NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

War on Women Ragefest! (Rude Language ALERT)

+5
Enail
reboot
caliseivy
Robjection
BiSian
9 posters

Go down

War on Women Ragefest! (Rude Language ALERT) Empty War on Women Ragefest! (Rude Language ALERT)

Post by BiSian Fri May 08, 2015 1:56 am

To rage about all things related to the Hobby Lobby case, birth control, abortion restrictions, "legit rape," and other things that make us stabby.
I will enumerate my rage in a vain attempt to keep things brief.

1. IUDs and Plan B don't cause abortions, you ignorant fucks!
2. Insurance is part of my compensation--you don't get to control what I use it on!
3. Also, birth control prevent abortions--see Colorado
4. Oh wait! Colorado just ended a program that was providing LARCS (long acting reversible contraception) to low income women. A program that had cut the teen pregnancy rate, WIC program usage, abortions, etc...Because women should incur risks when they dare to have sex!!
5. Texas, you dumbass rednecks, if 1/15 high schoolers gets chlamydia, CHANGE YOUR FUCKING ABSTINO-SEX EDUCATION. IT'S NOT WORKING!!!

I have more rage, but I have to run to class. Who wants my rage-baton?
BiSian
BiSian

http://thepurplebackpack.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

War on Women Ragefest! (Rude Language ALERT) Empty Re: War on Women Ragefest! (Rude Language ALERT)

Post by Robjection Fri May 08, 2015 8:34 am

Until I saw it come up in the comments on DNL prime, I don't think I'd ever even heard of Hobby Lobby. Is it only in America or does it have footholds in other countries too?

Back to top Go down

War on Women Ragefest! (Rude Language ALERT) Empty Re: War on Women Ragefest! (Rude Language ALERT)

Post by caliseivy Fri May 08, 2015 10:48 am

Robjection wrote:Until I saw it come up in the comments on DNL prime, I don't think I'd ever even heard of Hobby Lobby. Is it only in America or does it have footholds in other countries too?
I hadn't heard about the store until I heard about the case, from a website I follow or when the case was on the news (I forget which came first for me). It looks like it's just in the US, for now at least. I have never seen one, but at least one of my coworkers has set foot in a hobby lobby before, in one of the nicer areas of the state.

The ruling was absolute bullshit, and depressing, but to me not particularly surprising.

Oh BiSian, don't you know there's not actually a War on Women, just a War on Men. The War on Women is over because some women said so...

Wait a minute...
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Fri May 08, 2015 11:29 am

I heard a speaker last week talking about RFRA, the law used in this suit. Up until this ruling it has been applied very narrowly. In fact, in one ruling against a Native American tribe who opposed a road through a sacred site, it was ruled that the destruction of a religion did not impede its practice.It has mostly been used to try and protect religious minorities in prisons, schools, etc.. And challenges under it failed a lot due to narrow reading.

This is the first time it has been used in a reproductive rights case and now, suddenly, it is all broad and shit? Really? I guess when the religious majority feels that their right to impose their beliefs on others is infringed interpretation gets loose :/
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Fri May 08, 2015 11:43 am

Multiple businesses have been using the freedom of religion stance to justify not providing services of certain kinds or to certain people that "goes against their religion." There was a story in the news about two weeks ago about a man (I think in VA) who refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple's wedding because homosexuality went against his religious beliefs. The use of religion as a shield for business practices is a whole 'nother argument though.

The more I think/hear about ways in which other people are hellbent on controlling the bodies of complete strangers - namely women - the creepier the whole thing gets.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Fri May 08, 2015 12:30 pm

I'm moving this thread to Gender, Identity and Society, since it seems pretty solidly to belong there.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Fri May 08, 2015 12:42 pm

God damn it, I knew I shouldn't have looked at this thread. Now I'm all stabby too.
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Fri May 08, 2015 2:28 pm

What makes me sad is that HL has some cool stuff that I'd buy if they hadn't personally takn this bullshit all the way to the Supreme Court and opened a loophole you use as a blimp hangar.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Fri May 08, 2015 2:51 pm

Gentleman Johnny wrote:What makes me sad is that HL has some cool stuff that I'd buy if they hadn't personally takn this bullshit all the way to the Supreme Court and opened a loophole you use as a blimp hangar.

I used to shop there all the time and genuinely resent that the owners are such asshats that they had to go on my boycott list. Michael's is pretty similar if there are any of those in your area, though.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Fri May 08, 2015 2:59 pm

I'd never seen a Hobby Lobby in our area until after this case. I'm guessing it had been there for at least a year, but it was something that didn't register in my brain until after. I will make sure never to shop there. Honestly, I'm not sure what they sell, what I couldn't get at Michael's or Joann's instead.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Fri May 08, 2015 2:59 pm

There are but they don't have the cool faux-vintage fixtures and metal signs.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Fri May 08, 2015 3:14 pm

Wondering wrote:I'd never seen a Hobby Lobby in our area until after this case. I'm guessing it had been there for at least a year, but it was something that didn't register in my brain until after. I will make sure never to shop there. Honestly, I'm not sure what they sell, what I couldn't get at Michael's or Joann's instead.

They also have items for interior decorating, with prices in the Target range but with a different and sort of distinct look.

Gentleman Johnny wrote:There are but they don't have the cool faux-vintage fixtures and metal signs.

Ah, yeah, then you're out of luck. I got some things for my office there long before the lawsuit, and unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anywhere that sells things in that style that isn't vastly more expensive.

Shame the place has to be owned by douchebags.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Fri May 08, 2015 8:39 pm

eselle28 wrote:
Wondering wrote:I'd never seen a Hobby Lobby in our area until after this case. I'm guessing it had been there for at least a year, but it was something that didn't register in my brain until after. I will make sure never to shop there. Honestly, I'm not sure what they sell, what I couldn't get at Michael's or Joann's instead.

They also have items for interior decorating, with prices in the Target range but with a different and sort of distinct look.

Ah, well, our interior decor consists of wall to wall Ikea bookcases filled to the brim with books. And art from local artists we got at art fairs. Smile

As far as rage, things I've felt ragey about recently:
1) In many states, rapists have paternal rights to children they fathered via rape. Some of them even telling the women they raped that he won't pursue custody of the child if she doesn't proceed with rape charges against him.
2) Texas and 11 other states invalidate a woman's DNR if she's pregnant. You're just an incubator with no right over your body at all if you're pregnant there. :grrr:

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sun May 10, 2015 10:07 pm

This is different than the reproductive rights issues, but the lack of testing rape kits makes me all sorts of homicidal, doubly so because kits from poorer communities were less likely to be tested, so there is class and usually race based neglect on top of gender. It just feels like rape and sexual assult cannot be taken too seriously as crimes if no one bothers to process the evidence.

And the scary thing is no one actually knows how many untested kits are out there
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sun May 10, 2015 10:34 pm

My state's legislature, which meets for only 80 days every other year and should be theoretically concerned with managing the social fallout from an oil boom and working toward diversifying the economy to temper the inevitable bust, instead spent most of the 2013 session trying to ban abortion.

Thankfully, it didn't follow suit this year. However, it did fail to pass a bill prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity for the purposes of employment or housing. That's right, folks, in North Dakota it's entirely legal to refuse to hire someone because he or she is gay - something that even the most conservative people I know consider to be morally wrong. Thanks, state representatives, for looking out for our interests.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by BiSian Mon May 11, 2015 4:33 am

eselle28 wrote:My state's legislature, which meets for only 80 days every other year and should be theoretically concerned with managing the social fallout from an oil boom and working toward diversifying the economy to temper the inevitable bust, instead spent most of the 2013 session trying to ban abortion.

Thankfully, it didn't follow suit this year. However, it did fail to pass a bill prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity for the purposes of employment or housing. That's right, folks, in North Dakota it's entirely legal to refuse to hire someone because he or she is gay - something that even the most conservative people I know consider to be morally wrong. Thanks, state representatives, for looking out for our interests.

Hissss.... North Dakota. The only thing that's been tempering my Feminist Rage there has been the delicious schedenfreude I feel from the news that Randy Boehning (HAHAHAHA Worst name ever!) was publicly busted for hitting on 21 year old dudes on Grindr. Seriously asshole, how DARE you support homophobic discrimination that your own constituents don't even want...and then turn around wank off to dick pics on your iPhone?!?!
BiSian
BiSian

http://thepurplebackpack.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Mon May 11, 2015 1:56 pm

I have two friends, women friends, who live in North Dakota, so I hear all about these things that are going on there from them, and it fills me with rage, as well.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum