NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Story so far...

+4
reboot
eselle28
nearly_takuan
The Wisp
8 posters

Go down

Story so far... Empty Story so far...

Post by Guest Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:28 am

First I am glad to see a new DNL forum! Since the old forums a lot has happened...

1. I have been transferred to an Infantry unit, the company is a friendly bunch, though the workload and pressure to maintain standards are a lot higher.
2. Planning to return to college, but I am afraid that I'll be a little out of place (I am 25 now, a little too old to go to college...), my new Readiness NCO and a few of my fellow scouts (in a scout platoon) encouraged me to go.
3. Still very shy... my therapist encouraged me to socialize more, but since I am in a new unit fairly recently, that might pose a small problem.
4. Still dateless, kind of avoiding potential dates, quite terrified of trying to talk to them. (still very little confidence... especially now that I am officially un-dateable.)
5. growing a moustache.

not much has happened. My life is pretty much stagnated. not going to spiral down, got all of that out of my system.
and opinions and advice will be appreciated. *slowly wags tail and purrs*

Back to top Go down

Story so far... Empty Re: Story so far...

Post by The Wisp Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:30 am

Welcome back! I just want to say that it is clear you've come very far from when you last posted, and I'm happy for you! Smile
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:38 am

The Wisp wrote:Welcome back! I just want to say that it is clear you've come very far from when you last posted, and I'm happy for you! Smile

Thanks. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:56 am

Yeah, glad to see you seem to be feeling...if not great, then at least okay, and safe. Having recently gotten a full taste myself of how awesome it can be to work with people who are friendly and like-minded, especially in contrast to...not that, I also want to especially congratulate you on that first point! cheers

As for your second, naw, man, you're never too old to go to college. One of the coolest dudes I know started college at the age of 20, and several other awesome people I met as classmates in college are in their thirties or forties and have totally made it work. (One is/was additionally a single mother of three; I am in absolute awe.)
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:11 am

nearly_takuan wrote:Yeah, glad to see you seem to be feeling...if not great, then at least okay, and safe. Having recently gotten a full taste myself of how awesome it can be to work with people who are friendly and like-minded, especially in contrast to...not that, I also want to especially congratulate you on that first point! cheers

Thanks. The only challenge is, since it's an infantry unit, the expectations are higher, especially when you see the BN commander, a Lieutenant Colonel everyday. (I am in the Headquarters company)

P.S. I take it you have an affinity for big cats, judging by your avatar.

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:22 am

Ha! Well, I like domesticated house cats, but I dunno about the big ones. I had other reasons for my particular choice of avatar.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:02 am

Hey Alex. Can I join in the cat theme? I like the idea of big cats, away from me and in nature, and I'm very fond of the domesticated version. Like I said on the other thread, glad to see you back! Also glad to hear your your new unit is friendly, even if they're tough.

I don't know if you're looking for a little reassurance about college, but if I can offer some, I'm from a rural Midwestern area where a lot of the guys and more than a few of the girls join the military after high school, so I know a lot of veterans who started college in their late 20s or even early 30s. It does depend where you go to school, but very few of the people I know were singled out as being odd among their classmates. You might end up wanting to gravitate more toward the sophmores or juniors for social purposes than the freshmen, but you're not going to stand out all that much visually on a college campus at 25. Hell, if you go to a bigger school, there will be seniors and super-seniors who went to college right after high school who will be your age.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:21 am

Hi Alex,

Welcome back! Not that you need another data point, but all the people I know who were military started college 22 and older unless they were officers. I even know some that started after retirement at 40. So amongst those that served in the military starting at 25 is very normal.

Glad to hear everything else is going better and you "click" better with your new unit. It is really hard to work that closely with people you do not get along with well.
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:49 am

Alex1989 wrote:
2. Planning to return to college, but I am afraid that I'll be a little out of place (I am 25 now, a little too old to go to college...), my new Readiness NCO and a few of my fellow scouts (in a scout platoon) encouraged me to go.

Really, adding to what everybody else has said, do not worry about this. My boyfriend is 34, a first time student in college, and he lives in an off-campus in an apartment with a bunch of guys in their early twenties, and he's really enjoying himself. No one is too old to go to college, and despite media representations, not everybody is fresh out of high school--there's a lot more age variance than you'd think.

Alex1989 wrote:
5. growing a moustache.

I am still stubbornly waging my one woman war again facial hair on anyone, anywhere (except for religious/philosophical reason) and it still seems my efforts are futile...

Alex1989 wrote:
*slowly wags tail and purrs*

Jumping on the kitty bandwagon here, the fuzzball between my legs was Magnolia, the one on my knee was Apple, and I think Maple is the one in the background. Also I think you can see half of Forest there as well. (It was actually a litter of five, but we never got them to stop squirming long enough to get them all in one picture.) It was my job to get the little poopers up to two pounds so the shelter could fix them and get them up for adoption, and after that I had to take a nice long break from fostering...
Prajnaparamita
Prajnaparamita

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:29 am

Hey, welcome back, Alex! Grin Really glad to hear the new unit is a better fit, and piling on the "not too old" bandwagon-- plenty of people your age or older on most campuses, especially in areas where a lot of folks do military service.

Alex1989 wrote:5. growing a moustache.

I'll oppose Prajna on this one and say: you go for that moustache if you want a moustache. Laughing
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:31 am

I was a little surprised you didn't refer to them as whiskers. Wink
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:27 am

nearly_takuan wrote:I was a little surprised you didn't refer to them as whiskers. Wink

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

This is especially funny because moustache in Spanish is "Bigote", animal whiskers are also referred to as "Bigote"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:46 am

Prajnaparamita wrote:
Alex1989 wrote:
5. growing a moustache.

I am still stubbornly waging my one woman war again facial hair on anyone, anywhere (except for religious/philosophical reason) and it still seems my efforts are futile...

In my case I have to keep it trimmed, not letting it grow past the corners of my mouth and keeping the hair from touching the edge of my upper lip, in accordance with Army Regulation 670-1, chapter 3-2-a paragraph b.

Always know your Regs!! Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:14 pm

Alex, good to see you here! Really glad that things are going better for you! cheers
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:51 pm

Enail wrote:Alex, good to see you here! Really glad that things are going better for you! cheers

Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by PintsizeBro Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:27 pm

I don't know you from before, but you're not too old to go to college. Not by a long shot. One of my fraternity brothers when I was in college was a veteran about your age. You won't even stand out.

PintsizeBro

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:05 pm

PintsizeBro wrote:I don't know you from before, but you're not too old to go to college. Not by a long shot. One of my fraternity brothers when I was in college was a veteran about your age. You won't even stand out.

I see. In my case my CO recommended me to go to the ROTC program while I am there.

Back to top Go down

Post by PintsizeBro Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:25 pm

If that's something you're interested in, go for it. College has a lot to offer, but it does take some navigating to get the best experience out of it.

PintsizeBro

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:41 pm

PintsizeBro wrote:If that's something you're interested in, go for it. College has a lot to offer, but it does take some navigating to get the best experience out of it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum