NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Men's toiletries and products

+4
PintsizeBro
Gentleman Johnny
WJMorris3
eselle28
8 posters

Go down

Men's toiletries and products Empty Re: Men's toiletries and products

Post by eselle28 Tue May 05, 2015 12:07 am

Oh, Old Spice definitely has a scent. It's just that it's not one that is to modern, uh, scent palates considered to be exclusively masculine. I mean, they have their marketing, but it's basically a spicy floral. That's more feminine than most things marketed to women these days. That's not to say it's bad or that men shouldn't use it. It's just that the ideas of what a masculine scent have shifted a lot since it was invented and these days it's stuck mostly relying on marketing - because otherwise, it isn't something that would be categorized as being for men.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Tue May 05, 2015 12:43 am

I've never thought of Old Spice as being exclusively for men, no matter how many times I hear that eight note whistle.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Mon May 11, 2015 4:37 pm

WJMorris3 wrote:I've never thought of Old Spice as being exclusively for men, no matter how many times I hear that eight note whistle.

I still have about half a stick of Old Spice's Wolfthorn. Sadly, they cancelled the animal based ones that I liked. Every time I open it up, I can't help but notice that their most manly scent named for a most manly animal smells exactly like. . .Hawaiian Punch. Might be time to spring for sandalwood scented everything.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by PintsizeBro Mon May 11, 2015 5:30 pm

I grabbed a bottle of Wolfthorn body wash because it was on clearance, and... yeah. It smells like Hawaiian Punch. I buy Every Man Jack's sandalwood line, and while it is gendered (it's got "man" on the label), it's not over the top obnoxious about it.

PintsizeBro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Mon May 11, 2015 5:39 pm

Oh, I love Everyman Jack stuff. Generic prices, simple scents. Target quit carrying it and I always just assumed it was a house brand. Time to order a full rack of stuff off of their website.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by PintsizeBro Mon May 11, 2015 7:57 pm

These days my body wash and shampoo are EMJ, my shaving soap and aftershave are from Taylor of Old Bond Street (though I may try out EMJ's, the luxury shave cream doesn't come in sandalwood but cedar won't clash), and I use Brylcreem in my hair. I smell pretty good.

PintsizeBro

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 11, 2015 8:01 pm

I think just about every brand mentioned here doesn't exist in Australia, but I've never been bothered by using 'womens' hair care or body products. Especially when it comes to hair. Most 'mens' stuff doesn't seem to be as good for long hair or smell as nice.

Back to top Go down

Men's toiletries and products Empty Men's toiletries and products

Post by Gentleman Johnny Tue May 12, 2015 2:24 pm

There's a local new age/hoodoo/herb shop that I'm fond of. I'm currently in discussion with them to make all my bathroom supplies for me with natural ingredients and scents. I'm sure it'll be a bit more expensive but
A. It supports local business
B. It lets me work with them to customize things for my specific needs.
C. Boutique brands for men is an underserviced market, so if we can figure out how to promote it, it'll be good for them, too.

Maybe we should have a men's cosmetics thread split here?

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 12, 2015 8:25 pm

Honest question: what the hell is a 'masculine scent'? When I think of a masculine scent I think of like... BO or something nasty.

IDK about you, but I'll stick to my Nautica Voyage cologne. ;D I'm beyond using Old Spice and Axe. -cringe-

As for deodorant, since I sweat a lot, I recommend an anti-antiperspirant. A good choice, oddly enough, are the ones made by Arm & Hammer and add a good cologne to your arsenal and hey, you're smelling great!

DISCLAIMER: Use any sort of cologne sparingly, two quick sprays should do it.

Back to top Go down

Post by PintsizeBro Wed May 13, 2015 2:55 pm

These days, a "masculine scent" is just, uh... a scent that a lot of people agree is masculine.

The closest I can get to a definition that isn't invented by marketing, is a scent that complements the natural smell of men's bodies. Not stank, but fresh sweat on clean skin has a distinctive - and not unpleasant - smell.

I tend to go for woodsy, spicy scents. My body wash and deodorant are sandalwood, my cologne of choice combines cedar, hazelnut and star anise for a sweet, spicy, "outdoorsy" kind of scent.

PintsizeBro

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2015 3:15 pm

PintsizeBro wrote:These days, a "masculine scent" is just, uh... a scent that a lot of people agree is masculine.

The closest I can get to a definition that isn't invented by marketing, is a scent that complements the natural smell of men's bodies. Not stank, but fresh sweat on clean skin has a distinctive - and not unpleasant - smell.

I tend to go for woodsy, spicy scents. My body wash and deodorant are sandalwood, my cologne of choice combines cedar, hazelnut and star anise for a sweet, spicy, "outdoorsy" kind of scent.

>$100 for cologne

Men's toiletries and products 1077-wat-simpsons

That's... some pricey cologne, bruh. D:

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Wed May 13, 2015 3:46 pm

The Mikey wrote:
PintsizeBro wrote:These days, a "masculine scent" is just, uh... a scent that a lot of people agree is masculine.

>$100 for cologne

That's... some pricey cologne, bruh. D:

That is pretty normal for a good cologne or perfume. Mine is $102 for a 3.4 oz bottle Of course, since you use it sparingly, it lasts for about a year, so about $2 per week
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Gman Wed May 13, 2015 4:24 pm

Oh man, I loved old spice deodorant, it was my favorite one... until one day it just kind of vanished from all the local drugstore shelves Shrug - I liked it due to the very amusing commercials and to be honest, they had the scents that I liked the best.... but now I can't seem to find it at all, at least in my city, which is extremley odd... all that is left now are brands like "Axe" and "Crema Men". I now use "Axe" body deodorant, which is nice but I still miss old spice Sad
Gman
Gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Wed May 13, 2015 4:51 pm

I get my cologne custom blended at about $30 a bottle but yo can get similar ones at Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab (BPAL). The one I'm currently using is "Crowley", named for the character in Supernatural that's cinnamon and (I think) pepper and tobacco leaf or similar. Smooth and spicy. BPAL has a couple I really like - Chimera and Old Demons Of The First Kind in particular.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by CP96 Fri May 15, 2015 9:33 am

PintsizeBro wrote:These days my body wash and shampoo are EMJ, my shaving soap and aftershave are from Taylor of Old Bond Street (though I may try out EMJ's, the luxury shave cream doesn't come in sandalwood but cedar won't clash), and I use Brylcreem in my hair. I smell pretty good.

Man, I love Taylor of Old Bond Street but it's so bloody expensive. At the moment I use Proraso - sandalwood & shea butter shaving soap and eucalyptus & witch-hazel aftershave - as a high-quality but cheaper alternative. For washing I use Wright's coal-tar soap which is cheap and cheerful but has a pretty old-school masculine scent.
CP96
CP96

Back to top Go down

Post by PintsizeBro Fri May 15, 2015 11:32 am

It's definitely expensive, but it lasts such a long time - if I buy the large shaving cream and aftershave, that'll last me a year.

Of course, I have a beard, so I only shave my neck these days, but that wasn't always the case.

The Proraso stuff looks really good though, and it even comes in sandalwood! Maybe I'll try something different next time I need to buy shaving cream, which will actually be pretty soon.

PintsizeBro

Back to top Go down

Post by CP96 Sat May 16, 2015 9:35 am

What blades do you use? I switched over to Feather blades in a double-edged safety razor recently and it's amazing how much less irritation I get now. It's also very cheap (£20 for 100 blades).
CP96
CP96

Back to top Go down

Post by PintsizeBro Sat May 16, 2015 1:51 pm

Right now I'm using Dorco blades and they're ok but not great - the second shave is the best. I've used Derby in the past and they are pretty good. You're not the first person to recommend Feather. I've heard good things about Merkur too, and while they are expensive relative to other individual razor blades ($8 US for a single 10-pack on Amazon), they're still much cheaper than overpriced multiblade cartridges.

Sometimes when I want to mix things up, I use a barber's straight razor (they take half a DE blade, so I get the experience of the straight razor without having to do all the work to maintain the edge) instead of my safety razor. It's actually quite a lot of fun, and I'd definitely recommend it for someone going from bearded to clean shaven.

But yeah, a single blade in either an old school safety razor or a barber's straight razor is the way to go if you have sensitive skin, I think. I don't get ingrown hairs or razor burn anymore.

PintsizeBro

Back to top Go down

Post by Barretts_Salt Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:33 am

Thinking of finding the right cologne, I've ordered from these people with success when I was looking for a signature scent. A five or so applications' worth sample is usually in the $5-10 ballpark:

http://theperfumedcourt.com/Categories/Mens-Fragrances.aspx

And just as a look at the upper end of the wardrobe, this site has some interesting articles that might be a source of inspiration:

http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/
Barretts_Salt
Barretts_Salt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum