NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now THAT is scary

4 posters

Go down

Now THAT is scary Empty Now THAT is scary

Post by reboot Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:20 pm

This is a thread to share anything scary, spooky, etc. that you heard or are dealing with. No critiquing what other people are afraid of. This is all about support/commiseration

My friend told me something kind of scary. She is a psychiatrist who does a lot of competency hearings for criminal trials. Yesterday she interviewed an accused attempted rapist who actually frightened her enough that she warned me and Rooms to be on the lookout for him in our neighborhood (she lives across the street) because she is concerned that this guy might get bail and come after her. Now this is a woman who has interviewed 1000s of murderers, rapists, etc and does not spook easily. It does not help that his attempted rape (and prior rapes he was convicted for) occurred within a 5 block radius of our houses.

Kind of spooky and please no bail!
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Now THAT is scary Empty Re: Now THAT is scary

Post by Guest Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:40 pm

Oh shit. D:

Does your roomie still pack some heat? Or was that another roomie? Anyway, yeah I'd be especially spooked since it happened so close. Sad

Something creepy for me is, i saw on the Megan's Law website a few child predators living a block away from *my* house and that terrified me when my brother was little.

Recently, last summer there were a series of rapes in the North Park area of San Diego and a bunch more at San Diego State University. Thankfully, my sister moved back home with us before that started happening, but I worried a lot for a friend who lived close to the SDSU campus too. Sad

The silver lining to this tho, is there are people willing to help such as My 63-year old audio professor, who lives by SDSU and collect firearms.

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:55 pm

Oh yeah, he is still packing heat, so that is all OK. Biggest thing that freaked me out was my friend being scared enough to ask us to keep our eyes open. This is not her first assessment of a rapist or murderer in our neighborhood and she deals with some really hardcore criminals/predators daily, but she said this is the first one who scared her. Scary!

I would be worried for your friend too. Campuses have too many people out and about to be able to easily identify someone who might be on the prowl for victims.
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:59 pm

My boyfriend's roommate had what sounds like a paranoid schizophrenic break and spent a few days incoherently raving about how he can't trust anyone in the apartment and should just burn it down. Apparently because boyfriend is bipolar that totally makes him a qualified medical professional who was solely entrusted with constantly sitting with landlord every single night until 3 am and plying him with weed and booze until he finally passes out and everybody can go back to pretended that this is some peculiar little quirk on the part of the man because the rent is low and no questions are asked.

This is why I consider coming over to my place and risking my parents walking in on us the lesser of two bad options. Just because he's your friend and has done some nice things for you on occasion doesn't mean he isn't in need serious help or you just need to give up some more of your boundaries in order to coddle him.
Prajnaparamita
Prajnaparamita

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:07 pm

My mum's health is pretty scary right now. We don't know what the source of the problem is, but intense pangs of pain that require her to be carted to the hospital for pain relief is not good.

It's terrifying to see your loved ones in pain and you can't do anything to help.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:11 am

reboot wrote:Oh yeah, he is still packing heat, so that is all OK. Biggest thing that freaked me out was my friend being scared enough to ask us to keep our eyes open. This is not her first assessment of a rapist or murderer in our neighborhood and she deals with some really hardcore criminals/predators daily, but she said this is the first one who scared her. Scary!

I would be worried for your friend too. Campuses have too many people out and about to be able to easily identify someone who might be on the prowl for victims.

Well that's good, at least you live in a state where a piece isn't looked down upon like it is in California lol. So I take it this dude musta been a real piece of work to have spooked her this bad.

And my friend is fine, she actually moved last summer further away from campus and actually toward the coast. So that's good. Razz

MapWater wrote:My mum's health is pretty scary right now. We don't know what the source of the problem is, but intense pangs of pain that require her to be carted to the hospital for pain relief is not good.

It's terrifying to see your loved ones in pain and you can't do anything to help.

Dude I feel ya. My mom last year got a hysterectomy and I had to take her to the emergency room a few days after her surgery. That was a scary situation, I won't tell you the rest of the story cuz I don't want you to worry about your own mum, bud. :3

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:12 am

MapWater wrote:My mum's health is pretty scary right now. We don't know what the source of the problem is, but intense pangs of pain that require her to be carted to the hospital for pain relief is not good.

Oh man, do I hear you! It is such a terrible feeling of helplessness and ineffectuality. And then with the uncertainty added in.....So stressful and frightening. The diagnostic period is often so long, too, which is not something anyone expects. It always seems like they should know after a few tests but then sometimes it takes months/years :/

I wish there was more I could do than say I hope everything turns out OK, but there is not.
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:10 pm

Nothing too recent. I was nearly hit by a car speeding through a red light once. If not for the fact that I always hesitate a second or two before stepping into the street even when the walk sign is lit I would have been smacked by the car as it breezed through the red light without slowing down.

Once when I was fifteen or sixteen and walking back from the store by myself I had a man in a car, who was trying to get my attention, turn around in the parking lot and stop his car in front of me to cut off my path so he could get out and talk to me. It made me uncomfortable then, having a 20+ year old man trying to talk to a girl who'd told him she was actually 11 years old (I'd been told many times I looked like a little kid by other people), as I got older and learned more it became scarier especially when I consider what he could have done instead of just letting me eventually walk around his car and go home.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:28 am

What's scary, is the idea that the only common factor for why your life isn't ideal is, well....you. The fact that in the end, it'll always be your fault for not being lucky enough and that there isn't much you can do to stop this self-fulfilling prophecy machine. Self awareness is scary and so is independence and the chance of being seen as incompetent. What's scary is being expected to make the climb on your own, while knowing that not everyone 'makes it' in this life.

Back to top Go down

Post by InkAndComb Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:53 am

HermitTheToad wrote:....while knowing that not everyone 'makes it' in this life.

I've been through a lot of special programs.  Like...a LOT.  I have ADHD and MDD, but there were many points where people didn't know what to do with me in life.  In all of these after school programs with carpetted "time out" rooms, these "staff members" that were very assertive about physical restraints, these kids with me seemed..well, ok, and some from really really bad homes....

...and now none of them are ok.  Every. Single. Person. I have met from the same programs as me is a traumatized mess, and I say that with compassion.  2 are drug dealers, one had an emotional breakdown and never 'came back', one completely revamped her personality and deals with crippling depression far worse than mine, my closest friend ended up having delusions of everyone around her abusing her because she couldn't accept her father did, I am pretty sure at least 3 committed suicide... These programs weren't like, the "last stop".  Most of these kids had managed to avoid juvie (though not all of them), and many were in public schools and functioning as best they could.  Young enough to not be public menances really, big enough to be trouble.
and here I am.  What's going to happen to me?  What was the thing that made ME do ok versus them? I know we are different people, but we shared a lot of similar experiences, and even those that are different...how could they fall so far? Where were these 'correctional' people when they were selfharming? What about the kids who came in with dirty clothes, and got punished for 'bad hygiene'?

And I'm going into the same field as all these 'helpers' who hurt these people; I'm going to fight the battle, but what if that's what the staff members wanted too? I don't know.  It's scary.  I feel like I'm next... I don't want to become the adult that harms people by trying to help. It's terrifying to see the logic behind the actions of those that DID do just that in my courses in SW.
InkAndComb
InkAndComb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum