NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Webcomic recommendations?

+4
nearly_takuan
CP96
Enail
Prajnaparamita
8 posters

Go down

Webcomic recommendations? Empty Webcomic recommendations?

Post by Prajnaparamita Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:08 pm

Per suggestion of Enail--she thought you guys might have some good recommendations to toss my way.

I really love fantasy, with well-developed characters in an interesting universe--I'll look over a lot of other faults for that. Or in other words, Order of the Stick is still my favorite thing ever, and I've been continuously reading it for five years now, and holy crap was that ugly when it first began. I also really loved Digger, but admittedly that was a lot more "graphic novel that just happens to be posted online" than webcomic and I read it long after it ended so I just plowed through the entire thing in one night.

That being said, I really, really disliked Goblins, even though it follows a similar formula to Digger and OotS (lampshade high fantasy tropes, intersperse drama with comedy) I wonder if it's something about expressing sympathy for the MRAs that renders you completely incapable of writing female characters? Razz

I've had less luck with comedy and slice of life--I enjoyed Manly Men Doing Manly Things, until it went weird and the author fully admitted being burnt out and not giving a shit, and just in general I hate slice of life anything. So yeah, Questionable Content being set in my beloved hometown wasn't enough to get me to give a shit about the characters.

Any suggestions?

Back to top Go down

Webcomic recommendations? Empty Re: Webcomic recommendations?

Post by Guest Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:48 pm

I have one.

Yes, this comic is pretty nonsensical but has some pretty good story arcs and a lot of the characters appear and reappear in later comics. Of course, I'm referring to... GUNSHOW! It's a really funny strip that ran for about 6 or so years. The first year of comics were kinda weird, but they got funnier and funnier. I dunno, it's really my kind of humor if you could guess. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:11 pm

Ah, Digger is one of my favourite comics, online or off! Fantasy, interesting characters and interesting universes, I can work with that.  

Unfortunately, my top two recs are on hiatus, but one has a fairly large archive to work through and will hopefully be back by the time you get caught up, and the other is coming back soon, so I'll mention them anyway. Also unfortunately, I haven't picked up anything new for a while, so most of the stuff I can suggest has been running a long time and has quite the archive to get through.

The Meek is not currently online, but is apparently coming back into existence in May. It's an epic story focusing on three very diffferent characters whose connection is yet unclear, with a solid-feeling and unique world, some humour, some really dark bits, and gorgeous, expressive art.

Red Moon Rising is a story about magic, politics and intrigue in a post-industrial setting (steampunk, I suppose technically, but it doesn't have that steampunk feel). Very character driven, and possibly the most beautiful comic art I've seen. This one's on hold for an unknown length of time but is still planning to return.

Others you might like:

Unsounded A huge story in a strange, chock-full world developed in amazing detail, but at its heart is a story about two complex, difficult characters working with - or against - each other.

Gunnerkrigg Court - try this one if you enjoy fantasy boarding school-type stories (not a Harry Potter ripoff!) or things that use fairytale and myth-type things and symbolism in interesting ways. The art starts out a little rough, but it sounds like you can handle that, and it improves greatly.

A couple of shorter ones!

Emily Carroll does a number of short comics, mostly horror (but not so horror-ful that I regretted reading them, and I'm a giant scaredy-cat). Her art is excellent and she often uses the online comic form to do interesting things, so it's a good one for if you're looking to keep up with a more academic look at comics. She's getting quite a lot of attention outside the webcomic world.

Ryan Andrews Eerie, fantastical and gentle short comics, with almost a faintly Miyazaki-ish feel to me.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CP96 Fri May 01, 2015 7:55 am

Seconding Gunnerkrigg Court. Beautiful art, great story, interesting characters, good balance between humour and drama. Strongly recommended.

A few more then:

Dresden Codak. Really weird. The art is absolutely incredible (especially in the newer strips) and it deals with some interesting philosopical themes. "Dungeons and Discourse" is one of my favourite strips ever.

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal. This is a gag-a-day comic, but it's kind of like xkcd in that it's often really insightful and thought provoking as well as being funny.

Subnormality. Long, verbose, complex comics dealing with the weird idiosyncracies of human life both big and small. Alterantely hilarious and soul-crushing.
CP96
CP96

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Fri May 22, 2015 2:14 am

Webcomic recommendations? Tumblr_nmx2ndUL5T1u3pts6o1_500
Webcomic recommendations? Tumblr_nmx2ndUL5T1u3pts6o2_500
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Chickpea Sarada Fri May 22, 2015 2:22 pm

Awkward Zombie is one of my long-time favorites. Sorry for not saying much here but I have to get to work right after posting this.
Chickpea Sarada
Chickpea Sarada

Back to top Go down

Post by InkAndComb Tue May 26, 2015 3:27 pm

Monster Pulse! http://www.monster-pulse.com/comic/page-1-chapter-1
A group of children get attacked by etheral creatures experimented on in a lab. After being attacked, the creatuers possess an organ and it comes out of your body as a creature.  A government agency is involved, as well as the troubles that come from making friends, and I am really enjoying watching this one blossom. I'd say this is a slice-of-life/modern fantasy type.

Blindsprings- About a young girl who,  a long time ago, took a place as a magical guardian in exchange for...mysteries! Hints of royalty dilemmas combined with the young woman being discovered in modern times, where magic is all but controlled or eliminated, and those with a natural disposition have been deemed social person non gratis. Art is of note and the original reason I followed. Steam punk-y type setting?
http://www.blindsprings.com/comic/blindsprings-cover-book-one

Nimona- Funny AND feelings filled! The story of a sassy shapeshifter who joins an infamous villain of her time as his sidekick, but has a mysterious past.  Ends up becoming a (hilarious) commentary on friendship, what it means to know someone, and how we can consolidate our past into who we are now. Has ALSO just concluded, so may not be easy to find as it was before (first few chapters online).

Rice Boy, Order of Tales, Vattu- one of the most creative webcomics I read was Rice Boy, with an abstract and artistic edge and a taste for symbolism without getting too heavy handed. Fully created worlds and races, no real time setting I could possible reference.  Vattu is currently in progress, Order of Tales is what I'd suggest starting with to get a flavor for the writing, but both OoT and Rice Boy are concluded (and AMAZING).

I'm so awful at descriptions, but I LOVE webcomics. More to come as I think of them!

Last edited by InkAndComb on Tue May 26, 2015 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : a word)
InkAndComb
InkAndComb

Back to top Go down

Post by HSavinien Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:54 am

If you're still looking for recs, I'd add Stand Still. Stay Silent, which is a post-apocalyptic fantasy set in Scandinavia. It's not super-long yet, but the world-building is fascinating and the art is goooorgeous. Girl Genius has been running for thirteen years now and is a "gaslamp fantasy" with incredible characters and ridiculous mad science. Namesake mixes urban fantasy with literary magic, including characters from the lands of Oz and Wonderland alongside people who are trying to control or destroy the world using stories.

http://hsavinien.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:14 pm

Webcomic recommendations? 1517371657-2018-01-31-Apathetic

Fuck rofl
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum