Learning languages thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Learning languages thread

Post by V on Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:45 am

So I thought I would make a thread about learning languages.

This is a great love of mine although I am ironically not that good at it.  I would love to hear what languages people are learning/have learned.

I live in Japan and there always seems to be more to learn.  It's a fascinating language and I am particularly attracted to its writing systems.  However because of this I feel guilty when I show an interest in other languages as I should be studying Japanese.

I have previously studied to some extent: French, Italian, Thai and Korean.  I also make it a point to learn some of the basics in any country I go to so I have tried a bit of a few other languages.

As I said I claim only a love of languages not any proficiency.  So don't be shy - please share your experiences be they brief or epic with learning the languages of the world.

V

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Learning languages thread

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:22 pm

I studied French in HS/college, but my big independent language-learning task is New Testament Greek. I studied classical Greek for a semester in college, dropped it for 15 years, and am reentering it as an adult. I have an advantage in that no one actually speaks New Testament Greek, so I don't have to worry about either speaking or writing, just reading for comprehension.

It's slow going, but I don't have any kind of a timetable on it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:59 pm

Heh, ElizaJane, I also like learning languages I don't have to worry about ever needing to speak! It takes so much pressure off! (though getting to actually speak languages is fun too).

I was lucky enough to go to French Immersion school, so while my French is rusty, I know it's in there somewhere. I've studied modern and ancient Japanese, a little ancient Chinese (not terribly successfully, since the class was aimed at people who knew at least one modern Chinese, which I didn't), Welsh, Spanish and Biblical Hebrew. Only Japanese is at a functional level though.

I've been thinking I should either try and get my Japanese back up to scratch or dabble in something new a bit. My top picks might be a local Aboriginal language, maybe Ojibwa, or maybe Finnish or a Slavic language, but it's hard to decide. Too many languages, not enough brain! :shout:
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:51 pm

I'm considering tackling Biblical Hebrew once I've gotten solid in the NT Greek, but that seems significantly more daunting, and I'd probably need to take a class to start off, until I'm at least comfortable with the alphabet and basic structure. You are being very daring with all the alphabets and/or hanzi/kanji/kana! My brain would explode.

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:57 pm

Well, this is over many years (and i don't remember any Hebrew!), so it's not so bad as that.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering on Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:53 pm

I took German all through high school and college. I also took classical Latin (here's to languages you don't have to speak!) in college and grad school, and Anglo-Saxon in grad school. I also taught myself Tolkien's Elvish script.

I am good at languages. Not a genius or anything, but learning them is easier than most other subjects I studied. I would love to learn more languages, but I don't have the time. And you definitely lose your ability if you don't use it often. I'm also really into dead languages, and those are hard to come by for the casual learner.

Wondering

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot on Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:49 pm

I speak about 5 languages crappily (Angolan Portuguese, Polish, Dari, Pashto, Swahili) and three slightly less crappily (Turkish/Uzbek, Arabic, French)

I cannot read or write any of them very well, though, since I never learned them in a formal way.
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp on Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:54 pm

I've always wanted to learn a language, but I don't seem to have the aptitude for it. I'm very good at memorizing grammatical rules and I'm okay at reading, but everything else, especially vocabulary and speaking the language, eluded me. I took four years of Spanish and I honestly don't think I improved at all in the last two years.

Lately I've started getting interested in learning Latin or Ancient Greek so I can read old philosophers, but I haven't pursued that yet.
The Wisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum