (or at least a step in the right direction), which goes with the tag "#RealStrength"

Had to say, it touched me. While the transition to the product being advertised was kind of jaring, the message, I think is a step in a right direction. It shows that being a "Strong Man" isn't just "Manly" things but also being a caring individual (and actually showing emotions) :-)
Gman
Gman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A different kind of advertisment Empty Re: A different kind of advertisment

Post by Conreezy on Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:55 pm

Yeah, those really made my ovaries twinge.  

I didn't like the one about the race car driver, though.  Seems like it took him 15 years (and buying the right car) to learn to appreciate time with his son, then all is forgiven!

Really, though, I thought a lot of these commercials were terribly heavy-handed with their attempt to tug at heart strings.  Too few of them were good, old fashioned funny or fun.  I can forgive a commercial for being a shameless plug when it doesn't take itself too seriously, but using dead kids to promote life insurance (or anything?)  That's seriously fucked up.

Also, I felt kind of odd about the feminist-oriented, "let's make like a girl mean something good" commercial.  Calling out the kid for the double standard is fine, but having it filmed and put on national TV?  Hopefully that was all an act.  Otherwise, maybe letting a full grown adult fumble over his prejudices instead.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp on Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:11 pm

That ad is sweet. However, it kinda feels like a cop out to me. Notice that it was basically fathers interacting with young children, and that the one interaction with an adult child was a daughter. Men are pretty free to be emotionally open and caring with their young children and adult daughters. Emotional vulnerability and caring with other adult men, even adult sons, (and adult women who are not a relative or a romantic partner) is still very hard and would have been better and more interesting if the commercial went there, in my view.
The Wisp
The Wisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by trooper6 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:33 pm

On the Melissa Harris Perry show over the weekend they discussed these ads and how they are being called "Dadvertising," and an interesting point was brought up. One of the commentators didn't actually think these ads were aimed at Dads at all. Rather, they thought the ads were aimed at women just like many of the ads are. They were just playing into the idea that women desire to be married to Dads who are also sensitive and emotionally caring and participating in the nurturing side of parenting. So, while it may look new...it isn't actually.

Thoughts?

trooper6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gman on Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:12 am

Conreezy wrote:Yeah, those really made my ovaries twinge.  
Really, though, I thought a lot of these commercials were terribly heavy-handed with their attempt to tug at heart strings.  Too few of them were good, old fashioned funny or fun.  I can forgive a commercial for being a shameless plug when it doesn't take itself too seriously, but using dead kids to promote life insurance (or anything?)  That's seriously fucked up.

Didn't see a lot of other adds (including this one you mention about using dead kids to promote life insurance?! WTF?!) - all I saw beyond that was the one with bryan cranston reprising his role as Walter White from "breaking bad" in another insurance advert and also an add for mophie battery charger which was actually pretty funny and wacky.

trooper6 wrote:On the Melissa Harris Perry show over the weekend they discussed these ads and how they are being called "Dadvertising," and an interesting point was brought up. One of the commentators didn't actually think these ads were aimed at Dads at all. Rather, they thought the ads were aimed at women just like many of the ads are. They were just playing into the idea that women desire to be married to Dads who are also sensitive and emotionally caring and participating in the nurturing side of parenting. So, while it may look new...it isn't actually.

Thoughts?

Like I wrote before, I never said these adverts were really "revolutionary" in any crazy way, just something that I found to be different and a step in the right direction. I find it hard to believe these adverts are actually for women, as the product itself is clearly catagorized as a "mens" product.
Gman
Gman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:11 am

trooper6 wrote:On the Melissa Harris Perry show over the weekend they discussed these ads and how they are being called "Dadvertising," and an interesting point was brought up. One of the commentators didn't actually think these ads were aimed at Dads at all. Rather, they thought the ads were aimed at women just like many of the ads are. They were just playing into the idea that women desire to be married to Dads who are also sensitive and emotionally caring and participating in the nurturing side of parenting. So, while it may look new...it isn't actually.

Thoughts?

I can totally see that.

What I liked about this add was less the sensitivity and more the competent parenting. All too often men are shown as incapable of doing basic household tasks and child care. This add shows that, yes, men can comb the hair of squirmy toddlers and take care of their kids without mom swooping in to save the day (usually with a cleaning product).
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:25 pm

reboot wrote:What I liked about this add was less the sensitivity and more the competent parenting. All too often men are shown as incapable of doing basic household tasks and child care. This add shows that, yes, men can comb the hair of squirmy toddlers and take care of their kids without mom swooping in to save the day (usually with a cleaning product).

Yes, exactly. I am so tired of the incompetent, buffoon dad commercials.

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:34 pm

Wondering wrote:
Yes, exactly. I am so tired of the incompetent, buffoon dad commercials.

I always think of this video and lol to myself when I see doofy husband ads.

Werel
Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum