NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DC Comics Geography

5 posters

Go down

DC Comics Geography Empty DC Comics Geography

Post by celette482 Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:23 am

So I'm watching the Flash, having a lovely time, and I'm starting to feel disoriented. Where in the blue blazes ARE we? I always thought Marvel was smart to stick to real world cities, since they can always make up things within a real city (though DC's habit of dividing up the country into bailiwicks also makes sense. Not everyone needs to be in New York, occasionally Oklahoma or San Francisco. According to the Runaways, Marvel LA must be the least superheroed city in the world. Someone, preferably with flight, should take care of that.)

But! That makes me wonder where the heck all these places are. Am I supposed to suspend disbelief for a while? I just want basic facts like "Is there a river? An ocean? is it cold?" I found this fan-made map and I notice that the cities they chose to keep real were San Francisco, Huoma (which is less swampy and more bayou, there Swamp Thing. You'd want to go more inland for a real swamp), and Washington DC. Washington makes sense at least.

Anyone have a more definitive answer?
celette482
celette482

Back to top Go down

DC Comics Geography Empty Re: DC Comics Geography

Post by Enail Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:27 pm

No answer (I'm not even watching the show) but I'd be curious to see the map if you have a link!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:36 pm

celette482 wrote:Huoma (which is less swampy and more bayou, there Swamp Thing. You'd want to go more inland for a real swamp)

Wait, there's a difference between a swamp and a bayou? I thought they were just different words for the same thing.
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:49 pm

Caffeinated wrote:
celette482 wrote:Huoma (which is less swampy and more bayou, there Swamp Thing. You'd want to go more inland for a real swamp)

Wait, there's a difference between a swamp and a bayou? I thought they were just different words for the same thing.

Swamps are supposed to denote forestation, I'm pretty sure. Bayou's are more like a flat wetland.

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:53 pm

MapWater wrote:
Caffeinated wrote:

Swamps are supposed to denote forestation, I'm pretty sure. Bayou's are more like a flat wetland.

I believe bayou refers to a swap in a specific temperate area--for instance in the hot, humid American south--misty and Spanish moss everywhere. For instance, you won't find bayou in say, Canada.

ETA: noun, (in the southern US) a marshy outlet of a lake or river.
mid 18th century: from Louisiana French, from Choctaw bayuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:08 pm

Prajnaparamita wrote:
MapWater wrote:
Caffeinated wrote:

Huh, I always thought it was the other way around. And I believe bayou refers to a swap in a specific temperate area--for instance in the hot, humid American south--misty and Spanish moss everywhere. For instance, you won't find bayou in say, Canada.

Not sure about the specifics of a bayou (Australia doesn't have any down south where I live at least), but I was always taught that the following are wetlands with the following special features:

Marshes = smaller plants like reeds (I have no idea what types of plants these are considered... Not trees? Laughing )
Swamps = forestation
Mires = fens and bogs (lots of peat, but different water chemistry)

But I live in a country that does not have many of any of these, so apply a pinch of salt as needed.

Back to top Go down

Post by celette482 Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:53 pm

Here is the map: http://www.comicvine.com/images/1300-4002838

Bayous are basically estuaries, where salt and fresh water meet. Definitely NO trees, flat as the eye can see with grasses growing up through the water. Even on the dry land it's too close to the ocean to get good trees. Like a marsh, but brackish. A place like Huoma, or where my dad's family is from, Grand Isle, is more water than land it feels like.

According to this map, Central City is Kansas City, MO.

I get having new cities, but what about states? Can I at least get a coast?
celette482
celette482

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:17 pm

The Flash/Central City is set in the midwest. Flash has also been set before in two cities (Keystone, I think it was a set-up sort of like St Louis and Kansas City) because he's fast enough to watch over both of them.

Arrow/Star/Starling City is either Seattle or NorCal

Metropolis is New York at day, Gotham is New York at night. I think that would make Bludhaven New Jersey.

Keep in mind too, actual New York, Seattle etc still exist in the DCU. Their map of the United States would be really off compared to the real one
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum