Ok, this is driving me up a wall.

Go down

Ok, this is driving me up a wall. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ok, this is driving me up a wall.

Post by kleenestar on Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:56 pm

Alex, I also struggle with envy. The things that provoke it for me are different but it sounds like the feeling is very much the same. I hope it helps to know that other people have a hard time with this issue.

The way that I handle my feelings of envy is as follows:
1) First, I notice and name what I am feeling. "Wow, I am very envious of what this other person has. I am angry at myself for not having it. I am judging myself negatively for not having it."
2) Next, I say, "It is okay to feel this way, but I should not take it literally. My mind is telling me something useful - this is a thing I want - but it isn't doing so in a helpful way."
3) Finally, I use the idea of helpfulness to reframe. "A more helpful way to look at this is to say, here is a person who could teach me something about this thing I desperately want." The person may not be a good teacher, and I may not be wise enough to see what I can learn from them, but it's a better place to start than envy and self-hatred.

I hope this is helpful!
kleenestar
kleenestar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ok, this is driving me up a wall. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ok, this is driving me up a wall.

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:22 am

kleenestar wrote:Alex, I also struggle with envy. The things that provoke it for me are different but it sounds like the feeling is very much the same. I hope it helps to know that other people have a hard time with this issue.

The way that I handle my feelings of envy is as follows:
1) First, I notice and name what I am feeling. "Wow, I am very envious of what this other person has. I am angry at myself for not having it. I am judging myself negatively for not having it."
2) Next, I say, "It is okay to feel this way, but I should not take it literally. My mind is telling me something useful - this is a thing I want - but it isn't doing so in a helpful way."
3) Finally, I use the idea of helpfulness to reframe. "A more helpful way to look at this is to say, here is a person who could teach me something about this thing I desperately want." The person may not be a good teacher, and I may not be wise enough to see what I can learn from them, but it's a better place to start than envy and self-hatred.

I hope this is helpful!

Why did I not think of it that way. Headsmack

Kleenestar, You are a genius. *purrs and wags tail* Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by kleenestar on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:33 pm

My pleasure to help! Let me know how trying this practice goes. It is hard work but it has worked for me - and it is such a relief to be able to be around people who have things I want without feeling awful. Plus, I've actually learned a lot of things from them by adopting this attitude. Smile
kleenestar
kleenestar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum