NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Costume help!

+2
Conreezy
jcorozza
6 posters

Go down

Costume help! Empty Costume help!

Post by jcorozza Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:50 pm

So, I'm trying to make a steampunk costume for a festival next month. I'm using this pattern: http://simplicity.com/p-6060-misses-steampunk-costume.aspx

But...I don't love the skirt, partly because it's almost too Victorian rather than modern steampunky, but also because it's a lot of fabric, and I'd rather spend money on the coat fabric, because I like the coat a lot (I'm thinking maroon, navy, or forest green. Maybe deep purple). So I'm trying to come up with an alternative - I was thinking I could make an above the knee version of the skirt (and maybe add some kind of ruffle?), or I could just wear black leggings/skinny pants with boots. Thoughts? Would pants be too "circus ringleader"?
jcorozza
jcorozza

Back to top Go down

Costume help! Empty Re: Costume help!

Post by Conreezy Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:46 pm

I immediately thought of knicks and tall boots. But in tan, yeah, that would be circus ringleader Amelia Earhart-ish.

But in purple or maroon, probably not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:51 pm

Keep the back panel of the skirt and shorten/remove the front. Might be a bit cabaret but its a fairly common Steampunk look and it leaves more room to move.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:02 pm

Shortening the skirt wouldn't be too hard. The pattern instructions should come with guidelines about how to shorten it; just make sure that the bias indicator remains a solid, straight line. However, I wonder if the coat would look a little strange with a skirt that's above the knee all around. You'd probably be better off doing an "overskirt" look with no skirt underneath (similar to Johnny's idea about keeping the back long and the front short), and then the tall boots.

Check out this website for overskirt form ideas: http://www.trulyvictorian.net/tvxcart/home.php?cat=5

Obviously most of them are Victorian-accurate (not steampunk) and thus made to wear over a bustle, but they can give you a good idea about what shape you're looking for.
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:55 pm

I think what you said is what I meant, Marty. Although I have seen it done with a crotch covering/mid thigh underskirt, too. You look a little less like a saloon girl that way.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by readertorider Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:06 pm

To me it looks like the coat already has an overskirt element and adding a split skirt or overskirt might look odd (especially if the line from the short to long section is covered by that line on the coat which it might if you're moving in it?)

If you don't want to make the skirt and the coat the same color though, would it be worth it to wait, make the coat, and then buy skirt fabric based on what you think of the coat after you try it on (with your legging/jeans/boots)? Then you might have a better idea of both what you want stylistically and what your time/budget will accommodate.
readertorider
readertorider

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrissyOrig Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:00 pm

jcorozza wrote:So, I'm trying to make a steampunk costume for a festival next month.  I'm using this pattern: http://simplicity.com/p-6060-misses-steampunk-costume.aspx

But...I don't love the skirt, partly because it's almost too Victorian rather than modern steampunky, but also because it's a lot of fabric, and I'd rather spend money on the coat fabric, because I like the coat a lot (I'm thinking maroon, navy, or forest green.  Maybe deep purple).  So I'm trying to come up with an alternative - I was thinking I could make an above the knee version of the skirt (and maybe add some kind of ruffle?), or I could just wear black leggings/skinny pants with boots.  Thoughts?  Would pants be too "circus ringleader"?

IDK why, but this skirt pattern popped into my head. Maybe something to think about? http://www.hotpatterns.com/hp-1166-deco-vibe-swallowtail-skirt/

ChrissyOrig

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:07 pm

Oh! Looking closer, the jacket IS the outer skirt! OK. So something color matched and short will avoid the Ringmaster look but still five it that punk flair.
Costume help! 3704216056_85b4ee6b14
Like this without the bustle on the back, maybe.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:38 pm

And with slightly more bum coverage...that looks cool, though!
jcorozza
jcorozza

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:55 pm

Well, with that jacket, the skirt could be backless and not make a difference but yeah. Smile

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum