Worst fictional couples

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Worst fictional couples

Post by eselle28 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:38 pm

kath wrote:
I would have suggested Heathcliffe and Catherine but I haven't actually read the book so I thought it would be bad form :p.

I kind of feel like these two shouldn't count since the portrayal was intentionally one of a toxic relationship between two awful people.
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:27 am

Yeah, Heathcliff and Catherine are both assholes.

I'm pro Elizabeth and Darcy. Very much so.

I think Buffy and Riley were absolutely awful. Riley's all turned on by her being strong in this really fetishizing way, but when things get tough slayer-wise, he starts giving her ultimatums. Ugh.

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chickpea Sarada on Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:27 am

Sorry, anime example.

Pretty much every couple that spends 90% of their "bonding" time bickering or one beating up the other.  It's not funny, writers!

One classic example is Ranma and Akane.  And that's a shame because it's one of my favorite manga/anime.  What always got 15-year-old me so angry regarding Akane is how she is a shitty communicator.  Hit first, listen never.  I was glad that the manga series ended with them putting off marriage until they have worked out their issues because boy howdy are there issues.
Chickpea Sarada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by skullbearer on Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:32 am

Tony Stark/Pepper Potts in the movies. Particularly after IM3. It's just... toxic all around, they have almost nothing in common, they have no respect for each others' passions (Pepper running Stark Enterprises, Tony being Iron Man), they don't seem to do anything around each other that isn't fighting. The weird thing is I love both these characters to bits, but together? I NOPE right out of there.

And I really like all the other relationships in Marvel movieverse Sad
skullbearer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aggrax on Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:36 pm

Chickpea Sarada wrote:Sorry, anime example.

Pretty much every couple that spends 90% of their "bonding" time bickering or one beating up the other.  It's not funny, writers!

One classic example is Ranma and Akane.  And that's a shame because it's one of my favorite manga/anime.  What always got 15-year-old me so angry regarding Akane is how she is a shitty communicator.  Hit first, listen never.  I was glad that the manga series ended with them putting off marriage until they have worked out their issues because boy howdy are there issues.

Dear God do I hate it when an anime does that. Anytime a show leans on the comedy trope of "He's accidentally a pervert, lets beat the stuffing out of him" I just cringe and shut it off. Love-Hina is the worst offender in my eyes but there are so many others. It could all be solved by locks on the bathroom doors but no one ever figures it out.

I've also started reading 50 Shades and Good Lord everyone in this book is horrible. It's the fourth worst book I think I've ever read in my life. (1-3 still belongs to the absolutely horrible Touched by Venom trilogy)
Aggrax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fakely mctest on Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:01 pm

Wondering wrote:Yeah, Heathcliff and Catherine are both assholes.

I'm pro Elizabeth and Darcy. Very much so.

I think Heathcliff and Cathy were supposed to be assholes, which sort of works for me in retrospect -- the sins and jagged edges of the past that are smoothed out in the younger generation.  In practice, of course, I was like: when do they both die again?  Not even fun to hate.

I'm also pro-P&P couples.  Emma and Mr. Knightley give me the wiggins though because he seems sort of patronizing and she's kind of an asshole.  And then it gets to the end where she's become a more empathetic person and he's all, "I totally would have married you when you were a jerk!"  And I'm like what did I just read. scratch

As much as it deeply pains me to criticize Batman the Animated Series universe, the fact that Barbara Gordon and Bruce Wayne got together at some point after she and Dick Grayson broke up is, like, 10 thousand kinds of messed up.  Not only are Bruce and Dick basically father and son, the relationships between the Robins, Batgirl, and Batman in the series were always treated in a parent-child sort of way.  To me, it feels like you get dropped into a gross Frank Miller universe for a second there and BTAS is basically the anti-Miller in all other ways.

Nick and Nora Charles in all forms of media are basically my ideal couple.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny on Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:57 pm

I feel like everyone missed the ultimate low hanging fruit.

Joker and Harley.

Gentleman Johnny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by skullbearer on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:06 pm

Well, they're not held up as a healthy couple.
skullbearer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:21 pm

A couple new nominees:

Ross and Rachel, from Friends. Those two were a years-long example of the harm done by making impulsive relationship decisions, arguing unproductively, not being able to let go of present or past jealousies, and not knowing when to take the nuclear option.

The Beast and Belle, in pretty much any version of the story. The Disney one is the least objectionable, and definitely better than the Once Upon a Time version, but there's really no way to make the story so that it's not about Stockholm Syndrome.

Any couple in an Ayn Rand novel, especially the ones that the author obviously means to be together. Horrible people doing horrible things, with a side of rape.
eselle28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:16 pm

eselle28 wrote:The Beast and Belle, in pretty much any version of the story. The Disney one is the least objectionable, and definitely better than the Once Upon a Time version, but there's really no way to make the story so that it's not about Stockholm Syndrome.

Yes. And as an aside, I'm concerned about the live action one they're making and how Emma Watson is playing Belle. And seems excited about doing so. Because even if they change it from the original Disney version like they have with several recent live action Disney movies, I don't see how you can get away from the Stockholm thing. And with Emma Watson being such a publicly prominent feminist, I worry that will convey a feminist stamp of approval on it.

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:06 pm

Wondering wrote:
eselle28 wrote:The Beast and Belle, in pretty much any version of the story. The Disney one is the least objectionable, and definitely better than the Once Upon a Time version, but there's really no way to make the story so that it's not about Stockholm Syndrome.

Yes. And as an aside, I'm concerned about the live action one they're making and how Emma Watson is playing Belle. And seems excited about doing so. Because even if they change it from the original Disney version like they have with several recent live action Disney movies, I don't see how you can get away from the Stockholm thing. And with Emma Watson being such a publicly prominent feminist, I worry that will convey a feminist stamp of approval on it.

Ugh. Yeah. I'm not so crazy about the idea of that movie. I feel for Emma Watson, since taking a political stand and then not ever taking a problematic role seems like an impossible and incredibly limiting expectation of a performer, especially a female one who's competing for a smaller number of substantive lead roles than a man would be. That being said, I wish they'd find something else to remake and cast her in.
eselle28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny on Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:15 am

skullbearer wrote:Well, they're not held up as a healthy couple.

That's a surface truth. You still see a lot of geek couples (or at least I do) who compare themselves to those two.

Gentleman Johnny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:02 am

Gentleman Johnny wrote:

That's a surface truth. You still see a lot of geek couples (or at least I do) who compare themselves to those two.

Yeah, it is very prevalent in my social circles and I.... feel very uncomfortable about it. Like, I can understand saying "There's something about Joker/Harley that turns my crank, but I recognize them as unhealthy and an 'idealistic' abusive relationship*", but that doesn't seem to be what I observe. Instead I observe folks who really, genuinely think Joker/Harley are romantic and "quirky-cute." It's also very strange because I frequently see the same geeks who will take other abusive relationship portrayals to task (50 Shades of Gray, for example) yet think Joker/Harley is totally squee-worthy. The fandom love for that couple is one of those unexplained mysteries of the nerd I just can't process.

*By idealistic abusive relationship, I mean one in which there's emotional or physical abusive, but it never seems to have any lasting damage or impact and the "abused" is seen as buying into or enjoying it.
reboundstudent

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:14 pm

Gentleman Johnny wrote:

Yikes. I mean, I suppose I'm not surprised given how many other terrible relationships are interpreted as romantic, but that's a pretty scary role model.

The only one I've heard of that was worse was a woman who dated her former professional mentor who sometimes referred to him as her Phantom of the Opera.
eselle28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent on Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:16 pm

eselle28 wrote:

The only one I've heard of that was worse was a woman who dated her former professional mentor who sometimes referred to him as her Phantom of the Opera.

reboundstudent

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny on Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:31 pm

Just type "Joker And Harley" into Google Image (Safe Search on. . .OOOOOOOON) and you'll see it. Then again, the closest thing Batman usually has to a functional couple is Mr. and Nora Freeze, so maybe that's just asking too much.

Gentleman Johnny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot on Thu May 28, 2015 1:32 am

Not the best spot for this, but between Season 1 and Season 2 of Red Road the Jensens actually become a good fictional couple, one of whom is dealing with mental health issues
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum