NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rants

+51
Enail
Suika
dustyteal
readertorider
trooper6
PintsizeBro
Raindancing
Prajnaparamita
Gman
TheRoux
BasedBuzzed
LadyIkaros
Caffeinated
KMR
OneTrueGuest
Coin-op Adjutant
Spiffo
WJMorris3
kath
username_6916
kleenestar
Izmuth
Kaz
reboot
SadisticToaster
Barretts_Salt
Hirundo Bos
Jayce
Xexyz
nonA
BiSian
celette482
Robjection
azazel
Conreezy
Werel
sky
Mel
nearly_takuan
Wondering
caliseivy
waxingjaney
Lemminkainen
reboundstudent
IntelligentDice
Gentleman Johnny
Gamerz
UristMcBunny
concentus
eselle28
fakely mctest
55 posters

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Rants - Page 12 Empty Re: Rants

Post by BasedBuzzed Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:23 am

Is there a site that has a counter/aggregator for the number of black folks killed by the police so far? Because I have the feeling for every perfect storm of media attention like this, there are 20 more that don't make it further than the local news.

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:32 am

Between the verdict and what it essentially means (along with the arguments I've been seeing to try and justify the verdict), and the bs I'm dealing with over Thanksgiving, I think I'm done with Earth.

Kind of wish it wasn't too late to cancel Thanksgiving at the house. Of course, to do so, I would have to have been recognized by her as the official coordinator.

Last edited by caliseivy on Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Had more to add)
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by fakely mctest Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:39 am

So this happened over the weekend: Investigation Begins Of Fatal Police Shooting Of 12-Year-Old

You get one guess as to the race of the 12 year old.

And just in case the authorities pull a CYA move regarding whether the gun looked real or not:

At briefing after the shooting, a police spokesman said the boy did not confront or threaten the officer. In the 911 call obtained by Cleveland.com, an unidentified male says the "guy" was pointing a gun at everybody in the playground and while it was "probably fake" it was scaring him.

Apparently the police had recorded video of the incident and asked the family if they wanted to view it. Which, I GUESS I get it from a "see we didn't do anything wrong" perspective but asking the family of a dead 12 year old whether they want to view the footage of his shooting is DEEPLY fucked up.

General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiffo Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:11 pm

BasedBuzzed wrote:Is there a site that has a counter/aggregator for the number of black folks killed by the police so far? Because I have the feeling for every perfect storm of media attention like this, there are 20 more that don't make it further than the local news.

I'm not aware of one, but for police-militarization purposes there's the raid map
Spiffo
Spiffo

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:43 pm

Apparently there is no reliable national data on police involved shootings: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/09/08/how-many-police-shootings-a-year-no-one-knows/
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:31 pm

Yeah, John Oliver had a piece on his show about how there's no national database of people killed by police, even though, generally, there is supposed to be.

In the transcripts of the grand jury trial, it shows Wilson said about Brown, "it looks like a demon." "It" and "demon." Referring to people as "it" and to people not of your race as demonic has long been part of the history of dehumanization.

I recently read the Rolling Stone article on the rape culture at UVA, and the featured young woman who was gang raped was also called "it" by her attackers.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:34 pm

Oh, dear science, don't even get me started on the Rolling Stone article.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by azazel Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:08 am

fakely mctest wrote:So this happened over the weekend: Investigation Begins Of Fatal Police Shooting Of 12-Year-Old

You get one guess as to the race of the 12 year old.

And just in case the authorities pull a CYA move regarding whether the gun looked real or not:

At briefing after the shooting, a police spokesman said the boy did not confront or threaten the officer. In the 911 call obtained by Cleveland.com, an unidentified male says the "guy" was pointing a gun at everybody in the playground and while it was "probably fake" it was scaring him.

Apparently the police had recorded video of the incident and asked the family if they wanted to view it.  Which, I GUESS I get it from a "see we didn't do anything wrong" perspective but asking the family of a dead 12 year old whether they want to view the footage of his shooting is DEEPLY fucked up.

I see this specific one as a cautionary tale of why you do not reach for gun like objects when the police tell you to put your hands up.

And the family is doing their own investigation, so the police asking if they want to view the footage they have is actually good, I'd say. Shows they're cooperative to get the facts above ground.

azazel

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:37 am

Universities need to get out of the sexual assault investigation business and hand the reports to the police. After all, every other crime on campus is investigated by police, regular assault, theft, etc.. So why do universities keep sexual assault in-house?
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by azazel Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:48 am

reboot wrote:Universities need to get out of the sexual assault investigation business and hand the reports to the police. After all, every other crime on campus is investigated by police, regular assault, theft, etc.. So why do universities keep sexual assault in-house?

Yesyesyes!

Never understood the American system, to be honest. Hope they change it soon.

azazel

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:57 am

Because some stuff is so low-tier(sexting, brief kissing that is later regretted) that the police are unlikely to take it as seriously? It's bizarre that you at the same time have cases of slap-on-the-wrist expulsion for gang rape and people getting hounded out of jobs and friends over drunk frenching that never went any farther that people didn't regret for two years.

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:01 am

BasedBuzzed wrote:Because some stuff is so low-tier(sexting, brief kissing that is later regretted) that the police are unlikely to take it as seriously? It's bizarre that you at the same time have cases of slap-on-the-wrist expulsion for gang rape and people getting hounded out of jobs and friends over drunk frenching that never went any farther that people didn't regret for two years.

Which is why it is best to let crimes be investigated by people who specialize in it. Universities can focus on things that break their rules, but sexual assault and other crimes belong in the criminal system.
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:42 pm

reboot wrote:
BasedBuzzed wrote:Because some stuff is so low-tier(sexting, brief kissing that is later regretted) that the police are unlikely to take it as seriously? It's bizarre that you at the same time have cases of slap-on-the-wrist expulsion for gang rape and people getting hounded out of jobs and friends over drunk frenching that never went any farther that people didn't regret for two years.

Which is why it is best to let crimes be investigated by people who specialize in it. Universities can focus on things that break their rules, but sexual assault and other crimes belong in the criminal system.

I concur, but giving the gubbermint investigations on their butts and stories of how shit the police is with regards to sexual assault and the like, it's understandable they've conducted this as a stop-gap measure. Understandable, but not excusable.

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:14 pm

BasedBuzzed wrote:
reboot wrote:

I concur, but giving the gubbermint investigations on their butts and stories of how shit the police is with regards to sexual assault and the like, it's understandable they've conducted this as a stop-gap measure. Understandable, but not excusable.

I think it may have been meant as such at some point, but in practice, it seems to have turned into a first line of defense for the administration to protect itself from bad publicity and from having to include incidents in the school's reported crime rates. Whatever the intentions originally were, it's failed at keeping campuses safer and has likely made them more dangerous, and the practice should be discontinued.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:18 pm

A lot of those other crimes are investigated by campus police, though. So an actual police force, but still part of the university's system. I don't know that having campus police do sexual assault would be any better than having it handled through non-police methods, sadly.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:40 am

You know what I hate sometimes? Being a dude.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:14 pm

Sigh, lefties, can you please stop being so self-righteous to the point of charicature?
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:40 pm

Here's something to restore your faith a bit: http://www.mcgilldaily.com/2014/11/everything-problematic/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:35 pm

BasedBuzzed wrote:Here's something to restore your faith a bit: http://www.mcgilldaily.com/2014/11/everything-problematic/

That did, actually. Thanks for that.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:27 pm

I hate thanksgiving.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by azazel Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:50 am

Why oh why are there so many female general practitioners and so few male ones?

Rethoric question I know the answer to (I'd guess men specialize more), but it kinda sucks.

If the male ones that do exist weren't deathly afraid of dick it wouldn't even be a real problem I guess.

azazel

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:43 pm

My friend, if your question about getting married is answered by anything but an enthusiastic yes, it is probably a bad idea. Six months of trying to change your partner's mind is not going to help.
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:51 pm

azazel wrote:Why oh why are there so many female general practitioners and so few male ones?

Rethoric question I know the answer to (I'd guess men specialize more), but it kinda sucks.

If the male ones that do exist weren't deathly afraid of dick it wouldn't even be a real problem I guess.

You mean like a standard physician? My physician (for the short time I had insurance) was a dude and he was a an awesome doctor and dude.

I thought about becoming a doctor once, but decided against it, not because I was afraid of dick or anything silly, but something sillier, I'm squeamish. Razz

Anyway, rant? I colorized and up scaled a short 01:43 video with Magic Bullet Instant HD and Colorista... render time was an hour and 30 minutes. I turned off instant HD and still had a 30 to 40 minute render time. WTFFFF?!?! So I reverted back to my usual colorizing methods even though MB's were muuuuch better.

-mumble grumble-

Back to top Go down

Post by azazel Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:55 pm

The Mikey wrote:
azazel wrote:Why oh why are there so many female general practitioners and so few male ones?

You mean like a standard physician? My physician (for the short time I had insurance) was a dude and he was a an awesome doctor and dude.

Yep, just the one you normally see for small issues.

Previously, it worked like this (paraphrased):

ME ON THE PHONE: Hello, I was wondering when a male doctor would be in to see me.
ASSISTANT: (Very coldly) I guess that in two days you could see a male doctor.
ME: okthanx!

*le moi arrives at the office*

AS. : What was your problem exactly again? (loud enough for the whole waiting room to hear).
ME: ...ehm... it's a bit private, I'd rather discuss it with the doctor plz. (softly)
AS. (still very loudly): Okay, private matter that's okay, the doctor can see you now!
*judging stares by the whole waiting room*

ME: Hello mr Doctor! I have dickproblems!
THEY: ...ok... I believe you, here's this prescription! Go away!
ME: I also have another question whether something is supposed to be like that.
THEY: Yeah, that's probably just normal, could make you infertile if it isn't, but don't worry! Go away!
*le me exits while wondering if I should've whipped it out and made him look or if that would have landed me in jail*

azazel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:32 pm

azazel wrote:
Yep, just the one you normally see for small issues.

Previously, it worked like this (paraphrased):

ME ON THE PHONE: Hello, I was wondering when a male doctor would be in to see me.
ASSISTANT: (Very coldly) I guess that in two days you could see a male doctor.
ME: okthanx!

*le moi arrives at the office*

AS. : What was your problem exactly again? (loud enough for the whole waiting room to hear).
ME: ...ehm... it's a bit private, I'd rather discuss it with the doctor plz. (softly)
AS. (still very loudly): Okay, private matter that's okay, the doctor can see you now!
*judging stares by the whole waiting room*

ME: Hello mr Doctor! I have dickproblems!
THEY: ...ok... I believe you, here's this prescription! Go away!
ME: I also have another question whether something is supposed to be like that.
THEY: Yeah, that's probably just normal, could make you infertile if it isn't, but don't worry! Go away!
*le me exits while wondering if I should've whipped it out and made him look or if that would have landed me in jail*

Ohhh, is this like a public health clinic? Well, regardless, usually it's a good idea to be very detailed in the problem, plus a good doctor would ask as many questions as he can to get as much info out of you as possible to help you.

I understand how it could be a little uncomfortable to have a female physician though. When I was 19, for a volunteer gig I needed to get a physical, the physician was older Asian woman, talk about awwwkward.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum