Re: Jared Leto's Joker [Suicide Squad Film]

Post by litterature on Mon May 04, 2015 4:09 pm

It looks TV series-y, doesn't it?

litterature

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny on Mon May 04, 2015 4:25 pm

Enail wrote:Cast photo is up. I'm feeling pretty meh about it, it looks very '10 years ago trying too hard to be cool and gritty', makes me suspect it'll be heavy on shock factor and low on fun.

Starring Katana, Harley, [third woman in photo], Will Smith and a bunch of square jawed thirty-something interchangeable white guys, three brunettes and two bald. Yay. Shrug

Gentleman Johnny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Mon May 04, 2015 6:01 pm

The Mikey wrote:
Enail wrote:Cast photo is up. I'm feeling pretty meh about it, it looks very '10 years ago trying too hard to be cool and gritty', makes me suspect it'll be heavy on shock factor and low on fun.

I'll err on the side of caution now that I've seen Deadshot in his actual costume. Also consider that relying on shock factor is more or less David Ayer's style and may actually fit what they may be going for.

I mean, have you not seen End of Watch (fucking brutal and brilliant), Sabotage (great action movie, I mean Arnie is in it!!) or Fury (also fucking awesome)? Razz All of them are dope and "shocking".

I haven't seen either, or anything by Ayer. And I can't say Arnie's presence in a movie is a particular plus to me. Razz I'm alright with gratuitous violence in some films, but I rarely like ones that rely heavily on being "shocking" or "gritty".

I do think this is a movie that could be good at being the kind of movie it ought to be without being a movie for me, though, so I'm somewhat interested in whether it turns out to be a creative success independent of whether it appeals to me.
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Mon May 04, 2015 6:09 pm

>bunch of SJW nerds
>"ho hum, an ensemble cast superhero movie starring a black man, a black woman, an asian woman, and a Joker with a heavy-duty don't-judge-me look"

I'm going to hold this against each and every one of you hypocrites until the end of time. Especially those of you who slobber over The Avengers Disapproving

But actually yeah, the version of the Suicide Squad this is based off of had characters dying pretty regularly and things like Harley taking Joker's face-skin and putting it on a tied up Deadshot and then trying to have sex with him. I'd bet on at least one unsavory stomach-turning government job at least
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 04, 2015 6:33 pm

Enail wrote:
I haven't seen either, or anything by Ayer. And I can't say Arnie's presence in a movie is a particular plus to me. Razz I'm alright with gratuitous violence in some films, but I rarely like ones that rely heavily on being "shocking" or "gritty".

I do think this is a movie that could be good at being the kind of movie it ought to be without being a movie for me, though, so I'm somewhat interested in whether it turns out to be a creative success independent of whether it appeals to me.

Well, that's what I'm saying. He can make a great action movie, but very rarely will he make one with any real substance to it. One of the exceptions being End of Watch, that movie kinda gives you a new perspective on what it means to be or what it's like to be a cop. Albeit it's very stylized and brutal it makes you think about what cops go through.

I don't expect any of that from Suicide Squad, just stylized gratuitous violence. Razz

So, all in all I think this movie is definitely going to be a wait & see kinda deal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Suika on Mon May 04, 2015 6:36 pm

Enail wrote:makes me suspect it'll be heavy on shock factor and low on fun.

Good, I hate fun.
Suika

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny on Mon May 04, 2015 7:14 pm

Suika wrote:
Good, I hate fun.

You're in luck! So does DC's movie arm.

Gentleman Johnny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny on Mon May 04, 2015 7:16 pm

Enail wrote:

You know what would be great? If they filmed this movie as a counterpoint to the DC hero movies and filled it with wacky (if psychotic) hi-jinks, witty repartee and showed the villains generally having fun with their limited freedom on mission. Not going to happen but it would be a great plan.

Gentleman Johnny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Mon May 04, 2015 7:32 pm

I'm sort of hoping that Amanda Waller loses control of them, they massacre the Task Force X handlers, and Joker Leto tells her to "Go ahead, call the Justice League" and we fade out to the deepest belly laugh in recorded human history
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan on Mon May 04, 2015 10:58 pm

bomaye wrote:>bunch of SJW nerds
>"ho hum, an ensemble cast superhero movie starring a black man, a black woman, an asian woman, and a Joker with a heavy-duty don't-judge-me look"

Not sure how the latter is relevant. And I mean, sure, 20~30% of the main cast being not white is progress, but I'm not about to start celebrating.

(Especially because the "black man" in question is Will Smith.)

bomaye wrote:I'm going to hold this against each and every one of you hypocrites until the end of time. Especially those of you who slobber over The Avengers  Disapproving

I like The Avengers movies because they are well-written and well-directed and goofy. I do not like how ~90% of the main cast is White (assuming you count Samuel L. Jackson) and ~80% of the main cast is male (assuming you count Cobie Smulders), but I do not have to like everything about everything that entertains me.

It's totally coincidence that most of the stuff I like is Marvel and most of the stuff I'm sort of flaccidly interested in is DC. Wink
nearly_takuan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Tue May 05, 2015 5:40 am

Edit: Oops, gotta stay clear of that

I will continue to disapprove of you all silently Disapproving
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Tue May 05, 2015 9:45 am

Please don't get into this. I was mostly just being a jerky nerd ballbuster because people I'm not allowed to talk about were meh-ing something that reflects their opinions (that I'm not allowed to talk about either) better than the super popular thing which includes a female character who is the definition of what they regularly complain about, which I'm not allowed to talk about in that context either Sad
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot on Tue May 05, 2015 10:01 am

bomaye wrote:Please don't get into this. I was mostly just being a jerky nerd ballbuster because people I'm not allowed to talk about were meh-ing something that reflects their opinions (that I'm not allowed to talk about either) better than the super popular thing which includes a female character who is the definition of what they regularly complain about, which I'm not allowed to talk about in that context either Sad

MOD

For those wondering about this cryptic comment, Bomaye, under a different name, was a very disruptive poster in the old forum who has been allowed to join this one under very strict moderation and within very narrow guidelines. He is the only one not allowed on certain topics.

The rest of you can carry on as you wish.

/MOD
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail on Tue May 05, 2015 2:56 pm

I've split the discussion of Superheroes and class into its own thread here.

Back to Suicide Squad, I like the idea of it being fun as a counterpoint to DC Serious!  It would even make a sort of good meta message about being a hero is a sacrifice and harder (but presumably worth it, one hopes)
Enail
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye on Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:31 am

So

Much

YES
bomaye

View user profile

Back to top Go down