Fear of scent and hair *gasp* down there! [split]

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Fear of scent and hair *gasp* down there! [split]

Post by Caffeinated on Sun May 10, 2015 12:01 pm

I find myself wondering a bit if some of this is a generational thing. I was out of college (just barely) before I ever even heard of Brazilian waxing as a thing. I remember there was an article in Salon (which was this brand new website back then, this would have been 1999) about it as a new thing that a few celebrities (maybe it mentioned Sarah Jessica Parker?) were doing. I remember reading the article and thinking "are you fucking kidding me? Hot wax on my most sensitive bits? And then rip the hair out? No thanks!!"

But I was an adult already, and it was new, not widespread. Having pubic hair was the norm, and removing it was the anomaly. I also had had very little exposure to porn at that point (we still had dial-up internet back then, kids!)

Based on what I think I recall about the age range of people posting here, I feel like the women closer to my generation seem more likely to come down on the less afraid side of this question, and the women closer to the millennial generation seem more likely to come down on the more afraid side of the question.

What do you think? Has the normalization of bare genitals and the formerly unthinkably widespread access to porn changed things for girls growing up?
avatar
Caffeinated

Posts : 455
Reputation : 273
Join date : 2014-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear of scent and hair *gasp* down there! [split]

Post by reboot on Sun May 10, 2015 12:47 pm

Caffeinated wrote:I find myself wondering a bit if some of this is a generational thing. I was out of college (just barely) before I ever even heard of Brazilian waxing as a thing. I remember there was an article in Salon (which was this brand new website back then, this would have been 1999) about it as a new thing that a few celebrities (maybe it mentioned Sarah Jessica Parker?) were doing. I remember reading the article and thinking "are you fucking kidding me? Hot wax on my most sensitive bits? And then rip the hair out? No thanks!!"

But I was an adult already, and it was new, not widespread. Having pubic hair was the norm, and removing it was the anomaly. I also had had very little exposure to porn at that point (we still had dial-up internet back then, kids!)

Based on what I think I recall about the age range of people posting here, I feel like the women closer to my generation seem more likely to come down on the less afraid side of this question, and the women closer to the millennial generation seem more likely to come down on the more afraid side of the question.

What do you think? Has the normalization of bare genitals and the formerly unthinkably widespread access to porn changed things for girls growing up?

Agreed, I am a bit older than you so Brazilian waxes became a thing in grad school and I thought it was a weird idea and one only Muslim women did. The only reason I ended up fully waxed (and I mean left with only eyebrows and eye lashes) is because I was getting my legs waxed at a high end resort in Alexandria, Egypt and did not realize that "the full packet" was not just your whole leg. By the time I realized my error too much hair was already gone to stop. This is what happens when you do things above your language level Grin
avatar
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Posts : 2514
Reputation : 1005
Join date : 2014-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear of scent and hair *gasp* down there! [split]

Post by Wondering on Sun May 10, 2015 2:38 pm

Yeah, I'm about your age, reboot, and I don't do this waxing. Or shaving anything that isn't on my legs. Trimming is minimal. It's just not a thing I learned or anyone I know was doing. And it's not an expectation or desire of my husband. I have to keep an eye out for yeast infections because I'm diabetic, but other than that, I'm not worried about anything that's part of my genital area.

So much of this stuff seems like quite basic misogyny: Fear and hatred of female body parts. And I think it's unfortunate that younger women have been made to feel worried about it. Sad

_________________
-Nevertheless, she persisted

Wondering

Posts : 1117
Reputation : 436
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear of scent and hair *gasp* down there! [split]

Post by caliseivy on Sun May 10, 2015 2:47 pm

Wondering wrote:So much of this stuff seems like quite basic misogyny: Fear and hatred of female body parts. And I think it's unfortunate that younger women have been made to feel worried about it. Sad

It's a double-standard too. In my experience guys aren't expected to trim or shave down there, or freshen up, before oral.
avatar
caliseivy

Posts : 302
Reputation : 87
Join date : 2014-10-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear of scent and hair *gasp* down there! [split]

Post by Guest on Sun May 10, 2015 3:24 pm

caliseivy wrote:
Wondering wrote:So much of this stuff seems like quite basic misogyny: Fear and hatred of female body parts. And I think it's unfortunate that younger women have been made to feel worried about it. Sad

It's a double-standard too. In my experience guys aren't expected to trim or shave down there, or freshen up, before oral.

Really? I dunno, I've had the opposite experience, I could be wrong but I've felt the pressure to be clean shaven too before I realized that my groin area is pretty sensitive and leaves me itchy even when I trim my pubes.

As for the general topic of pubic hair and smells... well, man or woman, it doesn't matter what gender you are, smells should be expected. Especially considering you sweat and use those organs for the removal of bodily waste, add the fact that that area doesn't get any fresh air either. -shrug- Dudes shouldn't be shocked when they get a girls pants off for the first time, especially considering they don't smell as good either. Maybe dab in some baby power after a shower to eat up the moisture that's what I do sometimes.

Then regarding pubic hair... for me, I don't really care. I think that so long as I don't get a bunch of pubes in my mouth, I would not mind going down on a girl. It sounds like fun, actually. :3

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Fear of scent and hair *gasp* down there! [split]

Post by Caffeinated on Sun May 10, 2015 3:29 pm

caliseivy wrote:
Wondering wrote:So much of this stuff seems like quite basic misogyny: Fear and hatred of female body parts. And I think it's unfortunate that younger women have been made to feel worried about it. Sad

It's a double-standard too. In my experience guys aren't expected to trim or shave down there, or freshen up, before oral.

I haven't found that it's entirely absent in men. I've certainly known plenty of men who trim their pubic hair (my preference) and some who shave (kind of weirds me out, actually). And I've known some to take a shower or courtesy rinse if they think oral might be a thing that could happen. Actually, that last seems especially common in men who have an intact foreskin, which makes sense, as they've also received some body negative messages about their genitals being dirty or smelling bad. Personally, I think the best for oral sex on a man is a man with an intact foreskin who has showered fairly recently but not immediately before sex, so there's not an accumulation of sweat from the day, but there are some of those good pheromones. I tend to figure lots of men feel the same about women's genitals and pheromones.
avatar
Caffeinated

Posts : 455
Reputation : 273
Join date : 2014-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear of scent and hair *gasp* down there! [split]

Post by Autumnflame on Sun May 10, 2015 5:49 pm

Eh. I go fully hairless, but (while I am of course a product of my environment and all the messages I get therein, and am thus supported in the route I go) it's less about fear and more about comfort. I just find pubic hair itchy and the way it clumps when I have a period (when I had a period - thank you BC!) to be annoying, and it does unavoidably trap smells more (though not to the extent that there's a noticeable difference when you shower regularly). But I also rarely get ingrown hairs and I don't feel any pressure to keep it perfectly smooth - a slight stubble ranging from freshly-shaved to five-o'clock-shadow is the norm for me, along with stray hairs that happened to escape the razor because they were out of the way. I might try waxing someday, but that would require growing it out and dealing with the infernal short-itchy-stage. I do try to shave before I anticipate getting busy, but it's mostly a courtesy thing, given as the chafing from stubble is horrendous.

At least a good half of the men I've been with have trimmed or otherwise groomed themselves, which I appreciate. Bare or trimmed is good, either way. I do find a wild bush to be something of a turnoff, but given as I mow the lawn, I feel comfortable asking for the same in return.
avatar
Autumnflame

Posts : 181
Reputation : 55
Join date : 2014-10-03

View user profile http://priscillakim.carbonmade.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear of scent and hair *gasp* down there! [split]

Post by PintsizeBro on Mon May 11, 2015 12:38 am

Caffeinated wrote:I tend to figure lots of men feel the same about women's genitals and pheromones.

Yes. Very much so. In fact, women secrete more pheromones in the genital area than anywhere else on the body. With men, the genitals are the #2 area, and the armpits are the #1 area.

Uncut guys do smell more than cut guys; more skin = more smells. But as long as their hygiene is good, it's not unpleasant.

PintsizeBro

Posts : 307
Reputation : 233
Join date : 2015-02-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear of scent and hair *gasp* down there! [split]

Post by Gman on Mon May 11, 2015 9:41 am

Well, from what little experience that I do have - I have never had issues with smells in the private areas of a woman. I actually quite enjoyed giving oral. It's a lot of fun in many ways.

The only thing that I suddenly realized when I started having sex was my OWN hair down there - which I basically never trimmed till then. Regularly washed it, obviously, but never trimmed. So that started happening. Made sense - if the woman does that for my convenience, then I should absolutley do the same for her :-)
avatar
Gman

Posts : 233
Reputation : 57
Join date : 2014-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fear of scent and hair *gasp* down there! [split]

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum