Rants

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Rants

Post by Wondering on Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:45 pm

You can untag yourself in photos where other people tagged you. I've done it for similar reasons.

Wondering

Posts : 1112
Reputation : 431
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rants

Post by caliseivy on Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:50 pm

Wondering wrote:You can untag yourself in photos where other people tagged you. I've done it for similar reasons.

Oh I know, I discovered that one day Smile
It just gets tiring when they continue to tag you in other pictures. Thinking about making a template "Don't tag me" message.
avatar
caliseivy

Posts : 301
Reputation : 87
Join date : 2014-10-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rants

Post by nearly_takuan on Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:03 am

I need to break something, but I don't want to break anything. But I need to break something.

Because if I'd taken these "aptitude tests" as part of a job interview two years ago—as in, before I got my dead-end job where I hardly learned anything, I'd have aced every question using C and my own subroutines.

As it is, I wasted about half an hour on each question trying to remember the name of the right library to import, lost count of how many times I hit compile to see the errors, and when I started to run out of time switched frantically between Ruby and C# trying to find a language where I could actually remember some of the keywords.

The algorithms I came up with were still pretty solid, IMO; I just...couldn't express them on demand.

Arghhhh I blew it.
avatar
nearly_takuan

Posts : 1057
Reputation : 430
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rants

Post by reboot on Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:13 am

That thoroughly sucks, NT and I have been there before with R (something I self taught so need my google fu to remember most commands)

For things to break, I recommend dried tree branches snapped over a knee. Trees are happy to lose those, they make a satisfying cracking noise, and you have kindling afterwards if you have a fireplace, easy to fit in the plant waste bin if you do not.
avatar
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Posts : 2514
Reputation : 1005
Join date : 2014-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rants

Post by Wondering on Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:53 pm

My brother is refusing to get a flu shot because "they make people sick," even though I have been perfectly clear that family and friends who don't get flu or whooping cough shots aren't allowed around my baby.

I have no tolerance for science deniers or people who refuse to respect the clear boundaries I have established for my child.

_________________
-Nevertheless, she persisted

Wondering

Posts : 1112
Reputation : 431
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rants

Post by Mel on Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:52 am

Argh. Just saw my first professional review for my newest book, and the reviewer's main complaint is based on his inaccurate assumptions about historical facts, which contradicts my researched version of historical facts. (Which are not so obscure that he couldn't have probably figured out at least part of his error if he'd so much as looked at the Wikipedia entry regarding the event in question.) *headdesk headdesk headdesk* I just hope that anyone reading the review recognizes that his complaint doesn't actually make sense, rather than assuming I'm the one who was careless.
avatar
Mel
Roving Moderator

Posts : 317
Reputation : 182
Join date : 2014-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rants

Post by caliseivy on Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:34 pm

I think this girl in my online class is trying to one-up me...
Of the fourteen posts I've had to put up about fourteen different topics as required by the teacher, she has chosen to respond to me instead of anyone else and every response has been about the research she's done about the topic that I individually chose and has gone beyond whatever I wrote while ever so slightly undermining and suggesting that my information was incorrect. WTF?!
avatar
caliseivy

Posts : 301
Reputation : 87
Join date : 2014-10-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rants

Post by UristMcBunny on Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:37 pm

Sigh.

So the bank have managed to LOSE a cheque the MIL sent us to cover the other half's travel insurance.  I mean, it's been cashed so it was definitely paid into someone's bank account.  Just not the person NAMED ON THE CHEQUE or ON THE PAYING IN SLIP or into any account either of us own with them.  And it will take up to 15 working days to FIND it, let alone get the problem corrected, and in the meantime my other half needs travel insurance for a trip he's taking at the end of this bloody month.

And it's the worst fucking timing, as well. Because I need to be paying my AAT membership shortly so I can take my first lot of exams which, oh yeah, I ALSO need to pay for, and we're not exactly flush with cash right now as it is, what with his employer regularly making "administrative errors" which result in him being underpaid repeatedly and it taking weeks to fix every single time.

Fucking brilliant.

_________________
Some of you will know me as Bunny from the old forums.
avatar
UristMcBunny
Moderator of "Romantic and Sexual Relationships"

Posts : 371
Reputation : 116
Join date : 2014-09-24

View user profile http://uristmcdorf.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Rants

Post by nearly_takuan on Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:07 am

Okay, yes, I stopped when an old woman asked for help. She didn't specify what kind of help she needed—I assumed directions, or a ride somewhere, or food—and when she clarified that she was asking for cash, I politely said I wasn't carrying any (the truth) and went on my way.

Or I would have, except you, punk boy in studded jacket, literally jumped in front of her and asked for money too. That alone would have been uncool, but you then proceeded to follow me and my friends for five blocks, touching our shoulders and jogging next to us, refusing to accept no for an answer. We stopped a block from our car, because by then all three of us felt like showing you where the car was would be unsafe, and we had to spend the better part of fifteen minutes talking you down before you would take the fucking hint and leave.

And even now I am not rid of your spectre, because apparently one of the many obnoxious things you said (which I didn't catch because I was concentrating on ignoring you) was an offer to suck my penis for five dollars, and now those two friends will not shut the fuck up about it. (Perhaps tomorrow, once they have sobered up a bit more, I will try to make it clearer that shutting the fuck up about it is advisable.)

Contrary to what you said in your feeble efforts to lay down a guilt trip, I do not look down on the homeless and jobless. I never have, and I certainly don't now that I too am jobless and about four short months away from homeless! If I was giving you harsh looks, it is because being followed around an unfamiliar part of the city at night is at the very least annoying.

Fuck you. Consider yourself lucky you stopped when you did, and that you chose to focus on me, because I guarantee things would have gone a lot worse for you otherwise.

...The music was great tonight. Playing the Smash Bros. demo in multiplayer was also really fun. I must not let this ruin those experiences.
avatar
nearly_takuan

Posts : 1057
Reputation : 430
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rants

Post by sky on Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:56 am

Guy sitting in the chair next to the only other chair in the whole building: If I sit down with my laptop and look at nothing but the screen, odds are good that I don't particularly want to talk to you. If I ignore every thing you say to me three times before giving a grudging one word answer on the fourth repetition, and then straight up tell you TWICE that I'd rather look at my computer than talk, then demanding to know if I'm single is probably not a good next step. Waiting 10 minutes and then asking again because I told you the first time that I wasn't going to answer was definitely not a good choice, and now you're offended that I chose to walk away rather than let you continue the interrogation? Also, "good morning, you're sexy" was not an ok greeting. I'd never seen you before in my life and now I have to sit in the far corner of the building on the uncomfortable floor, because it's the only place I have found where nobody else usually goes. Maybe in a week or two, I'll feel comfortable trying for the actual chair again.
avatar
sky

Posts : 97
Reputation : 53
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rants

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:58 pm

Mel wrote:Argh. Just saw my first professional review for my newest book, and the reviewer's main complaint is based on his inaccurate assumptions about historical facts, which contradicts my researched version of historical facts. (Which are not so obscure that he couldn't have probably figured out at least part of his error if he'd so much as looked at the Wikipedia entry regarding the event in question.) *headdesk headdesk headdesk* I just hope that anyone reading the review recognizes that his complaint doesn't actually make sense, rather than assuming I'm the one who was careless.

What is the book about and where can I buy it so I can pretend to know more history than you? Razz

caliseivy wrote:I think this girl in my online class is trying to one-up me...
Of the fourteen posts I've had to put up about fourteen different topics as required by the teacher, she has chosen to respond to me instead of anyone else and every response has been about the research she's done about the topic that I individually chose and has gone beyond whatever I wrote while ever so slightly undermining and suggesting that my information was incorrect. WTF?!

I hate to break it to you, but that's a needless waste of energy. No one gives a rat's ass what people post in online classes. Let her have her fun. She's only looking like a kiss-ass.

sky wrote:Guy sitting in the chair next to the only other chair in the whole building: If I sit down with my laptop and look at nothing but the screen, odds are good that I don't particularly want to talk to you. If I ignore every thing you say to me three times before giving a grudging one word answer on the fourth repetition, and then straight up tell you TWICE that I'd rather look at my computer than talk, then demanding to know if I'm single is probably not a good next step. Waiting 10 minutes and then asking again because I told you the first time that I wasn't going to answer was definitely not a good choice, and now you're offended that I chose to walk away rather than let you continue the interrogation? Also, "good morning, you're sexy" was not an ok greeting. I'd never seen you before in my life and now I have to sit in the far corner of the building on the uncomfortable floor, because it's the only place I have found where nobody else usually goes. Maybe in a week or two, I'll feel comfortable trying for the actual chair again.

Well looks like you found a keeper. How the fuck do people get so fucking clueless?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Rants

Post by nearly_takuan on Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:00 am

Glides wrote:Well looks like you found a keeper. How the fuck do people get so fucking clueless?

Those tactics still have a better chance of success than respectfully backing off every single time, depending on how you define "success".

I mean, I wouldn't have given Crackhead any money if he'd left us alone, either.
avatar
nearly_takuan

Posts : 1057
Reputation : 430
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rants

Post by sky on Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:09 am

Glides wrote:Well looks like you found a keeper. How the fuck do people get so fucking clueless?

I seem to just have that "look" where strangers assume that it's ok to order me to smile when I walk past them on the street, or have a long conversation about my potential life choices if they catch me when I'm less mobile, such as on public transportation. innocent
avatar
sky

Posts : 97
Reputation : 53
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rants

Post by WJMorris3 on Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:39 am

I'm a pretty passionate Philadelphia sports fan. I think that Philly sports fans get a bad rap.

That having been said...

Who the expletive steals a prosthetic leg?!

_________________
EREMITAE USQUE AD MORTEM
avatar
WJMorris3

Posts : 495
Reputation : 121
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rants

Post by nearly_takuan on Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:45 am

WJMorris3 wrote:I'm a pretty passionate Philadelphia sports fan. I think that Philly sports fans get a bad rap.

That having been said...

Who the expletive steals a prosthetic leg?!

avatar
nearly_takuan

Posts : 1057
Reputation : 430
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rants

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:51 am

WJMorris3 wrote:I'm a pretty passionate Philadelphia sports fan. I think that Philly sports fans get a bad rap.

That having been said...

Who the expletive steals a prosthetic leg?!

I was gonna say, "Badass anthropomorphic raccoons" but I think nearly_takuan's nailed it.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Rants

Post by nearly_takuan on Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:35 am

Went browsing on AVEN looking for an old thread I thought I remembered seeing on there.

Didn't find it. Stumbled on this, though:

gner0 wrote:I find that romance is simply what we like to call "gooshy" stuff because if romance was wanting a strong emotional connection with someone we would be in romantic relationships with our family members and friends. It's the cuddling, holding hands, kissing, going on dates, anything that is really exclusive and intimate with that person. And if you desire such things, then you are romantic. A lot of people do desire this even asexuals and so they are romantic but some of us don't even really desire that. I don't and never had. Holding hands is okay for me but before my current partner I was not into cuddling, going out to dinner with someone, or kissing (hated kissing gah). This doesn't mean I didn't want to have a person who I could have companionship with. I desire someone who I don't have to be intimate with but can enjoy their presence and have as a companion in my life. I really enjoy my current partner's personality and emotional and spiritual growth and want to have them as someone I can have close in my life but not as someone to fulfill a fantasy of some sort.

Even in this current relationship with my romantic-sexual partner, I find myself compromising not only sexually but also romantically and have even been accused of treating my partner "too much like a friend".

Everything about this is depressing.
avatar
nearly_takuan

Posts : 1057
Reputation : 430
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rants

Post by reboot on Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:24 am

Dear mom and dad,

Although your normally suspicious behavior and tendency to hang up the phone and not answer the door to unexpected visitors (including me and my brother) kind of annoys me, I do wish you had exhibited a bit more wariness when your "credit card" called because:
1. You do not have a credit card. That is a debit card
2. Your "credit card" has your SSN you did not have to give the whole thing
3. In general, you do not pay things by wiring through Western Union to the Virgin Islands

*head desk*
avatar
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Posts : 2514
Reputation : 1005
Join date : 2014-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rants

Post by Enail on Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:19 pm

Man, I need more arm muscles!
avatar
Enail
Admin

Posts : 3266
Reputation : 1559
Join date : 2014-09-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rants

Post by UristMcBunny on Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:46 pm

Welp, anxiety is apparently deciding to latch onto literally anything it can find to make me freak out. Slightly dodgy friend sent Nick an angry text yesterday and now Nick isn't replying to my emails? Clearly he must have never have made it to work and is instead tied up in said dodgy friend's house being tortured to death. He cannot possibly just be busy dealing with a new manager and have more important things to do than email me back about gaming night.

Yes brain, very good, that juddering heartbeat and churning stomach is exactly what I needed today thank you.

*Of course, it doesn't help that said dodgy friend is dodgy to the point of having been sectioned for extreme violence before, but I am still way too paranoid for my own good right now.

_________________
Some of you will know me as Bunny from the old forums.
avatar
UristMcBunny
Moderator of "Romantic and Sexual Relationships"

Posts : 371
Reputation : 116
Join date : 2014-09-24

View user profile http://uristmcdorf.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Rants

Post by Autumnflame on Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:11 pm

Ugh. I feel like I've been fucking up every social interaction today, especially the FB discussion on my own page with one of my favorite artists that has my "shit I hope I'm not too aggressive about this" anxieties flying high, and now I think I'm catching the bug my roommate brought back from NYCC. GAH.
avatar
Autumnflame

Posts : 181
Reputation : 55
Join date : 2014-10-03

View user profile http://priscillakim.carbonmade.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Rants

Post by UristMcBunny on Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:57 pm

Second time in ONE FUCKING WEEK that one of our cats has shit ON THE FUCKING BED. This time she shat right on my other half's work uniform, which he'd draped on the end of the bed when he got home today.

It's always the same cat and she knows it's wrong because she does it in the tiny frame of time when I'm not upstairs. She has always been fine with the litter tray. The tray is kept clean with fresh litter. But for two weeks we had the tray upstairs while dealing with fleas in the stairwell and now she chooses to shit in our bed rather than in the litter tray downstairs. To the point that we will carry her downstairs twice a day to the tray, and she'll pee in it but SAVE HER SHIT for the bed. And she's not sick, we've checked. She's just being a little ratbag.

I have had to launder my quilt THREE TIMES IN THREE WEEKS. IN AUTUMN. WHEN IT'S RAINING HALF THE WEEK. WHICH MEANS FOR HALF THE LAST THREE WEEKS I HAVE HAD TO GO WITHOUT A QUILT.

That's it. I'm done. We've tried every gentle positive reinforcement thing we can do and it hasn't worked. Tomorrow I am locking her downstairs. She will have food, water and litter and she can fucking well stay down there until she learns where pooping happens.

No, cat. You are NOT going to get to have a litter tray in the tiny office space upstairs. Or our bedroom. We are NOT sleeping within smelling distance of your inadequately buried shit.

_________________
Some of you will know me as Bunny from the old forums.
avatar
UristMcBunny
Moderator of "Romantic and Sexual Relationships"

Posts : 371
Reputation : 116
Join date : 2014-09-24

View user profile http://uristmcdorf.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Rants

Post by eselle28 on Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:05 am

Oh, gross, I'm sorry Bunny. My cat is a spiteful pooper, and I know the pain.
avatar
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Posts : 1992
Reputation : 997
Join date : 2014-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rants

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:06 am

Why is it that every time I read threads here and/or read DNL letters that resonate so much, hit so hard and end up making me feel like poop? :\

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Rants

Post by Werel on Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:38 pm

Dang, Mikey, sorry to hear reading threads around here is feeling the opposite of helpful. Are there any specific ideas or themes that crop up a lot which you're finding especially bothersome?
avatar
Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

Posts : 1779
Reputation : 964
Join date : 2014-09-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum