NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help! What Am I?

4 posters

Go down

Help! What Am I? Empty Help! What Am I?

Post by reboundstudent Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:54 pm

So guys I am utterly exhausted! I've spent years and years and years trying to define my body shape, and my face shape, to better dress myself and look attractive. But no matter what calculator I use, it never seems to come out correctly.

For example, I thought my face was round. However, descriptions for "round" faces say cheekbones are the most prominent feature. I have no real cheekbones to speak of. My body shape has been everything from a Pear to an Hourglass to Straight. (My measurements are 36.5 bust, 31.2 waist, 38.5 hips.) I appear to have a short torso and long arms (I'm a gorilla!)

Anybody found a real good way to figure out what they are? Or is anybody out there really good at spotting body shape? Maybe just another pair of eyes looking at me would help. Thank you!
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Help! What Am I? Empty Re: Help! What Am I?

Post by Enail Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:08 pm

I've never heard the cheekbone thing for round faces. Maybe it's more like the part of your face that's the widest is around the height of your cheekbones, no matter how prominent the cheekbones are?  Do you find you look good with the styles that they suggest for round faces?

I found a calculator here, if that's of any use. However, their advice for my body type didn't match what looks good on me all that well, so whether you take that as a sign that it's not that good a site or that the whole concept of body shapes is too broad a guideline to really reflect individual looks (I think the latter), don't take it as religion.

There are a number of other body shape calculators out there, but all the other ones I tried actually got my shape wrong (I have a very clear type, so I found that pretty weird), so I think there's just so little agreement in this whole concept that it's not very useful for a lot of people.

Instead of going for body shape, what I prefer is dressing for your proportion of torso to leg length, whether you're the kind of person who is wide side to side or the kind that's more front to back (no one ever mentions this in clothing advice, but I think it makes a difference to what looks good, though unfortunately since no one gives advice for it it's kind of trial and error to figure out what difference it makes to what looks good!) and picking an area or body part to highlight.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:35 am

What's the goal with figuring out your face shape? Flattering haircut?

I think seeing if you can find a buddy whose style you like, and who you think pulls it off (and maybe one who you think might have a non-conventional-beauty-standards-approved body type) to go shopping with you (and maybe at a thrift store and bringing pins, so you could plan how to alter things), that might work best. I feel like the rules are very ... well they're also going off one specific standard of what they expect "non-standard" to look like, and that's not a thing any more than the conventionally-approved standard is a thing.

Maybe if over the next few months you did a photo-a-day and made a thread posting all of them (probably ideally all at once), and wearing a variety of types of clothes (different cuts / lengths / colours etc), and ideally photographing them all in similar posture, lighting, and surroundings .... maybe we could sort of be that second set of eyes? I think we'd need a good volume and variety to work from, so I don't think posting 1-2 pictures would give a good context, but several would hopefully work.

(It seems like the body shape thing is like getting your colours done. I can never get past the first step.)
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayce Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:11 am

Marty have you tried asking your hair stylist about your face shape? I never knew my face shape was oval until I asked a hairstylist. Similarly I think it can be a good idea to go in a store where they sell trendy clothes and ask someone there, what your body shape is.

People who sell you clothes and hairstylists might be more knowledgeable on these topics, at least from my experience, they helped me out on those stuff.

Jayce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum