LPSTs - a thought experiment

View previous topic View next topic Go down

LPSTs - a thought experiment

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:24 am

I am listening to Bujold's Vorkosigan novels in audiobook form (for approximately the 90th time), and reading comments over on DNL Prime, and mulling over Bujold's very Betan concept of the Licensed Practical Sexuality Therapist, someone whose job is basically providing sex in the context of therapy or training -- helping people get over sexual issues, teaching young adults how to be sexually responsible people, giving sex ed in the sense of actually learning sex, not just "SEX WILL KILL YOU" the way we have it here.

Would something like that ever be practical or realistic? Are there obstacles we have other than social mores blocking us from it? Can anyone ever picture themselves using or, more interestingly, being an LPST? Would they be good or bad on average?

Back to top Go down

Re: LPSTs - a thought experiment

Post by The Wisp on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:35 am

There are actually people called sex surrogates who do something like this. It is a small profession, though, and you need a referral from a therapist to see one. I'm on mobile and can't link to anything, but this is a thing.

The Wisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:00 pm

Embarrassingly, yes, there was a short period in my life where I weighed this as a career option. Calling that fact embarrassing is probably indicative of the general climate around the idea. (And yeah, surrogates = A Thing). I'd guess that like any therapist, they probably run the gamut from life-changingly helpful heroes to profoundly harmful shitheads, though for some reason I have a concept that someone must really believe in and be called to the work to be willing to deal with the stigma.

Ran across an interesting documentary on YouTube about a surrogate-type organization for the physically disabled in Japan recently. Edit: here it is (somewhat explicit, but blurred to the point of TV airability):

Werel
Moderator of "Meeting People and Dating Advice"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:33 pm

I would say that it would be a generally good thing, but that it probably couldn't exist in a way that was socially accepted enough for use to be widespread unless non-therapy-oriented sex work was also destigmatized and unless sexual mores and gender roles had shifted to the point that these services could be offered to people of all genders and orientations and not just men who were attracted to women.
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos on Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:43 pm

I think I might have wanted to fill such role, once I'd gotten my own issues sorted out, if I hadn't been afraid that the social and legal consequences would have been overwhelming. I'm certain I would be qualified, though... I have already tried getting licensed as a regular therapist, only to find out I was not qualified for that.

In general, I think that the power dynamics it would involve would be tricky... such a license would have to include a lot of training and self-examination.
Hirundo Bos

View user profile http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum