NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anime general thread

+20
Hielario
bomaye
sky
eselle28
Student
Werel
Archetype694
Bumble
Xexyz
Caffeinated
HSavinien
Jayce
choys
CP96
litterature
Aggrax
Kurairush
Chickpea Sarada
Suika
Enail
24 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Anime general thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Anime general thread

Post by Archetype694 Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:07 pm

I haven't watched a good anime in quite a long while. Would anyone mind giving me some suggestions?

To give an example of my taste, I greatly enjoyed Cowboy Bebop, FMA: Brotherhood, and even eventually warmed up to Naruto. Bleach was fun until it got to Aizen and his "You activated my trap card" bit.

I've been watching One Punch Man which while annoyingly silly at times I do like what they have done with the Superman archetype and how they have a varied class of heroes all with different abilities and techniques.

That and I am enjoying the new Lupin III. If I recall the animation and sound is from the same team that made Cowboy Bebop. Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:08 pm

I haven't seen it, but I've heard people who liked Cowboy Bebop liked Space Dandy.

Also, One Punch Man just ended <3
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:46 pm

<mod>Discussion of Erased/Boku Dake ga Inai Machi moved to its own thread!</mod>
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayce Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:08 pm

The classic cast, the Egyptian themed music. Nostalgia train here I come!

Jayce

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:21 pm

Been hitting up the anime this season. So far I've found:

Dimension W. Stylish, a bit of Cowboy Bebop in there. This probably would be the anime of the season if Erased wasn't blowing everything out of the water

Schwarzesmarken. Apparently came from some hentai novel game or something, and you can see the roots of it in their mecha piloting suits, but it's hitting a lot of my weak spots. East-German cold-war intrigue, mecha, aliens kind of remind me of Doom, shit ain't bad

Nijiiro Days is a light/funny high school romance. Purple-hair chain makes me lol. Sh-shut up.

Divine Gate's art style is amazing, a lot of bright colours but somehow still making it shade-y. I want to know what's going on with this world and the magic in it. This would've been something that I would've gone nuts over if I was 13 again. Tries too hard to be edgy half of the time.

Active Raid is a police mecha show that seems to be all about fanservice and really nicely animated mecha. I may drop this because there's not much to sink teeth into, though.

Ajin, Demi-Human is really intriguing. The animation is uncanny-valley between 2D and 3D (I can see why some wouldn't like it, but I can't quite take my eyes off of it), and there's no "official" subgroup so I had to rely on a pretty poor fansub. It's about the regular world becoming aware of immortal demi-humans or something and a teenage boy finding out he is one.

Also a friend has got me watching Parasyte The Maxim from awhile ago along with him. It's a look gross and kinda funny. I'm interested. It's a about a teenage guy who has his right hand taken over by a body-snatcher type alien.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:17 am

So, Parasyte - the Maxim-

I'm around Episode 14 (of 24)

>Great background music.
>The opening theme Zetsubou Billy'd me (a theme I wasn't quite as into but now I love it, dat Stockholm Syndrome)
>The outro is like a slice-of-life sitcom theme
>The teaser preview at the end of each episode is even stylish and well-scored
>TENSION
>ACTION
>SUBTLE PSYCHOLOGICAL THINGS
>TWISTS

Episode 12 so far has been The One but there was a bunch of others that were close to being that too
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:42 am

Finished off Parasyte. Really OST, really liked who the final enemy was, some good feels the rest of the way.

I did think the series peaked around Episode 12, though.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:19 pm

AJIN: DEMI HUMAN. SUCH. A. GREAT. VILLAIN.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Wed May 11, 2016 2:41 pm

I watched a burly, muscular Caveman God with bird wings shoot armadillo shells like bullets at a Nazi warplane, and then turn said bullets into Piranhas to try and force the plane down from the inside.

Back to mopping up the rest of my brain after watching the first season of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:42 am

I finished off the second and third seasons of JoJo (Stardust Crusaders) and loooved it. Very manly. Manly tears.  Pretty gay at times (this is not a tongue-in-cheek joke or homophobic slurring or something, I'm absolutely convinced the manga writer is/was a closeted gay man in the late 80s/early 90s and this was his outlet for a number of reasons) but I think the manga writer started having a sense of humour about it (Dio's crotch bulge, this scene in general (where two of the Stardust Crusaders have had their bodies magnetized), etc). I wasn't a fan of the poop jokes (literally, jokes or gags involving shit) and there was a character bloodline I was disappointed didn't show up. I loved how they transitioned the powers away from Ripple (which was sort of like Naruto-type chakra) to Stands (kind of spirit-pokemon with special powers and the damage they take transfers to the users). Also I really liked the general episode structure and the feel of the a mission to chase. Jotaro's my favourite JoJo (even if Joseph's shameless stupidity is funny as hell). Great stuff all around.

Also caught up on the fifth season/Part 4 of JoJo (Diamond is Unbreakable) which is 11 episodes so far. We've transitioned away from the other JoJo themes (Part 1 was Victorian England and a rivalry, Part 2 was WWII and kind of an irresponsible idiot and just heavy duty balls-to-the-wall unfiltering of the manga writer's insanity, Part 3 was late 80s and a manly mission) and we're in the late 90s, in high school with suburban nightmares being what seems like the major theme. Josuke's got a pretty cool power too.

Last edited by bomaye on Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:07 pm

Part of me has a small sad that there will likely never be a remaster of the Lensman anime. There was some lovely work in there (and some dorky CG, but it was the early '80s).
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:19 am

So they're producing a 5 episode prequel anime short series for Final Fantasy XV called Brotherhood and I figured I'd check them out because why not.

Episode 2 might end up being better than the actual game itself ;_;
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:55 am

Oops wrong thread
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:06 am

Crossed "watch canon Dragon Ball Z in Japanese and in general" off of the anime bucket list. I found the last 20ish episodes of Dragon Ball Z Kai Buu Saga that didn't get initially subbed, finally finished it off after like first watching it in 1998.

- Saiyan and Frieza Sagas are still great and they flow really well. Would rewatch.
- Android/Cell is when Toriyama started throwing shit at the wall and seeing what stuck. The story wasn't greaaat but the fights were pretty cool and Perfect Cell's Japanese Voice Actor, Norio Wakamoto just makes the character, I have no idea how human being can sound that fucking cool. I'd rewatch moments but not the full thing.
- Buu Saga was pretty bad. More shit at the wall, constant story stops and starts, Toriyama stopped taking it seriously (I think he hated doing it at one time) so there was lot of goofiness and hijinx, the good guys could've won like 90 times during the story but chose not to. I think a lot of people enjoyed the fusions and transformations but I didn't think it helped salvage the story here. Even the DBKai version, which is supposed to be the abridged version that cuts out filler and adheres closer to the manga, still included a shit-ton of filler (some leaked into other sagas because they had to make some things make sense visually, but it was everywhere for no reason here). Would not rewatch.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:30 pm

I'm slowly getting through One Punch Man. Best parts so far:
E2-4:

Last edited by Enail on Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:46 pm

Dat animation, eh?
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:14 pm

Yess!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:05 pm

Hopping back on the One Piece train. I'm like 150ish episodes behind, but I read the manga up to probably another 10-15 episodes past where the anime is at, so with a bit of effort I'll both keep up to it and finish watching the stuff I haven't watched yet.

Doing the same with Pokemon. Sort of. I'm hundreds of episodes behind (way back in Generation 3/Advanced), but Pokemon doesn't really require you to know too much about what came before, and the Sun/Moon dub is incoming (the last dubbed XYZ episode is next week, they've already dubbed the first two Sun and Moon episodes as a preview but are starting the regular series soon), so I think I'll hop on right now and then someday the other stuff that I didn't. Maybe.

(What the fuck did they do to Ash's design?)
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Student Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Anyone who likes shounen and hasn't seen Hunter x Hunter (2011) should do so immediately. I decided to check it out after having read the manga and it's great.

Student

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Yeah, I've heard the same. I'm planning on veering towards that one after being caught up with Attack on Titan, One Piece and Naruto (so probs sometime in like 2020)
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:13 pm

I'm sort of in the middle of Hunter x Hunter. I was initially skeptical because Gon struck me as being one of those characters I'd hate, but I was surprised how quickly he grew on me. I usually like fairly political or psychological stuff in all sorts of entertainment, but I've been having fun with it.

The reason for being sort of in the middle is that a friend with good taste watched Code Geass and told me it was basically made for me (with a warning about a bit of fanservice), so I jumped to watching that before finishing Hunter x Hunter. I will need to catch up with Attack on Titan as well, and yeah, that's probably going to be 2020 for me given that I don't watch a lot of TV and have a couple of non-animated series I'm trying to keep up with as well.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by sky Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:37 am

bomaye wrote:(What the fuck did they do to Ash's design?)

I don't know, but I don't like it! I thought the series was really improving with X,Y, and Z, and I was looking forward to seeing how it grew with sun and moon. I watched a few episodes, and it feels like it's been dumbed back down for younger children who like cartoony characters and repetitive "humor" (the rotom pokedex. ugh.) I guess it's hard to make something enjoyable for a fanbase that ranges from young children to people who were children or older 20 years ago when the first pokemon came out. I might keep watching if I get bored, but so far it's pretty disappointing.
sky
sky

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:50 am

sky wrote:
bomaye wrote:(What the fuck did they do to Ash's design?)

I don't know, but I don't like it!

Huh, he's gone back to looking like a disheveled little kid, instead of the sort of teen-looking thing he had going in the later seasons. I think I like it, if only because IMO it fits the Alola aesthetic.

But Hau isn't in the show? Lame Sad
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:57 pm

Ohooohohohoho, I guess there's a subgroup using the English names, guess I'll use that <.<

Also Part 1 of the Dragon Dentist is really good
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:36 pm

The...Dragon Dentist?
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down