NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Same OLD Stories: Dating Profile/Message Advice

+82
AMischievousGrin
Yoshiland
Mara_
Artanis_Neravar
Passion
fkloa
AndytheBro
inkyfingers
KMR
Paladin
Mme. Lara
Ben Folds Fan 530
bitboy1993
waxingjaney
Number31
AstralDazzle
Xexyz
Tennessee Ed
ferrarimanf355
V
Shajenko
nolorn
Perlandra
Dannyboy
BobTheNinja
Caffeinated
Jane_the_chicken
PintsizeBro
Opwindvogel
WolfBlitzer
Suika
choys
Hirundo Bos
gaboz
Prajnaparamita
Wondering
jcorozza
CP96
sky
Gman
Kurairush
nopenoperson
prettyinpank
Izmuth
TheRoux
ReploidArmada
Solvi
Robjection
LadyIkaros
OneTrueGuest
ggobsessed
azazel
nearly_takuan
The Wisp
readertorider
Mel
Tistur
Kiskadee
Randomly Rolled
PKB
Werel
Nerdator
BiSian
reboot
Girlande
Rowas
Archetype694
Stumbles
MetropolisFan
Ron Ritzman
kath
Gentleman Johnny
IntelligentDice
P_johnston
Enail
kleenestar
fakely mctest
eselle28
nonA
WJMorris3
UristMcBunny
BasedBuzzed
86 posters

Page 3 of 35 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19 ... 35  Next

Go down

The Same OLD Stories: Dating Profile/Message Advice - Page 3 Empty Re: The Same OLD Stories: Dating Profile/Message Advice

Post by Stumbles Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:38 pm

Eh, I'll put mine up. Am I too perky? Is that a thing?

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/Quaffa?cf=profile
Stumbles
Stumbles

Back to top Go down

The Same OLD Stories: Dating Profile/Message Advice - Page 3 Empty Re: The Same OLD Stories: Dating Profile/Message Advice

Post by nearly_takuan Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:56 pm

I freely admit I suck at this.

Stumbles: I don't think you're getting the most out of your "typical Friday night" answer. Try thinking of "Friday" as just a euphemism for whenever your largest chunks of downtime/"free" time usually land. Right now all your current answer signals is that you're unavailable on Friday nights—if someone wanted to have a longer conversation with you, or meet you in person to go do a thing, when would that be possible, and what kinds of things would you want to do?
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Stumbles Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:03 pm

Good point! I'll tweak that section.
Stumbles
Stumbles

Back to top Go down

Post by Archetype694 Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:53 am

After taking a break from OLD I had created a new account.

www.okcupid.com/profile/j-speakeasy

Thoughts?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowas Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:57 am

Not new to DNL, but really new to the forums!
But yeah, could use some pointers...
http://www.okcupid.com/profile/rowas

Thank you for in advance!

Rowas

Back to top Go down

Post by Girlande Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:58 pm

WJMorris3 wrote:I've tweaked my profile just a tad, still need to edit it a bit more.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/CelibateLove

Hopefully this works.

Others have replied already, but one point: In your full-body photos, avoid just letting your arms hang down--it looks awkward. Try putting your hands in your pockets, or lean against a wall and fold your arms. This is a trick I've had to learn myself as a large person.
Girlande
Girlande

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:03 pm

Rowas wrote:Not new to DNL, but really new to the forums!
But yeah, could use some pointers...
http://www.okcupid.com/profile/rowas

Thank you for in advance!

I am having trouble articulating what I find not quite right about this profile. I do know the [Keep scrolling] thing bugged me for no good reason and made me want to stop scrolling.
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:11 pm

I agree with reboot, the keep scrolling thing is funny when you get to the end of the first section because it coincides roughly with the end of the "page" on a normal monitor. But having it at the end of every section seems like taking it a bit far.

I also don't like being dared to message people, it's like, if I don't want to message you by now then taunting me to do so OR I'M CHICKEN just sounds a bit insecure and not very adult. Other than that it's articulate, was a bit confused by the mess of parentheses in the middle though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Girlande Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:18 pm

From Archetype694's profile: "I love learning new things and meeting new people."
From Rowas's profile: "And I love learning new things."

For generic statements like this, it would be good to see an example. For the first one, you went on to say that you're taking improv classes, but that's farther down in the profile. What did you learn from the classes? Not just technique, but maybe an emotional insight?

Rowas, although you have very specific likes (DOCTOR WHO), your profile makes me think that you're kind of aimless (27, never been to college, no job listed); to the question "what are you doing with your life?" you reply that you're still figuring it out--okay, but what are doing? Drinking beer and watching TV? Because that's sort of what it sounds like. Some girls won't, of course, have a problem with that, but some will.
Girlande
Girlande

Back to top Go down

Post by Archetype694 Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:47 pm

Thanks for the input Girlande, I will consider adding to that line or removing it all together.

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:21 pm

Girlande wrote:Others have replied already, but one point: In your full-body photos, avoid just letting your arms hang down--it looks awkward. Try putting your hands in your pockets, or lean against a wall and fold your arms. This is a trick I've had to learn myself as a large person.

You know, this is the first time I've actually heard of the idea of putting your hands in your pockets for a picture. I'll keep it in mind!

Back to top Go down

Post by Girlande Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:08 pm

WJMorris3 wrote:
You know, this is the first time I've actually heard of the idea of putting your hands in your pockets for a picture. I'll keep it in mind!

You also might want to check out this link: http://digital-photography-school.com/21-sample-poses-to-get-you-started-with-photographing-men/
There are a bunch of variations worth trying out.
Girlande
Girlande

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:10 am

OK, Cupids, I decided to try this OKCupid thing again. Neutral I don't think I've ever had my profile looked over by, well, anyone (aside from people who come across it in the normal way of things, of course), so I figure it's about time.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/Autumnesque

I am strongly considering putting "I'm a feminist. BOO!" in the "most private thing you'll admit" section. Good idea? Terrible idea? Funny idea?

Back to top Go down

Post by BiSian Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:55 am

Funny idea. You should definitely do it!
BiSian
BiSian

http://thepurplebackpack.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:01 am

Doesn't your "spend a lot of time thinking about" bit already say you're a scary feminist?
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:21 am

Like all qualifiers, imply what it means in practice, because putting in 'feminist' is just as non-descript as putting in 'gamer'(which could mean anything from the occassional bout of Nintendo all the way to having to plan nights off in order to raid).

Is it just your beliefs or are you actually an activist? Do you have a feminist role model that is an easy shorthand on your beliefs? Do you put emphasis on an aspect like intersectionality or sex-positivity?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:28 pm

@nearly: It implies it, inasmuch as I spend time thinking about gender theory, but doesn't explicitly state it. (Probably implies more that I'm a scary SJW, in total. But it might attract/repulse the same kinds of people that the joke would.)

@Based: Eh. Sounds like a lot of effort for a one-off joke. Smile

It's kind of weird coming back to an old profile after some time away. It feels kind of flat and like it doesn't totally apply any more, perhaps mostly because I don't really identify as a nerd as the first thing about me any more.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nerdator Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:59 pm

Autumnflame wrote:OK, Cupids, I decided to try this OKCupid thing again. Neutral I don't think I've ever had my profile looked over by, well, anyone (aside from people who come across it in the normal way of things, of course), so I figure it's about time.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/Autumnesque

I am strongly considering putting "I'm a feminist. BOO!" in the "most private thing you'll admit" section. Good idea? Terrible idea? Funny idea?

I'd say that the feminist bit fits this section much better than what you have there now. The scar might be impressive, but is it important, or something you'd normally disclose in a conversation with someone you're interested in, but don't know? I think that the 'The most private thing you'll admit' section is asking for a (semi-)joke, not for the actual private bodily bits/pimples/warts that you have or don't.

(Also, I dare you to confess how many of your children you have assassinated just because you've got Primogeniture and your Strong Genius son doesn't happen to be your first-born.  :twisted: )
Nerdator
Nerdator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:57 pm

Not particularly important, but it is something I freely admit/am a bit proud of because I think it looks badass. Smile It's actually not very private at all.

Confession time: I never did assassinate my own kids. I'd just squirrel them away in a convent, or deal with the fallout, or change to an elective succession as soon as possible. Other rulers' kids, though... (sorry, the entire line under the Spanish emperor, but you had to go!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:21 pm

@Autumnflame, the first section reads like you're already on the defensive about your nerd cred; while I have no doubt you've had plenty of experiences leading you to be defensive about it, give the reader some credit before assuming they're an elitist jerkoff. Similarly, a lot of it comes off like "here's some stuff I'm dissatisfied with about myself" (don't read enough, don't play enough video games, too lazy, bad habit of not finishing TV shows [is that even really a bad habit??]) which isn't usually the first thing you bring up when trying to make a good impression with strangers. Self-deprecation can be humor gold and very charming, but it's a tough line to walk successfully. I'd go with lightening up on the whole "you may hate this about me, but don't worry, I already hate it! Got it covered!"

But my main comment is WHY IS YOUR HAIR SO CUTE ALL THE TIME OH MY GOD. Such good cut/color choices! Such kicky outfits to go with them! AHHH your whole look is great. You're making me seriously yearn for the days when I didn't have to have normal hair for work. Wink
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Nerdator Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:01 pm

Autumnflame wrote:Not particularly important, but it is something I freely admit/am a bit proud of because I think it looks badass. Smile It's actually not very private at all.

Confession time: I never did assassinate my own kids. I'd just squirrel them away in a convent, or deal with the fallout, or change to an elective succession as soon as possible. Other rulers' kids, though... (sorry, the entire line under the Spanish emperor, but you had to go!)

Well, the scar bit there sounds a little like too much information to the repressed 'ole me. The feminist line certainly fits well there anyway.

(yes, Elective for the win. And other people's children are just asking for it. Suspect )
Nerdator
Nerdator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:06 pm

@Werel: Interesting! That was not at all the frame of mind in which I wrote it (my ego is pretty healthy, trust), I'm surprised it comes off that way. (I've never actually had to defend my nerd status, or if I have then I've forgotten it.  ... bad memory may in fact be the key to happiness.) I guess my sense of humor does tend toward the dry and self-deprecating, though. Given as I was aiming to rewrite it in a way that felt less awkward and dry, I will go more for slightly whimsical than self-deprecating. Smile

Also: awww, thanks! You'll make me blush Smile I've felt pretty fortunate that I've always had jobs where I could do what I would with my hair!

@Nerdator: Hm. Maybe it's a good litmus test then? I'm pretty brazen and do better with similar hussies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:53 pm

Updated!

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:10 pm

@Autumnflame: Cool. FWIW, I liked your self-summary thing before, too—didn't notice it could read as "negative" until Werel pointed it out—but I like this new one better.

I might end up just letting this thing be a "zombie" anyway, but... eh, might as well see if anything stands out to other folks. [link]

I'm a little annoyed that some of my sentences only managed to say one thing, but also a little worried that I'm already "trying too hard" putting positive spins on things and trying to sneak in hints that I'm not boring.

Last edited by nearly_takuan on Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:59 pm

nearly_takuan: the updated profile and the new main photo are both looking good! New pic is sardonic while still seeming approachable. And I'll say it again, you are super flippin' cute*.

*I apologize if you hate hearing this from me, given our first interaction on the old forums. Razz
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 35 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19 ... 35  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum