Personality types

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Personality types

Post by Aalo on Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:01 pm

Any psychology nerds out there?

I'm a big fan of the Enneagram system (http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/dis_sample_36.asp). It was the first I felt made actual sense regarding the different ways people deal with stressors (all the way since childhood) and then struggle to keep their shit together as adults as healthily as possible. Since then I've also learned a bit more about the Myers Briggs and childhood conditioning in general, but the Enneagram keeps striking a chord with me in how in depth it describes the workings of the psyche.

How do you feel about these personality shenanigans? How do you think different personality types manifest themselves depending on the person's gender? Do you think knowing about this helps us live our lives better? Or it doesn't really make much of a difference?

By the way, I'm an Enneagram type four, which is probably why I'm overthinking all of this. http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/TypeFour.asp

Aalo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Personality types

Post by reboot on Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:10 pm

That was pretty cool. I am a 5 and a 7, which fits me pretty well.

Type Five
The Investigator
The perceptive, cerebral type. Fives are alert, insightful, and curious. They are able to concentrate and focus on developing complex ideas and skills. Independent, innovative, and inventive, they can also become preoccupied with their thoughts and imaginary constructs. They become detached, yet high-strung and intense. They typically have problems with eccentricity, nihilism, and isolation. At their Best: visionary pioneers, often ahead of their time, and able to see the world in an entirely new way.

Type Seven
The Enthusiast
The busy, productive type. Sevens are extroverted, optimistic, versatile, and spontaneous. Playful, high-spirited, and practical, they can also misapply their many talents, becoming over-extended, scattered, and undisciplined. They constantly seek new and exciting experiences, but can become distracted and exhausted by staying on the go. They typically have problems with impatience and impulsiveness. At their Best: they focus their talents on worthwhile goals, becoming appreciative, joyous, and satisfied.
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:22 pm

I'm a 4 and a 5. I've taken Enneagram tests before, and I've historically been one of those with the other as a "wing," though it's varied depending on my mood which one is the main type and which one is the wing.

Type Four
The Individualist
Fours are self-aware, sensitive, and reserved. They are emotionally honest, creative, and personal, but can also be moody and self-conscious. Withholding themselves from others due to feeling vulnerable and defective, they can also feel disdainful and exempt from ordinary ways of living. They typically have problems with melancholy, self-indulgence, and self-pity. At their Best: inspired and highly creative, they are able to renew themselves and transform their experiences.

Type Five
The Investigator
Fives are alert, insightful, and curious. They are able to concentrate and focus on developing complex ideas and skills. Independent, innovative, and inventive, they can also become preoccupied with their thoughts and imaginary constructs. They become detached, yet high-strung and intense. They typically have problems with eccentricity, nihilism, and isolation. At their Best: visionary pioneers, often ahead of their time, and able to see the world in an entirely new way.
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:28 pm

I love putting myself into personality boxes! I got 1 and 5, which is a... not terrible match, but kind of feels like it's very heavy on one aspect of my personality and missing another one. But I've always found the Enneagram types feel somehow off from representative types, though they have some interesting ways of looking at things.

Type 1
The Reformer
The Rational, Idealistic Type
Ones are conscientious and ethical, with a strong sense of right and wrong. They are teachers, crusaders, and advocates for change: always striving to improve things, but afraid of making a mistake. Well-organized, orderly, and fastidious, they try to maintain high standards, but can slip into being critical and perfectionistic. They typically have problems with resentment and impatience. At their Best: wise, discerning, realistic, and noble. Can be morally heroic.  

Type Five
The Investigator
The perceptive, cerebral type. Fives are alert, insightful, and curious. They are able to concentrate and focus on developing complex ideas and skills. Independent, innovative, and inventive, they can also become preoccupied with their thoughts and imaginary constructs. They become detached, yet high-strung and intense. They typically have problems with eccentricity, nihilism, and isolation. At their Best: visionary pioneers, often ahead of their time, and able to see the world in an entirely new way
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:10 pm

I love these tests. It validates me, somehow, to be thrown in a little labelled box that doesn't have any strings attached.

I always get INTJ in Myers-Briggs, but I'll give the Enneagram a whirl...

I am...

Type Six
The Loyalist
The committed, security-oriented type. Sixes are reliable, hard-working, responsible, and trustworthy. Excellent "troubleshooters," they foresee problems and foster cooperation, but can also become defensive, evasive, and anxious—running on stress while complaining about it. They can be cautious and indecisive, but also reactive, defiant and rebellious. They typically have problems with self-doubt and suspicion. At their Best: internally stable and self-reliant, courageously championing themselves and others.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:23 pm

Well that was unsatisfying, I got a tie between 4, 5, 6, and 9.
The Wisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumnflame on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:04 pm

I got the most points in Three, with Six and Seven tying a couple of points behind.

Type Three
The Achiever
Threes are self-assured, attractive, and charming. Ambitious, competent, and energetic, they can also be status-conscious and highly driven for advancement. They are diplomatic and poised, but can also be overly concerned with their image and what others think of them. They typically have problems with workaholism and competitiveness. At their Best: self-accepting, authentic, everything they seem to be—role models who inspire others.

...which, I mean, it says some nice things that I wouldn't mind, but I definitely wouldn't describe myself as driven or workaholic (though I wish I were just a bit more so). The other two have things that sure, I could see applying, but in a horoscopian sort of way.

Which is funny, because I'm pretty sure the last time I tried the Enneagram (probably at least... seven years ago, maybe more) I was a solid Nine, maybe with an Eight-wing.
Autumnflame

View user profile http://priscillakim.carbonmade.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:19 pm

Yeah, my problem with this, and with all personality tests really is that I can rarely simply pick one option--it often seems the case that I identify with both options very strongly, and if I answered if with the other, equally compelling understanding of myself that I feel I would get a completely different answer.

Like for instance with question 8 I’ve often needed to show affection for people around me, sometimes in grand displays, in fear of them deciding to leave me, but I’m generally in my life I’m a private person and don’t mix much with others. With question 10, I happen to focus a great deal on myself, and on others—both are great sources of anxiety. In regards to 11 I’m known for both being the introspective one and who makes up her mind and sticks to it. And with number 17, similar to number 8, I’ve scared people off with my need for intense, close connections, but I also isolate a lot and that proves detrimental to me. Same with 18, I’m a very emotional person, but a very stubborn one as well and while sometimes I’ll get trapped in my feelings sometimes I’ll shove them aside in a very detrimental and ultimately harmful way because I just want it bad enough. I have the same feeling of well, both are true about me for 20, 21, 22, 27, 28, 29 (I’d be amiss if I didn’t admit to playing therapist probably more than is healthy, but damn, shaking down those who I don’t consider my intellectual equal is pretty fun too), 31, 32, 36 (I can be really fucking charming if I want, and I’ll turn on that power for professors and such, but most of the time I can’t be damned). So, uhhh, yeah, wasn't expecting much from this. That being said, I got a tie between Type 6 and Type 9, which I found surprisingly accurate.

Type Six
The Loyalist
The committed, security-oriented type. Sixes are reliable, hard-working, responsible, and trustworthy. Excellent "troubleshooters," they foresee problems and foster cooperation, but can also become defensive, evasive, and anxious—running on stress while complaining about it. They can be cautious and indecisive, but also reactive, defiant and rebellious. They typically have problems with self-doubt and suspicion. At their Best: internally stable and self-reliant, courageously championing themselves and others.

And
Type Nine
The Peacemaker
The easy-going, self-effacing type. Nines are accepting, trusting, and stable. They are usually grounded, supportive, and often creative, but can also be too willing to go along with others to keep the peace. They want everything to go smoothly and be without conflict, but they can also tend to be complacent and emotionally distant, simplifying problems and ignoring anything upsetting. They typically have problems with inertia and stubbornness. At their Best: indomitable and all- embracing, they are able to bring people together and heal conflicts.
(I'm actually kind of surprised I've been the only one so far to get this.)

So basically that's a pretty good summary of my character--half Lawful Good, why can't we all be happy and hug it out? veering on Lawful Stupid sometimes, and Chaotic Neutral Imma do what I wanna do so you can either help me do it or get the fuck out my way

Also MapWater, from what I know of you, Type 6 sounds very accurate.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:19 pm

I got a 5, with a split 1 and 3 wing.
waxingjaney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:26 pm

waxingjaney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:32 pm

I generally like personality types - I have a crush on the MBTI (woo, rarest type of INFJ!), and others like the "True Colors" one are fun, too. This one I don't love - I feel like the two options are often not opposites, or both options will list one thing that describes me, and a second that doesn't at all, so I don't know which to choose. Or neither of them describe me. Or both do. I like the categories, but my results came out with 6 being only slightly higher than 5 and 4 - but very low on the caring stuff, which I don't think is true at all - it seemed to assume that if you were sometimes shy, that you would not be caring (at least, based on the choices I had to make).

But personality quizzes/assessments are pretty darn fun (and distracting...)
jcorozza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:41 pm

Not that surprised to get Type 2:

Type Two
The Helper
The caring, interpersonal type. Twos are empathetic, sincere, and warm-hearted. They are friendly, generous, and self-sacrificing, but can also be sentimental, flattering, and people-pleasing. They are well-meaning and driven to be close to others, but can slip into doing things for others in order to be needed. They typically have problems with possessiveness and with acknowledging their own needs. At their Best: unselfish and altruistic, they have unconditional love for others.

Reading the descriptions, I'd also peg myself as a 4 ("The Individualist"), but I didn't score very high on that type. When online quiz results conflict with my intuition, I disregard the quiz, because I'm an Individualist, goddamnit. Razz

(edit: and this isn't quite on the mark either: "Transformational work entails going into dark places in ourselves, and this very much goes against the grain of the Two’s personality structure, which prefers to see itself in only the most positive, glowing terms." Cause boy do I generally see myself in less-than-glowing terms. Laughing)

But I agree that some of the options weren't mutually exclusive, or neither one fit. Like #3: "I have typically been diplomatic, charming, and ambitious/ direct, formal, and idealistic." What if I've typically been diplomatic and idealistic? Or "I've been an: outgoing, sociable person/earnest, self-disciplined person"-- weird to oppose "earnest" and "sociable," as if there's something inherently disingenuous in being sociable.
Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:49 pm

I thought the choice of "I've been" as the phrasing for the questions was odd, too, because I could probably say I'd been like 90% of those things at some point - but that doesn't necessarily say much about my dominant personality traits.
jcorozza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:58 pm

Also guys, as someone who has been subjected to "scientifically verified" personality tests several times in my life, I would honestly suggest to not look too much into what your results are, because even the professional ones are mostly bullshit.

I've been forced to take the Beck Depression Inventory/Anxiety Inventory, the no good horrible sexist transphobic MMPI-2 (Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Index), and that was all 500+ fucking questions of the adult version Side-eye , the Forer Structured Sentence Completion Test, and even the fucking Rorschach inkblot test (and probably others when I was younger but I don't have my records from before 18 :grrr: ) and here's what I got from there:

You're likely depressed, introverted, and struggle with social anxiety. Also, congratulations! You are not a sociopath! Shrug

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:11 pm

Prajnaparamita wrote: the no good horrible sexist transphobic MMPI-2 (Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Index), and that was all 500+ fucking questions of the adult version Side-eye

Heh, that reminds me, in my Assessments class, we looked at the results from Jeffrey Dauhmer's MMPI - yikes. His scores were pretty indicative of who he was. But I think with a lot of these, they measure extremes better than they do those who are more in the middle.
jcorozza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kath on Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:17 am

Yeah I'm having a lot of trouble answering this, I feel like either both or none of the answers describe me.
kath

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayce on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:01 pm

Having only two options for these questions seems a bit hard. Sometimes both answers apply, I know someone who was skeptical but was also often sentimental

Jayce

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan on Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:30 am

Took a while to dig it out of the very unsearchable Flight Rising forums, but when I took the Enneagram last year (same one, I think) I somehow scored 5 on Types 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 9.

Today I scored 7 on Types 6 and 9. Sounds about right; "Loyalist" is even a word I'd choose. Wink

But yeah, hard for me to put much stock in these sorts of things. I mostly appreciate how the Enneagram forces me to choose things, because Myers-Briggs always makes it too easy to give middling answers and get middling results. But I still wonder if I don't end up "negating" some of my own answers regardless, or answering one thing "wrong" that offsets another thing that I answered "right".

For instance, I know that I think of things I choose to do for myself in terms of goals. I wanted to be able to do X, and then I worked on X, and then I either did or did not succeed in doing X. My awareness of this trait has grown in recent years, mainly I think because this "problem" I've had with looking for companionship is by far the longest I've worked at something and the greatest effort I've expended without crossing a single "goal". (But is it mostly frustrating because of that, or is it mostly frustrating because it involves a relationship, or rather, its absence?) On the other hand, I also know that every time I've ever been forced to choose between advancing myself toward whatever goal I wanted at the time (or even maintaining current "progress") and developing a better relationship with an acquaintance, friend, or family member, I've chosen the latter. So...do I describe myself as "goal-oriented" or "relationship-oriented"?

We must keep in mind that psychology as a field is relatively young. It's not that it's in some mystical sense impossible to accurately assign a sequence of numbers to one's personality; I figure I at least am almost certainly predictable enough that you probably could compress a description of my general behaviors into one of a smallish collection of labels. I suspect one of the biggest obstacles is simply cutting down noise and lossiness in communications between the test taker and the test administrator. Multiple-choice makes automatic scoring easy, but forces the test provider to dictate things in a language I may not accurately understand (e.g. in-context meaning of "goal-oriented" and "relationship-oriented"). On the other hand, if I'm allowed to give a "short answer" style explanation, as above, then someone somewhere ultimately still has to interpret that on my behalf and decide what it means; either of us might actually misunderstand the question, or they could be wrong about what I mean, or I could be wrong in my own self-assessment.
nearly_takuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AtlachNacha on Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:23 am

Prajnaparamita wrote:Yeah, my problem with this, and with all personality tests really is that I can rarely simply pick one option--it often seems the case that I identify with both options very strongly, and if I answered if with the other, equally compelling understanding of myself that I feel I would get a completely different answer.

Yeah, this. Difficult to choose, but my result of type 4 feels... mostly accurate? http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/typeFour.asp#.VRv9rYBVhBc

Also, do these remind anyone else just a little of the nature/demeanor things in white wolf games? Makes me wonder if these could be/already have been integrated into an RPG system.

AtlachNacha

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kleenestar on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:39 pm

I got a tie between:

Type Three
The Achiever
The adaptable, success-oriented type. Threes are self-assured, attractive, and charming. Ambitious, competent, and energetic, they can also be status-conscious and highly driven for advancement. They are diplomatic and poised, but can also be overly concerned with their image and what others think of them. They typically have problems with workaholism and competitiveness. At their Best:: self-accepting, authentic, everything they seem to be—role models who inspire others.

Type Six
The Loyalist

I was actually really surprised to see a 3+6 instead of 3+5 (much more my self-concept!) but I think it makes sense given how I answered the questions. In the past few years I have struggled with anxiety, indecision, and procrastination. Now that I've gotten out of my own way, I'm much more able to embody my creative, curious, inventive self. I might take the test again for "how I am these days."

3 feels especially resonant for me. One of the nicest compliments I've ever gotten was "You're better at being yourself than almost anyone else I know is at being themselves." Self-acceptance is effing awesome.
kleenestar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kleenestar on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:41 pm

(That said, these tests are generally more useful for fostering reflection and self-knowledge than they are for accurately telling you about yourself. I haven't read the research on the enneagram test, but MBTI, for example, is, er, well, not the most valid test ever created. This is not to say I don't love taking personality tests! But with my psychology researcher hat on, I just feel the need to point out that there are issues with most of them.)
kleenestar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kleenestar on Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:00 pm

Ooh! Just made Mr. Star take the test. This is pretty damn accurate:

Enneagram Type Three (the Achiever)
with
Enneagram Type Nine (the Peacemaker)

What Each Type Brings to the Relationship
This is a fairly common pairing. Nines bring enormous support, encouragement, and a sense of pride in the Three's accomplishments. Threes can feel that with the Nine behind them, they are able to be themselves, explore their potential, and become the best mate, friend, or professional that they can be. Threes can help Nines to properly value themselves, to have more self-respect, and to invest in their own development. Nines can help Threes relax and find enjoyment in simple things—Nines give them permission to not drive themselves so much. Both types also want to avoid conflicts and to put a positive spin on things—Nines are genuinely optimistic and look on the bright side, while Threes focus on being positive and hopeful, and are careful to not let people see them being down or depressed. Both types are sociable, idealistic, caring for children, animals, and the underdog. Both are usually hard working and want to achieve a degree of material success that will enable them to take care of others in a kind of extended family where everyone would be safe, comfortable, and thriving. They both want a pleasant, aesthetically pleasing home.

To this mix, Threes bring energy, personal ambition, flexibility, the ability to set and achieve long term goals, and efficiency. Threes energize Nines and bring change and excitement to the relationship. Nines bring a feeling of safety and steadiness, the assurance that the Three is loved for themselves and not just for their achievements, and the feeling of not being judged or evaluated at every moment. Threes feel that they can let down their hair and really be themselves with Nines who accept them just as they are. The sensuality of the Nine and the attractiveness of the Three can meet in a couple highly attracted to each other and attached by physical passion. In other Three-and-Nine couples, the need for comfort and security may be the main source of attachment and the pleasure they get from each other.
kleenestar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita on Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:54 pm

jcorozza wrote:
Hirundo Bos wrote:
Prajnaparamita wrote:
Hey Kleenestar, I imagine this would be a totally different thread (but only if you would be interested) but I mentioned earlier in the thread having been forced to take some of the "scientifically validated" official personality tests in various times in my life (for instance Beck Depression Inventory/Anxiety Inventory, MMPI-2, Forer Structured Sentence Completion Test and the Rorschach inkblot test) and I was wondering if maybe you could talk some about how the real diagnostic personality tests work and what we can learn from them?

kleenestar wrote:I wish I could, but these days I'm mostly typing one-handed (baby!) so I can't commit to doing this well. Doubly so because I'm only familiar with the research on some tests (e.g. MBTI) which would mean I'd have to do a lot of bringing myself up to speed. Thanks for asking, though - I'm super flattered.

MA in psychology here. I don't know the research on particular tests, and have some weaknesses around research comprehension, but I do know some of the reasoning behind such tests, if Prajna or anyone else are interested.

MA in school counseling here - I'd be interested in this type of discussion as well - I'm familiar with many of the assessments, though not as familiar with their validity/other problems, but it's something I'd be interested enough to look into it (and it could come in handy in the future!)

Yo mods, would you mind splitting the thread here?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:11 pm

Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Fri May 15, 2015 12:22 pm

This thread is ancient, but I found The Definition Of Hell For Each Myers-Briggs Personality Type to be good for a laugh.

Mine certainly fits:

INTP – You are eternally condemned to researching an extremely vapid topic using wildly inaccurate methods, mostly involving interviewing people who have no idea what they’re talking about.
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum