Rants

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Rants

Post by nearly_takuan on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:13 am

I used to play League o' Legends in my college computer lab, because I couldn't get a good Internet connection anywhere else on campus. But only when nobody else was there to study. (CS students had exclusive access to that particular lab during certain hours, no matter what we used it for.)
nearly_takuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed on Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:48 am

The Wisp wrote:I kinda thought the "1 in 5 women are raped" stat was common knowledge at this point, yet when I used the stat in an essay, both the teacher and a student who was critiquing my paper were shocked and questioned it (though it didn't affect my grade, I got a high A). Sometimes it's easy to forget how self-selected the bubbles you live in are, especially on the internet.

ETA: Unrelated, but there are a ton of assholes in the competitive video gaming scene. I like the idea of competitive professional gaming, but the communities aren't fun to be a part of. Even Starcraft II, which has a reputation for drawing a more mature audience, is still has a disproportionate number of assholes in the community compared to the fandoms of sports teams.

No, it's that 1 in 5 are sexually assaulted(12.6% for attempted and 13.7% for completed, some victims counted in both categories so it adds up to about 20%), with a large majority of victims being on the level of actual sex(so no dismissing the statistic as "it's all butt-grabbing and unwanted kissing anyways"). It's also worth noting that there's less ambiguity to the ever-present "can you still consent when drunk" dilemma due to the way the question is phrased: it parses less ambiguous on incapitation than the "have you ever had sex while intoxicated" silliness of previous iterations. Be very careful about thinking other people live in bubbles, because it can cause you to not dig deeper yourself.

Related to this, I hate the realization that people embrace simple truths over ambiguity because humans simply don't have the time and bandwidth to get a nuanced view of things 24/7 and still get anything done.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:36 am

Your ex's behaviour is all kinds of NOPE, reboot. I know that you know that, but it's always reassuring to hear that other people also recognise that he has passed the crossroads of NOPE, traversed the fields of WTF and sped straight into the abyss of WHATTHEHELLISWRONGWITHYOU.

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:47 am

embertine wrote:Your ex's behaviour is all kinds of NOPE, reboot.  I know that you know that, but it's always reassuring to hear that other people also recognise that he has passed the crossroads of NOPE, traversed the fields of WTF and sped straight into the abyss of WHATTHEHELLISWRONGWITHYOU.

That he did.

I did feel good hanging up on him without a word after his little closure spiel and then telling the hotel I was taking no calls for the rest of the conference. Best part of the whole story is he is the one who asked for a divorce only this time instead of begging him to stay, I signed the papers and moved out, so he wants closure on a relationship he ended.
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:45 pm

The Mikey wrote:
You know what really grinds my gears? When at work (I work in a college computer lab) people hog up an entire row of computers (there's 7 to 8 PCs in a row) to play fucking League of Legends. I shudder typing out the title to that awful game. Add insult to injury, these people don't shut the fuck up, this is a goddamn study area! Please! silent

I can relate. We have a similar issue in the college library of people hogging all the PC's (including the visually impaired one) to play games during particularly homework-heavy times, making noise and eating. Actually, making noise and eating is a problem all over the library Sad

Unrelated: not looking forward to the book club meeting today. If this coworker asks me what I thought of the book he chose I might start on a negative rant that may never stop.

Last edited by caliseivy on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : used the wrong word somewhere)
caliseivy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:54 pm

At this point, I'm pretty sure that the weather gods have it in for me personally. Uh-oh
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp on Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:41 am

Feeling very lonely and bitter and angry about it. I wish there was a person I could blame and justly take my anger out on. Alas, is all my fault.

ETA: For the record, not in danger of self-harm, if that was implied.
The Wisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:16 am

I'm sorry to read that, Wisp. I hope it washes out.

I have exams coming up and have absolutely no desire to study. To make things more difficult, I'm feeling generally unpleasant and uncomfortable. I had a very uncomfortable confrontation some time ago and it's stifling to be in this house.

Back to top Go down

Post by nonA on Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:43 am

reboot wrote:That he did.

I did feel good hanging up on him without a word after his little closure spiel and then telling the hotel I was taking no calls for the rest of the conference. Best part of the whole story is he is the one who asked for a divorce only this time instead of begging him to stay, I signed the papers and moved out, so he wants closure on a relationship he ended.

It's always a spiel, too.

Has anyone seeking closure ever said "I just wanted to apologize for being such a shit", and then let the other person decided what they wanted to do from there?

nonA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection on Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:31 am

Dear Norton 360

Now you decide to prevent me from browsing the internet, first in Firefox, then in Google Chrome? Welp, I gave you a chance to improve.

Sincerely yours,
Robjection

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:16 pm

Ugh. I'm really sorry to hear about all that, reboot. And calling you at a hotel? WTF. Kudos on hanging up on him, though.

Has anyone seeking closure ever said "I just wanted to apologize for being such a shit", and then let the other person decided what they wanted to do from there?

Mine didn't. I eventually had to get a no-contact order to get him to stop calling or emailing every couple months asking for closure. The judge told him he'd gotten his closure: The relationship was over, and I didn't want to talk to him. That judge was great.

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:08 am

Robjection wrote:Dear Norton 360

Now you decide to prevent me from browsing the internet, first in Firefox, then in Google Chrome? Welp, I gave you a chance to improve.

Sincerely yours,
Robjection

I guess you can say Norton 360 got... Robjected.

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAH. Shiny/thrilled

i regret nothing

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:44 am

Yeah, so Lady From the Liquor Store Who Asked About My Purse: I'm really sorry for being a socially awkward jackass. I'm sure you were expecting something more than a "Yes...Oh, thank you!" when you offered "Is that a Brand X bag?...Oh, it's very pretty!" I mean, I have a reasonably entertaining story about my friend who works at Brand X sending me emails whenever the supersale happens. I just had kind of tapped out my limited conversational skills on the saleswoman and the woman in front of me by the time you said something (and also have hearing loss and was super embarrassed when I had to have your hello repeated to me by the poor saleswoman). Again, sorry.
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:33 pm

OKC, you're crushing me like a cheese sandwich, stop giving me awesome matches that are so far away. ; ~;

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:27 pm

The Mikey wrote:OKC, you're crushing me like a cheese sandwich, stop giving me awesome matches that are so far away. ; ~;

Better to have awesome matches than none at all, though...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sky on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:34 am

I don't even know where to start. I am an introvert, currently stuck living in a studio apartment with two completely incompatible extroverts. Moving out is not an option because reasons, and on top of living in a nightmare my work is also really stressful.

The worst part is, I willingly signed up for this, so there's no one to blame. Three months down, and seven to go, and oh my gosh I am never living with strangers again. Worst decision ever.
sky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:39 am

The Mikey wrote:OKC, you're crushing me like a cheese sandwich, stop giving me awesome matches that are so far away. ; ~;

I'll be damned I got a response. D:

Anyway, this isn't a rant, but more of a complaint. CameraRaw is great, I just hate working with it, too many extraneous files and I hate that I can't see them without Adobe Bridge. UUUUUUGH. >:I

Back to top Go down

Post by azazel on Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:38 pm

I'm honestly not sure why I even check the profiles of people who rate me anymore.

They're looking only for friends, while I obviously am not, having profiles consisting of six lines, looked interesting but lived more than 2 hours further away than was visible from their profile when I send them a message against my better judgement (happened twice even! You think I learned the first time!), etc. etc.

OLD is working out great so far.

azazel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xexyz on Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:10 am

Ugh. I bought way too much candy for Halloween so have the leftovers sitting in my house, which I'm eating. I usually don't eat candy very often so I've constantly felt sick to my stomach after chowing down.

Xexyz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 on Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:57 am

People complaining over a couple changes in store policy that were made at corporate level which is easily four or five steps up the ladder from me. I can't do anything about it and neither can my boss!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:19 am

I have a ton of work to do over the next month, compounded by the fact that they're basically forcing us to work with our classmates and we'll actually lose points if we seek outside help.

So to make a good movie, work with people who suck just as much as you do. Got it!

And I have writer's block again. It'll be a miracle if I don't fail out of this program by the end of the month.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:59 pm

Glides wrote:I have a ton of work to do over the next month, compounded by the fact that they're basically forcing us to work with our classmates and we'll actually lose points if we seek outside help.

So to make a good movie, work with people who suck just as much as you do. Got it!

And I have writer's block again. It'll be a miracle if I don't fail out of this program by the end of the month.

A philosophy that's always helped me, is make a movie YOU and your team wanna see. If they're as terrible as you say they are, well, then everyone should focus on what they're good at.

As for writers block, go get inspired, watch a bunch of movies and see what appeals to you. Most stories have already been told and no story is original anymore. Hell, George Lucas ripped off Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress. Razz But he took it and made it his own, which goes back to the Picasso/Banksy quote "Good artists imitate, great artists steal." Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:20 am

The Mikey wrote:

A philosophy that's always helped me, is make a movie YOU and your team wanna see. If they're as terrible as you say they are, well, then everyone should focus on what they're good at.

As for writers block, go get inspired, watch a bunch of movies and see what appeals to you. Most stories have already been told and no story is original anymore. Hell, George Lucas ripped off Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress. Razz But he took it and made it his own, which goes back to the Picasso/Banksy quote "Good artists imitate, great artists steal." Grin

Well I'm just lucky that I've been kind of ignoring the rules and keeping around the students who are assigned to my projects for show. One student, technically, but she's got the flu and thus can't interfere with my project. Nice girl, though.

The people I'm working with are people that I get along with, and people who are pretty game to filming what I want. They're not the ones I'm worried about.

Surprisingly, the screenplay issue worked itself out, sort of. The professor actually liked it for a change. I'm a big nut of the Steven Spielberg/Martin Scorsese/Alfonso Cuaron tracking shot, and so mine has a bunch of those in it. I made a post-modern twist on a monster movie, basically.

So now it's the directing project I'm worrying about, because I have to draw storyboards, and I can't draw worth shit. Have tried to learn for years, never improved. I've got half the cast and a crew assembled (somehow all for free), have locations and equipment (mostly my own), and have a budget assembled to pay for food for them all once I'm done shooting. It's a four actor cast and a four person crew. The other student was the producer and she got sick, so I've basically been doing that as well. I have to shoot in two locations in one day and get permits for both. I also have to edit the project completely and add in post-production sound design. I'm basically doing a bunch of shit that actual directors aren't even trained for, even though it's on a much smaller scale.

And I have to workshop with the actors and crew separately, which I may not even be able to do, because I have assignments for two other classes I need to finish, plus movie screenings I need to attend for credit. I have to study for two separate exams on top of that which are on entire textbooks. And the teachers constantly call us lazy despite giving us a whole shit ton of work. The only way you can tell if an idea of yours is good is when they get nitpicky and stop insulting your story structure in a screenplay.

So all in all, the most ridiculously difficult experience of my life. It's like a military boot camp of the mind, they will go at you like piranhas if they find a single weakness with your story. The problem is that the criticisms are subjective: I have good dialogue and bad story structure while everyone else has bad dialogue and good story structure. Story structure is the most important, and I'm still arrogant enough to think that I'm the genius of the class, even though the rational side of me knows better.

Seriously though, I don't mind every other aspect of preproduction except the fucking storyboards. I can't fucking draw, I hate drawing, anything beyond shitty doodles literally fills me with rage.

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:31 am

It is good experience for being a filmmaker, though. Especially starting out you often do not get to pick your own team and obviously making a film is teamwork, frequently with people you do not like and who have variable levels of talent and reliability.
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed on Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:53 am

Stop giving constantly conflicting instructions, you lom gicdillag. Seriously, first the posters need to be done ASAP, then the amount of flyers changes so we have to make an extra order, and now the poster design was wrong?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum