Rants

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Rants

Post by WJMorris3 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:17 pm

Gah. My car's been recalled and the remedy is not yet available.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kath on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:46 pm

grr argh *incoherent*
kath

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza on Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:09 pm

I really wish I made enough money to not have to tutor on the side. Somehow, a job I do for 2 hours a week gives me more headaches than the one I do for 30. And more emails. Oh my god, the emails. Oh, and if you're the boss at a tutoring gig, it's pretty damned dishonest to not tell me that both you and another tutor already tried working with a kid, and "didn't feel like you could help" until AFTER I already agreed to do it. What the fuck does that even mean? Is the kid obnoxious? Not very bright? Oh, but you'll meet with me to talk about it...15 minutes before I start working with the kid. That's super helpful.
jcorozza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp on Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:05 am

My brother's roommate made a reference to my virginity today in an attempt at a jokey connection to an unrelated thing we were talking about. I've forgotten how sensitive I am about it. I felt really down when he said that even though I don't think there was malice behind it.
The Wisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chickpea Sarada on Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:53 am

Dear (family member),

When a relative from Japan comes to visit and brings her Korean boyfriend, the internment camps in WW2 and Japanese-Korean conflicts are not appropriate dinner table conversation topics.

Ferguson, especially from the "Fox News" POV, is not a fun topic for Thanksgiving party. Cousin never came back from his bathroom break for a reason.

And one more thing: when I ask to change the subject, that does not mean I'd rather discuss "girly things like sex."

I love you, but these conversations burn me up.
Chickpea Sarada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kath on Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:23 am

Wisp, that was a gross thing for that person to do, whether or not they were being intentionally malicious.
kath

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp on Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:07 pm

kath wrote:Wisp, that was a gross thing for that person to do, whether or not they were being intentionally malicious.

True, now that I think back on it after sleeping on it the situation seems much more gross and awkward than it did late last night. I'm friendly with this guy, but we've never had personal conversations about sex or anything of a similar depth.
The Wisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:55 pm

Fucking missionaries. Stupid reality where it's nearly impossible to do fieldwork without making nice with missionaries. I don't know how to be even vaguely honest about my stance towards them without burning bridges that I might need to find housing and transportation in remote areas. So hard to reconcile ideological integrity with pragmatic necessity. Ugh. Fucking missionaries.
Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed on Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:56 am

This is the litmus test for my social circle.
"Your hair looks like you use napalm for gel."
What is your response?
a)<lotsa expletives>
b)"What kind of person randomly insults someone's looks? This says way more about you than it says about me."
c)"Sick burn(the hair, not your jab)."
My answer is c). Nobody expects you to be in this mode 24/7, but I like snark, so do my pals, and there are plenty of other people to hang out with you if you find this too much.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy on Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:24 am

Fucking fuck.

I now have two more shirts I can't wear: one because it is just thin enough that I can't wear it without an undershirt but because of the wide collar that's not possible anyway. Two more shirts with collars too wide. Silly me thinking I could try wearing lighter colors for a change.

And new pants feel nice, have pockets and belt loops but are longer than I thought they were so they're always in danger of dragging the ground, which means they'll get dirty, which won't look good at work.

Just. Can't. Win. :grrr:
caliseivy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot on Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:34 am

Werel wrote:Fucking missionaries. Stupid reality where it's nearly impossible to do fieldwork without making nice with missionaries. I don't know how to be even vaguely honest about my stance towards them without burning bridges that I might need to find housing and transportation in remote areas. So hard to reconcile ideological integrity with pragmatic necessity. Ugh. Fucking missionaries.

Oh physics, I feel you!! Been there and had to cope with ideologically strange bedfellows
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Izmuth on Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:48 am

Today, I got to feel how it feels to not be invited to a second interview because of my gender.

It is not a nice feeling, unsurprisingly.

Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck
Izmuth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:25 pm

Speaking of interviews ...

Dear common cold,

I know you usually have to rear your ugly head in my vicinity at least once a year, sometimes more, but next time could you be a bit more considerate with your timing? For example, if I have a couple of interviews coming up within the next 14 days, the courteous thing to do would be to wait until after they've happened before striking, and not to show up mere days before the first one. You have 72 hours to make like a tree and get out of here before I come round your house and burn it down using a combustible lemon.

Sincerely yours,

Robjection

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:47 pm

Okay, security challenge questions, I usually can get around you. However, if you're going to have a different set of options for each of three challenge questions, it would be wise if one of them didn't have 5 options for information about a spouse, 2 for information about a child, and then two questions about a person's own nickname and favorite childhood sports team. I'm somehow quite sure that there are childless people who've never been married (or who are divorced/widowed and don't want to think about their former spouses) who neither like sports nor have a nickname.
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:52 pm

^Truth.
nearly_takuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:57 pm

Werel wrote:Ugh. Fucking missionaries.

Also this: http://imgur.com/gallery/b90Ms

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:01 pm

eselle28 wrote:Okay, security challenge questions, I usually can get around you. However, if you're going to have a different set of options for each of three challenge questions, it would be wise if one of them didn't have 5 options for information about a spouse, 2 for information about a child, and then two questions about a person's own nickname and favorite childhood sports team. I'm somehow quite sure that there are childless people who've never been married (or who are divorced/widowed and don't want to think about their former spouses) who neither like sports nor have a nickname.

Hell, I don't have any of that, not even a nickname.
I had to make up a security question answer once, because I didn't have any experience in any of the other questions.

My rant:
You keep insisting we have to do these mini classes from the system, at least three a year, but all the options are either not relevant to my job position, or really, really bad customer service lessons.
I'm running out of customer service lessons.
caliseivy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:22 pm

GAH! It never fucking ends! Now because someone's playing "you can't be my real friend if you won't side with me against him", we have to have the Ceremonial Airing Of The Drama! I demand human sacrifice. . .or at least fireball. Yeah, two or three shots of fireball would do it.

Gentleman Johnny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:28 pm

People playing fucking League of Legends in a study lab.

IT'S A GODDAMN STUDY LAB. YOUR INCESSANT CLICKING IS NOT GOOD FOR MY SANITY.

So please do me a favor and stop. Holy fuck you're annoying and make me hate a game that could have possibly been okay-ish too me. It also doesn't help that my little brother is a League fiend as well. Fuck, I hate League of Losers Legends.

EDIT: As of this writing, I've been sitting in this lab for nearly 30 minutes and the clicking has not stopped. BY THE THE FONZ'S POMP, WHY WON'T IT STOP!? ;-;

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:16 pm

Choice quote from my roommate, currently dating a black guy, upon seeing a picture of Lupita N'Yongo:

Spoiler: Racist being racist (spoiler tags added by Enail):

"She's cute...for a nigger."

I really really really should tell her boyfriend.

Last edited by Enail on Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Put the racist roommate's quote in spoiler tags so no one who doesn't feel like reading racist shit has to)

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan on Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:54 am

Wrong metaphor. It's not a stage performance in an empty room, it's a street performance on a neighborhood corner. Some are kinda morbidly curious and once in a while a person or two will glance your way, but mostly everyone just wishes you'd go away and stop making so much noise. You can stay for hours, days, months, or years, but you'll still be alone with your empty hat.
nearly_takuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy on Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:22 pm

God, my eyes are burning so bad. Stupid allergies acting up when they know I can't do anything about it here at work. Gotta try to not rub them for 30 more minutes...
caliseivy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy on Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:27 pm

Incredibly depressed right now. I have my first doctor's appointment with this new facility tomorrow and they want you to take a health assessment in advance which is basically just answering questions. I did it a long time ago and just looking at my health score (based on the habits you have) versus what they say most women my age have is depressing. And the wording they use for all of the responses make me angry at the world and at myself; they're all so falsely-nice and encouraging but at the same time you can hear the underlying snark and shaming.
I'm supposed to be no more than 145 lbs with a waist that is less than 35 in, that shit isn't happening unless I'm dead.
I just get so tired of all of this crap and I don't want to see the doctor because I'll probably have to hear this crap and any discussion about my health will be related to losing weight because I'm "obese" by BMI standards. The only times I've ever seen a professional and they didn't sit and discuss or mention my weight or hand me that damn sheet about what BMI means and what you need to do were fucking mental health professionals.

I know I'm not small, I know I'm fat and I'm not an exercise enthusiast, and I know I don't do very much exercising, but I'm under no illusions that I'm slim and in perfect shape/health or whatever; I'm not asking anyone to humor me and tell me I'm perfect I just want to not be made to feel like a horrible failure for not being slim Crying
caliseivy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:49 pm

Oh, man, I totally feel you on that. I have to go to my doctor like once a month so I can get referrals for allergy shots, and they weigh me every time. At least every other time she tells me how much weight I've gained and how fat I am. For someone "so young". Really? I had no idea, lady.
jcorozza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:00 pm

It's one thing to cancel plans for a night out drinking or even getting dinner at a restaurant on relatively short notice, but when someone invites you over for dinner, a couple hours notice is cutting things a bit close. After all, I already bought your dinner, and half of it is already prepared. And while you didn't give any excuse at all in your email, I saw you sneaking out the other door and you didn't appear to be unwell, which eliminates the two most sympathetic explanations of working late and illness.

But fine. Whatever. Not everyone makes it to the dinner party list and not everyone stays there. I don't want to hear any more griping about how hard it is to meet single women in this little town, though - you could have met four of them tonight.
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum