Sex ed curriculum

Go down

Sex ed curriculum

Post by Enail on Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:26 pm

I'm pretty impressed with the new Ontario sex ed curriculum. It includes interpersonal skills, relationships and self-awareness; things like non-verbal signals, gender expression, mental health and decision-making.

The only thing I find kind of weird is that they're learning about same-sex relationships in grade 3. In a place where gay marriage has been legal for more than a decade and where same sex relationships are pretty much politically uncontroversial, it seems a little weird to specifically learn about them separately from other relationships. But I guess kids are going to be getting other messages about them that might need to be addressed?
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sex ed curriculum

Post by The Wisp on Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:57 pm

That does seem to be a pretty well designed program. I particularly like that they discuss mental health in the tail end of high school (though, honestly, I'd put that at the beginning of high school, personally, or even 8th grade, as that's when mental health issues really tend to start worsening in many people).

I agree the same-sex relationships thing is weird to be addressed separately in Canada. Are there, perhaps, some rural areas where people might not be exposed to homosexual at all in Ontario?

But yeah, I'm impressed. I think it is very good. Which isn't to say it couldn't be better. I think they probably could add stuff about casual sex, and the skills to get into and initially build a friendship or romantic/sexual relationship (most of the social skills stuff seems focused on consent and skills within relationships). But that's nitpicking on my part (and really, my opinion doesn't matter as I'm not Canadian, let alone Ontarian Razz)
The Wisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:33 pm

Yeah, I thought mental health should start around grade 6 or 7, that's when I first remember it becoming a big issue for a lot of people. I liked that they started right in grade 1 with non-verbal signals, that seems like one of those things that a lot of people who have trouble with social skills wish someone would have told them early on, and it's useful for all kinds of interpersonal relationships. Actually, the part that was a pleasant surprise for me was the incorporation of more emotional/interpersonal topics rather than the rather technical "this is what puberty involves, this is how you do safe sex" education we got when I was in school.

I imagine they would consider casual sex too controversial a topic to try and address directly as its own topic (though I hope the stuff about decision-making would apply)..
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot on Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:44 pm

I am not sure what skills would be involved with casual sex that would be different than any ethical sexual relationship? Timeframe would not have an impact that I can think of????

Definitely agree that mental health teaching should start earlier and homosexual relationships should just be incorporated into all relationship discussions since genitalia is pretty irrelevant to relationship skills. Also agree on initial friendship/relationship skills being taught.

Overall, though, a good curriculum and light years ahead of what I got when they used to split the class by gender to teach about the plumbing (and that was all we gt 1/2 hour. I learned more in biology)
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan on Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:00 pm

Holy shit. Yeah. Yep. Even the stuff they are talking about "moving" (implying it was previously taught in some other grade) sounds for the most part like stuff I ended up doing... independent research on when in middle/high school and even college I found out there was stuff I didn't know about via peers speaking in innuendo.

So, cheers to Ontario. This thing is literally going to save lives.
nearly_takuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated on Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:04 pm

It would be great if this could become a universal curriculum, or a model for one.
Caffeinated

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:15 pm

A lot of the stuff they're implying was previously taught, I definitely don't remember learning (apparently the curriculum hadn't previously been updated since I was in high school, which is insane!), so I do think a little skepticism is probably warranted.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum